Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Best Places to Buy a used PB G4 ??

Best Places to Buy a used PB G4 ??
Proudest Monkey
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 26, 2002, 01:44 PM

where are the best places to buy a used / refurbished powerbook g4? i'm looking at smalldog.com and came across this

<a href="http://www.smalldog.com/product/40655" target="_blank">PB G4 / 667</a>

the only disadvantage would be its memory slots are full, but not a serious disadvantage.

can anyone suggest another dealer to look at?

(i haven't looked at many, but i don't really have time to go through all the online stores)

thanks
MacBook 13.3" C2D 2.0ghz 2gb/160gb

dialo
Senior User
Jul 26, 2002, 02:02 PM

get that ti500. It's a much better deal. You will get just about equal performance overall (667 will be slightly snappier w/ consumer apps while the 500 will be much faster @ pro media apps) and the only thing you will be lacking is a little VRAM. If you are not doing 3D work, you will be fine w/ the ti500.

<small>[ 07-26-2002, 02:04 PM: Message edited by: dialo ]</small>

euphras
Mac Elite
Jul 26, 2002, 02:47 PM

Try to get an refurbished Ti directly at the Apple online store. They sell these ones every wednesday.

Pat

Macintosh Quadra 950, Centris 610, Powermac 6100, iBook dual USB, Powerbook 667 DVI, Powerbook 867 DVI, MacBook Pro early 2011

dialo
Senior User
Jul 26, 2002, 05:12 PM

as long as it is factory refurb than you should get it at small dog if you can. It will be exactly the same, except probably a little cheaped @ smalldog and they allow you to return for any reason within 30 days. Can't beat that...

Don't buy "used" if possible...

BrunoBruin
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2002, 09:18 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif"> (667 will be slightly snappier w/ consumer apps while the 500 will be much faster @ pro media apps)</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Huh? How will the 500 be faster at anything? Also remember that the 500s had a 100MHz bus while the 667s had 133.

If you can spend the extra $200, Smalldog has the current-generation 667s (refurbished) for $2,299. The new models run much cooler and quieter, have the combo drive (the older model at Smalldog is DVD only) and have better displays. You'd also have an open RAM slot and the GPU will fully support Quartz Extreme. IMHO, that's a better deal than $2,099 for the old 667, even with an AirPort card.
"I'm an award-winning creative, the rules of society no longer apply to me."

dialo
Senior User
Jul 31, 2002, 05:43 PM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">Originally posted by BrunoBruin:
[QB]Huh? How will the 500 be faster at anything? Also remember that the 500s had a 100MHz bus while the 667s had 133.

QB]</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It's really old news that the ti500 performs much, much better at audio and video than the older ti667. It is well documented many places, for example <a href="http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/systems/PowerBookG4_fall2001/powerbook_g4_667_quake3.html#logic" target="_blank">xlr8yourmac</a>. I've done the test myself and had similar results.

And if there is still any doubt, check the scripts in the releases of FCP3 before they removed them in 3.2 or so. It clearly shows that the ti500 gets many more realtime effects than the old ti667, going so far as to create unique handicapped classes for the ti667.

I see no reason to get a old ti667 in any scenario. If you really need a graphics card, get a refurb ti667 dvi.

mrfett
Aug 1, 2002, 03:00 AM

i love smalldog. imo they're the best place to buy macs. you can also try:
<a href="http://www.powermax.com/" target="_blank">http://www.powermax.com/</a>

all the authorized apple dealers sell refurbs. small dog ones are great and i think you can still get applecare for them. i agree that a refurb 667 dvi is better than a 667 gigabit ethernet. i had the latter and it was ass slow.

i'd stay away from ebay for these because of the fact that they're so delicate (and hence could be pretty banged-up). i sold mine on ebay, but was willing to do escrow. if you can find a well-ranked seller who will do escrow, and has pictures of it and will answer questions like "how many dead pixels, how many scratches, where are the scratches?" i think you should consider it. just don't go for anything that sounds too good to be true. it's possible to get a better deal on ebay than a refurb, and you could still get applecare if it's less than a year old.

<small>[ 08-01-2002, 03:01 AM: Message edited by: mrfett ]</small>

Infinite Loop
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 1, 2002, 04:35 AM

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">It's really old news that the ti500 performs much, much better at audio and video than the older ti667. It is well documented many places, for example xlr8yourmac. I've done the test myself and had similar results.

And if there is still any doubt, check the scripts in the releases of FCP3 before they removed them in 3.2 or so. It clearly shows that the ti500 gets many more realtime effects than the old ti667, going so far as to create unique handicapped classes for the ti667.

I see no reason to get a old ti667 in any scenario. If you really need a graphics card, get a refurb ti667 dvi. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="1" face="Geneva, Verdana, Arial, sans-serif">There's no way Ti500 outperform Ti667 (Onyx). You may confuse with Ti550. There was a thread about Ti500 outperform Ti550 but 667 have 133 bus. Just one test couldn't say it all.

Go and buy 667, forget 500.

bluebean
Forum Regular
Aug 1, 2002, 07:09 AM

I'll put in a hoot for <a href="http://www.powermax.com" target="_blank">http://www.powermax.com</a> too. I've done several trade ups with them and their trade program works just like they advertise. Because they're in Oregon, the no sales-tax is nice too.

satyagrahanism
Aug 9, 2002, 01:03 AM

e b a y !

TAKE A STAND FOR HUMAN AND ANIMAL RIGHTS! SPEAK OUT AND HELP THOSE WHO ARE IN GREAT NEED.

proux
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 11, 2002, 10:46 AM

eBay! Just use good sense and buy from people that have a lot of positive feedback.

Forum Links
Forum Rules