Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > What Quicktime codecs do I need?

What Quicktime codecs do I need?
RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Feb 5, 2006, 08:21 PM

When trying to watch a DLed movie I double click and then QT loads, but just before it appears that it is going to start I get a message saying some codecs are missing. The movie will usually play, however without sound. Using VLC it works fine.

Anyone know what codecs and where to find them will make QT work as it should?

Thanks

TETENAL
Addicted to MacNN
Feb 5, 2006, 08:25 PM

I'm not recommending DivX, but it will probably work with it. DivX.

If not, open the Info window in QuickTime Player and tell as what audio codec it is in the movie.

midwinter
Mac Elite
Feb 6, 2006, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by TETENAL
I'm not recommending DivX, but it will probably work with it. DivX.

If not, open the Info window in QuickTime Player and tell as what audio codec it is in the movie.
And you can do that by opening the movie in QT and pressing pretzel+I (or window>show movie info) and telling us what it says next to "format"

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 6, 2006, 04:35 PM

Try using Divx Doctor to change the container format to .mov, then it might work.

Yea and install DivX and 3ivX

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 06:30 AM

I have a video in AVI with MP3 audio and it doesn't play. I want to convert it to DVD to watch on my TV. What do I need?
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

iluvmymactoo
Forum Regular
Feb 7, 2006, 08:20 AM

PowerBook 12" Combo 1.5Ghz 1.25GB Ram 100GB HDD - Yep it's PPC! I'll wait for the 3rd generation MacTel when they're at their best :)

midwinter
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Write
I have a video in AVI with MP3 audio and it doesn't play. I want to convert it to DVD to watch on my TV. What do I need?
Get Toast. Well worth the money and it'll convert everything for you.

macintologist
Professional Poster
Feb 7, 2006, 01:17 PM

I have a video in AVI with MP3 audio and it doesn't play.
Try using Divx Doctor to change the container format to .mov, then it might work.

Yea and install DivX and 3ivX
Sometimes you really have to pound something into their heads for them to get it.

wulf
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 01:27 PM

That is a good list, thanks. I have to say that even with the correct QuickTime codecs installed, VLC does seem to play back all those .avi downloads with far less cpu overhead.

It really is a killer media player, given the price.

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 01:35 PM

Another one is the QT WMA codec, even though I haven't seen wma-inside-AVI for a while now.

Mac Write
Mac Elite
Feb 7, 2006, 05:09 PM

I did burn it with Toast and that's when I found the problem (when watching it on my TV no sound). I already had this problem once and got the AC3 codec for QT. Now I need the MP3 audio in AVI codec for Quicktime.

That list of Codecs (and I have DivX and 3viX installed) doesn't include a codec for playing AVI's in Quicktime with embedded MP3 for audio. I also don't want to convert them all to a different audio format.
Get busy living or get busy dying
--Stephen King

Jacke
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 7, 2006, 06:24 PM

That list of Codecs (and I have DivX and 3viX installed) doesn't include a codec for playing AVI's in Quicktime with embedded MP3 for audio. I also don't want to convert them all to a different audio format.
Where to begin? The DivX codec should include an AVI import component so Quicktime can play MP3-in-AVI. Though I think it's limited to MPEG-4 video, so if the video is something strange like, uh, Cinepak, I don't think it'll work.

And running a file through DivX Doctor doesn't convert the sound to another format.

Forum Links
Forum Rules