Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iPhone, iPad & iPod > It's official... June 29th is the day!

It's official... June 29th is the day!
analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2007, 09:08 PM

Cold Warrior
Jun 3, 2007, 09:47 PM

Nice to finally see some ads and more of the product in action.

HD is a nice touch as well.

C.A.T.S. CEO
Professional Poster
Jun 3, 2007, 10:05 PM

I just saw the ad, nice!
Signature depreciated.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 3, 2007, 10:43 PM

NO. NO. NO. Why can't it be a week earlier? I'm out of the country on the 29th. D:

No info on pricing on the AT&T side, though, huh.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 3, 2007, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by butterfly0fdoom View Post
No info on pricing on the AT&T side, though, huh.
Check the website on the 29th.
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 3, 2007, 11:02 PM

These are probably some of the best ads I've seen from Apple. I'm glad the ads are showing the iPhone in action. Much, much better than any iPod ad.

Woah! The just showed the "never been an iPod" commercial during the Red Socks vs. Yankees game.... Cool.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

Bunit
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 3, 2007, 11:21 PM

I really liked these commercials. I know all the announced stuff for the iPhone, but many people don't. This is a great way for people to quickly understand it, and some possible uses.

dlefebvre
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2007, 11:41 PM

You look at these ads and you can't help but just be amazed at how easy and enjoyable it seems. No gadet techno enthusiast can't resist at the wow factor of this phone.

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 3, 2007, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by greenG4 View Post
Check the website on the 29th.
I'm too impatient to endure the gut-wrenching days until I find out that I can't get an iPhone because it would require too many complications to my existing cellphone contract that reaches its 18th month mark when I return to the U.S. (at which I theoretically would be able to upgrade, but there's bound to be too much fine print.).

D:
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 03:21 AM

Great ads. I agree that they are a lot more effective than the iPod ads were. I hope Apple makes more of these in the coming weeks. Maybe longer versions that show more action.

So I'm nervous about the initial demand for these things. I wonder if Apple has enough to meet the demand that will almost assuredly be high in the first few weeks. I hope its not going to be one of those things where most people have to wait a few weeks to get theirs. Because I will most likely be one of those people.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 08:32 AM

Wow, let's barely get it out in June.

jersey
Senior User
Jun 4, 2007, 08:35 AM

Yeah... I'm trying to come up with a strategy to get one. It's odd, as I've never had to o this before.

Anyway, I'm thinking an AT&T store is going to b the way to go. Apple store is going to be obscene.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 11:03 AM

I suggest you start lining up now.

Jasoco
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 11:08 AM

The commercials need more Jeff Goldblum. The voice guy in them seems to be trying to be Jeff, but is not Jeff. Therefore, Apple should have gotten Jeff. That would have rocked.

kman42
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 11:16 AM

How about ordering it online? If you don't have to have it the first day, that is usually the best way to get new Apple products. They generally drop-ship them fedex from China.

kman

Rooskibar03
Jun 4, 2007, 11:20 AM

Ahhh. I'm in geek overload mode right now

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 12:25 PM

Its $499 and $599 with a 2 year AT&T contract...will the phone be more if I buy it outright?
MacBook Pro 15" i7 ~ Snow Leopard ~ iPhone 4 - 16Gb

tiger
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2007, 12:31 PM

I have some cingular/ATT phones that work with my T-Mobile SIM. I wonder if the iPhone sold at the apple stores will be without a Contract, and if it will work with T-Mobile.
iBook 12" 500MHz 576MB
iMac G4 17" 1GHz (USB 2.0) 2GB 80GB SATA HD
MacBook 1.83GHz 2GB
MacBook Pro 15" 2.4GHz 4GB

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 12:34 PM

Also i'm going to Europe. any word on if this is a 'world phone'?

Brien
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Its $499 and $599 with a 2 year AT&T contract...will the phone be more if I buy it outright?
Seeing as you can't buy it without one, probably.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 01:04 PM

I wonder how or even if SIM cards are used with the iPhone. One site mentioned that there are no SIM cards, and this would make sense from the point of view that the battery isn't replaceable. If this were true, the SIM is probably in there (and programmable), just not accessible without dismantling the phone.

I guess we'll just have to find out on the 29th.

How did it come to this? Goodbye PowerPC. | sensory output

GSixZero
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 03:22 PM

I believe there's a SIM tray that slides into the top, like some treos. Steve mentioned something about it at Macworld, I think.

ImpulseResponse

King Chung Huang
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2007, 03:35 PM

The SIM card tray was mentioned in Steve's keynote. I just wish I could get an iPhone and pop in the SIM card from my existing cell service in Canada.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by King Chung Huang View Post
The SIM card tray was mentioned in Steve's keynote. I just wish I could get an iPhone and pop in the SIM card from my existing cell service in Canada.
It was but some recent pictures of the iPhone no longer showed the slot.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 06:17 PM

I really like the ringtone used in the commercials. Much better than the one Steve used during the keynote.

not_too_shabby
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 4, 2007, 06:36 PM

I found the commercial "never been an ipod" somewhat irritating. Especially since I don't want to switch to at&t from verizon. Hopefully apple will make an iphone, minus the phone....

