Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Which Mouse To Buy ?

Which Mouse To Buy ?
vja4him
Jul 20, 2005, 07:57 PM

I'm shopping around for the right mouse, and could sure use some advice/recommendations. I need a mouse for my G4 iBook, and would like to have at least three buttons, with a high quality/accurate scroll wheel.

I'd prefer a USB optical mouse, not wireless. I already have a wireless mouse that uses lots of batteries, and also drains the battery in my iBook.

I just bought a Logitech mouse from BestBuy. Installed the software and my iBook froze. Couldn't do anything at all, until I plugged in my old mouse, so I could uninstall the software. Now I have to go back to BestBuy and return the mouse that claims to be OS X compatible!

Please share your experiences and recommendations. Thanks!
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

JustinD
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 20, 2005, 10:35 PM

I'd say Logitech MX1000 wireless laser mouse - best mouse EVAR.

But if it's wired you want, I use a Logitech MX510, a Razer Boomslang (non-optical but fantastic), both are great buys.
*justin

Isn't logic swell? It gives answers without really answering anything!

tavilach
Mac Elite
Jul 20, 2005, 11:12 PM

A Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical is probably your best bet. Microsoft's simple mice are known to be wonderful, and these little guys have never failed me. You needn't install any drivers, and the white matches your iBook, to boot.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

vja4him  (op)
Jul 21, 2005, 12:08 AM

Can you tell me a little more about the MX510 that you use? I found it, at JustDeals.com for $18.95. I also found the MX518.

Originally Posted by JustinD
I'd say Logitech MX1000 wireless laser mouse - best mouse EVAR.

But if it's wired you want, I use a Logitech MX510, a Razer Boomslang (non-optical but fantastic), both are great buys.
*MacPro 2.93GHz-Snow Leopard 10.6.4-8GB RAM*

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 11:03 AM

Logitech's mice don't need their drivers, either, unless you want the 5000 buttons on the higher-end ones.

I use a Logitech optical 2-button scroll mouse with no drivers, and it works super.

I also like MS's mice. MS licensed its drivers from a top-notch software developer, so the drivers are great.

tooki

jhogarty
Dedicated MacNNer
Jul 21, 2005, 11:28 AM

I've just recently purchased two mice. The Logitech MX518 (was going for the MX1000) and a Kensington PilotMouse (72127,wired).

The Logitech I use on my Dual G5. As much as I liked the look of the apple mouse, it was driving me crazy when i was trying to do some cleanup work in Photoshop. The MX518 is great. Plus it has the extra buttons you can use/program. It fits very nicely in my hand.

The Kensington I purchased to replace my MS Optical mouse that decided to croak. I don't do as much detail work on my Laptop nor did I want to spend as much money as I did on the MX518. The Kensington is a little bigger but has kewl rubber type grips on the left and right. It also has the typical Left/Right buttons, a scroll wheel/button too. It tracks very nicely. Think it has a $5 rebate too, at least at BestBuy it does.

J...
Converted 4/29/05
G5 20" iMac 2.0Ghz, 1 Gig Ram
G5 Dual 2.5Ghz Power Mac, X800 XT, 2.5 Gig Ram, 23" ACD
G4 Mac Mini 1.5GHz, 512MB Ram, 64MB VRam, Int. Modem
MacBook Pro 2.00GHz, X1600-256MB, 2.0 Gig Ram, 100GB 7200RPM HD, USB Modem

Forum Links
Forum Rules