Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > newb w/ newb questions...

newb w/ newb questions...
rezanaghibi
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 17, 2007, 08:59 PM

1st. on a pc i am used to holding ALT and pressing a series of numbers to get symbols like a copyright symbol or restricted register symbol. how do i do this on my Mac?

2nd. i have an airport express base station, a printer/scanner combo, and a portable hard drive. i want to have them on my airport network. so far i have found articles on Airport Disk, but no features seem to be remarked on in my Airport Express' documentation. My printer has yet to work via Airport Express, and I'm beginning to think that the scanner feature won't be possible for use via the airport.

This is it for now, perhaps more later. Thanks in advance!

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 17, 2007, 09:14 PM

Only the new (draft n) Airport Extreme Base Station supports sharing a drive over the network.

If you get your printer to work with your Airport Express, only the printing will work, not scanning.

rezanaghibi  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 18, 2007, 12:59 AM

what a shame.
regards,
reza r naghibi

macbook pro 15.4" intel core 2 duo
2.33 GHZ - 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
ATI Radeon X1600 256 MB

Frugle
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 18, 2007, 01:03 AM

yeah, as long as you have the printer installed on your computer, you can use it with the airport express... Install the printer on your computer using USB, then plug everything up to the aiport express and create another install but this time pointing it to a network printer, should show up without a problem.. at least it did with mine.. it was really easy to setup.

with the copyright thing, just hold down option. option turns all keys into special keys, and option+shift shows even more special keys. option+g is © option+r is ®
15" MacBook Pro | 2.16GHz | 2GB DDR2 | 100GB 5400 rpm | 256MB X1600

Javizun
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 18, 2007, 01:47 AM

¡™£¢∞§¶•ªºπ¬˚∆¬˚˙ ∫©˙ � � ƒ≈∂ƒΩåΩ´∑åƒ≈Ω√

Just hold down the alt:option key on your mac you know the rest is the same as windows.

number was already answered-the new airport express will featire aiportdisk and wireless printing which you already have, i think you need to configure it properly in order fot it to work.
A.I.R (ART IS RESISTANCE)

ibook_steve
Jan 18, 2007, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by mduell View Post
Only the new (draft n) Airport Extreme Base Station supports sharing a drive over the network.

If you get your printer to work with your Airport Express, only the printing will work, not scanning.
Huh? You can always share a volume connected to a machine. Do you mean 802.11n lets you share a drive directly without a computer or something? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here compared to what you can do already.

Steve

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 18, 2007, 06:10 PM

Yes, you can just plug the drive into the airport.

mduell
Posting Junkie
Jan 18, 2007, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by ibook_steve View Post
Huh? You can always share a volume connected to a machine. Do you mean 802.11n lets you share a drive directly without a computer or something? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here compared to what you can do already.
I never denied that. The new Airport Extreme base station allows you to share a drive by plugging it into the base station; the previous Airport Extreme base station doesn't support that. It has nothing to do with draft n.

xmattingly
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 19, 2007, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by rezanaghibi View Post
1st. on a pc i am used to holding ALT and pressing a series of numbers to get symbols like a copyright symbol or restricted register symbol. how do i do this on my Mac?
A big misunderstanding that I see coming from a lot of people who are crossing over to the Mac from the PC is the slightly different arrangement of input keys. If you are a heavy key command user, it'll be helpful to know that the Apple key (right next to the space bar) is exactly the same as your Control key on a PC... Option is the same as Alt, and holding down the Control key when you mouse click on a Mac is essentially the same as Properties on a PC.

Two things that might be helpful for you to find those hidden characters: 1) all of Apple's programs have a "Special Characters" item under the Edit menu. Select that and a floating palette will show you a roadmap of all the available characters for a font; if you double-click a character in the palette, it'll be typed into whatever text file you're in. A lot of other programs have their own character palettes; Adobe's character menu is called Glyphs.

This has gotten to be a long-winded response. For the short and sweet, check out this tutorial:

http://www.apple.com/pro/techniques/glyphspalette/

Forum Links
Forum Rules