It's like showing us some super cool iMac with new features and saying you only can get one if you sign up with comcast cable internet for example.

Oversoul
Senior User
Jun 4, 2007, 08:47 PM

I have to wonder -- just how much hype will actually translate to real word demand? Don't get me wrong, I plan on picking an iPhone up on release day if possible. And understandably there's a lot of talk about limited supplies unable to meet demand. Pure FUD?

We are talking about an iPod/Phone that's priced at $499/$599 with a required 2 year AT&T contract. I don't care if this is the holy grail of phones that all of geekdom have been waiting on Apple to build for years. No matter how you cut it, it's an expensive proposition for the average consumer. Additionally, how many potential customers are locked into existing service contracts with carriers other than AT&T, who would have to pay a penalty to break their contract to switch? When I think to my non-geek friends, there's certainly awareness of the iPhone but I don't think any of them are seriously thinking of buying one anytime soon. Thus, there's a part of me that thinks actual demand will be largely limited to the gadget geekset with disposable income to spare.

To look at a recent example: When the PS3 came out last fall, priced also at $499/$599, there was tremendous hype over a machine that offered all these gaming and entertainment features. But, when you got down to it, many of the people who stood in line were out for a quick buck and weren't buying one for themselves. (I think there's less risk of that here, which requires a two year contractual commitment for the privilege of buying an iPhone.) PS3 sales are still short of Sony's expectations. And, most people balked and still balk at the $599 price tag. It's just too expensive of a luxury for most consumers.

Of course, I'm conflicted. I want the iPhone to sell well, but I do want to get my iPhone without a wait.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 09:44 PM

I will be buying one, but I'm very concerned about having to purchase it in a store. I work for a living, and do not have the ability to camp outside a Cingular/AT&T or Apple store. If I can't order it online, I guess I can't be an early adopter.

I'm not sure what to do. What is the easiest way to get one of these, yet make sure that they are in stock?

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 4, 2007, 11:00 PM

Me getting an iPhone has nothing to do with the $600 price tag, but rather the service plan requirements and the fine print. If it turns out that I can't get one or it's too costly per month, I'm probably just going to go for an unlocked Nseries.

I don't care about the 2-year contract. I'm pleased with AT&T service and, seeing that my experiences with my mom's T-mobile phone have been miserable, I don't plan on leaving AT&T anyway. The contract will affect some, but others like me won't care.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 12:37 AM

I've been with AT&T né Cingular né AT&T Wireless for 10 years. Never had a problem. I just hope I don't have to pay $70/mo to get voice and data. Especially since it's only EDGE.

k2director
Senior User
Jun 5, 2007, 03:23 AM

I slept out on the sidewalk of my local theater to see the first showing of Return of the Jedi, back in....'83, was it?
Haven't done anything like that since, but I'm willing to do it to get an iPhone on opening day.

alligator
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 08:28 AM

I waited in line once for an hour when our local Apple store opened. That's as far as I'd go.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 10:57 AM

Word on the street is AT&T stores will open at midnight.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 12:18 PM

At the moment I'm waiting on price plans from AT&T before I make the final decision. But I'm about 85% sure I'll be getting one ASAP. If the plans are decent, I will probably make an extra effort to get one on release day. I might even take Friday off of work (claiming illness due to anxiety, of course), and then spend the day standing in lines and then hopefully spending some good quality time with my iPhone.

I sure hope all the planets align on the 29th!

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 5, 2007, 01:48 PM

I just pray it still has a SIM card and can be easily unlocked.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 04:01 PM

I have to agree with analogue SPRINKLES...
Cingular/AT&T are useless to me, and isn't even available in NYC according to the web site's zip code thingy.
But to be able to pop out that SIM card and slap in mine... ooh, how sweet that would be.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 05:01 PM

Umm, NYC has complete coverage and 3G in Manhattan.

osiris
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2007, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
Umm, NYC has complete coverage and 3G in Manhattan.
I thought so. I'm just having a bad day on the internet.
"Faster, faster! 'Till the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death." - HST

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2007, 09:52 AM

Here is a page with scans from what is apparently a handbook made for people who will be selling the iPhone. It mentions some things that we haven't known for sure before -- the iPhone definitely does have a vibrate setting, for example.

