Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Selling my MacBook pro?

Selling my MacBook pro?
Libid21
Dec 13, 2010, 06:46 AM

Bought a MacBook pro 15" this august. Standard one, so no special feats or anything like that. How much do you guys think I can get for it? I'm low on money and need to pay for a plane ticket to another country so if I could sell this laptop for somewhere around 1500-1600 and then buy a cheaper Dell, It would at least have me closer to my target in funds. If I can only get like 1000 for it, then obviously I'll keep it

Thanks!

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 13, 2010, 07:56 AM

Which country? You'll probably get more for it abroad. Certainly in the UK.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2010, 04:15 AM

Sorry finances are tough, Libid21.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Libid21  (op)
Dec 14, 2010, 05:43 AM

I live in USA. Any solid approximations, fellas?

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Dec 14, 2010, 07:52 AM

I meant, sell it when you get there. Wherever there is. Of course if you have to sell it to get there, then I'm no help. Check similar items ending on eBay. That generally gives you a good idea of market value. But only count items which have ended and been won. Just because some douche posts one up for $10,000 buy it now, doesn't mean its worth that.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 14, 2010, 08:12 AM

A current 15" MBP should fetch a good used price. Don't settle for that much of a discount off of Apple's refurbished prices, assuming the hardware is in very good to like new condition.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

dennisuello
Dec 28, 2010, 12:30 PM

mac2sell.com

EasyBeat88
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 7, 2011, 01:46 AM

Mac2Sell should be the general standard, although they are not always entirely accurate, and it does not account for wear and tear, or other issues.

Another site that offers price quotes for macbooks taking into account their condition is sellmymacnow.com. There are many similar sites out there, but I felt they offered the best price for broken macbook pros.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jan 7, 2011, 06:42 AM

I notice upon checking my own MBP that mac2sell doesn't seem to take warranty/Applecare into account. That seems quite an oversight to me.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 7, 2011, 06:48 AM

I am a heavy user of craiglist.org and I see Macs on there all the time. Post picture, specs and the value of the AppleCare and most important deal local face to face. Craiglist is great in major cities like Seattle, Vancouver, Toronto, NY, and terrible for smaller cities and towns. The major cities have the most users on it.
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Forum Links
Forum Rules