Mac Rumors: iPhone Details from AT&T's Sales Training Workbook

stevesnj
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 02:44 PM

I would like to see the AT&T contract fine print. With issues like will I have to pay to have my Cingular # transfered to AT&T, will I be penalized for breaking my Cingular contract to go to AT&T. Will the iPhone be priced higher than $499 and $599 if I just buy the phone outright? Maybe these details are being kept secret to get people to the AT&T stores and Apple Retail stores.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2007, 03:03 PM

Cingular is AT&T now, so I hardly think you would be penalized for that.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 9, 2007, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
I would like to see the AT&T contract fine print. With issues like will I have to pay to have my Cingular # transfered to AT&T, will I be penalized for breaking my Cingular contract to go to AT&T. Will the iPhone be priced higher than $499 and $599 if I just buy the phone outright? Maybe these details are being kept secret to get people to the AT&T stores and Apple Retail stores.
I laugh ridiculously at AT&T as they wasted billions spent by Bell South to make the Cingular brand, only to try and spend billions more to undo Bell South's AT&T Wireless -> Cingular branding move. They may not be doing too well if stevsnj is any indication. (No offense buddy...you just must have missed all the hoopla.)

Just so you know: AT&T Wireless (which split off of big AT&T) became Cingular after being bought by Bell South. Billions were spent to make the Cingular brand as successful and recognizable as it was. Then, AT&T bought back their former wireless unit and decided they'd rather have the old-school AT&T brand, undoing billions of dollars worth of marketing and requiring a lot more to re-educate consumers on this rebranded wireless service. Smart move? Who knows.

As mentioned, the iPhone will obviously help in this rebranding of Cingular -> AT&T.

(As to the actual dollars spent—billions or millions—it doesn't really matter. It was a lot.)

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 9, 2007, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by krove View Post
I laugh ridiculously at AT&T as they wasted billions spent by Bell South to make the Cingular brand, only to try and spend billions more to undo Bell South's AT&T Wireless -> Cingular branding move. They may not be doing too well if stevsnj is any indication. (No offense buddy...you just must have missed all the hoopla.)

Just so you know: AT&T Wireless (which split off of big AT&T) became Cingular after being bought by Bell South. Billions were spent to make the Cingular brand as successful and recognizable as it was. Then, AT&T bought back their former wireless unit and decided they'd rather have the old-school AT&T brand, undoing billions of dollars worth of marketing and requiring a lot more to re-educate consumers on this rebranded wireless service. Smart move? Who knows.

As mentioned, the iPhone will obviously help in this rebranding of Cingular -> AT&T.

(As to the actual dollars spent—billions or millions—it doesn't really matter. It was a lot.)
No, actually, what happened was SBC/BellSouth both co-own Cingular. Cingular decided to buy AT&T Wireless, which was folded into Cingular.

What happened next was SBC bought AT&T and decided to take on the more iconic AT&T name and the T stock ticker.

And this new AT&T bought out BellSouth. Which means all of Cingular became fully owned by the new AT&T. The Cingular name was phased out in favor of the AT&T name to unify all the services under one corporate umbrella name. It makes more sense, too. There's no undoing here. It's just the way things progressed.

Originally Posted by osiris View Post
I have to agree with analogue SPRINKLES...
Cingular/AT&T are useless to me, and isn't even available in NYC according to the web site's zip code thingy.
But to be able to pop out that SIM card and slap in mine... ooh, how sweet that would be.
For the (who's still counting?) time, You can probably slap in a SIM card. As long as it's an at&t SIM card. It's locked, and I think Apple's taking all measures necessary to make sure you can't unlock it.
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 9, 2007, 10:14 PM

I was a little disappointed to read in that training manual that you can only search the web/send email and talk on the phone at the same time if you have a wi-fi connection available. I suppose it makes sense, but I recall people saying that it was possible to do both on some existing phones without wi-fi.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 10, 2007, 01:11 AM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
... but I recall people saying that it was possible to do both on some existing phones without wi-fi.
Are those phones using 3G or Edge?

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 02:19 AM

Edge, I believe. But I'll admit that I have no first-hand experience with smartphones like this, so I'm not sure if it's true or not.

krove
Mac Elite
Jun 10, 2007, 09:53 AM

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 10, 2007, 01:05 PM

He's asking whether the *other* phones that people said could do simultaneous internet and voice were edge or 3G.

analogue SPRINKLES  (op)
Professional Poster
Jun 11, 2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by icruise View Post
I was a little disappointed to read in that training manual that you can only search the web/send email and talk on the phone at the same time if you have a wi-fi connection available. I suppose it makes sense, but I recall people saying that it was possible to do both on some existing phones without wi-fi.
You can't do emails when on the phone with the Blackberry pearl.

icruise
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 12, 2007, 12:06 PM

I just got a phone call from the Cingular store where I had put my name on the iPhone waiting list, and they said that they weren't going to be getting any iPhones at launch. I asked why, and the guy said that they thought Apple was going to be mostly supplying Apple Stores with stock at first. I have no idea if that is true, but it looks like I'm going to have to start calling around to see there are any stores that will be getting them in (since we don't have any Apple Stores nearby).

Forum Links
Forum Rules