Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Your Brush/Brushes With The Rich and/or Famous

Your Brush/Brushes With The Rich and/or Famous (Page 3)
Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jul 21, 2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by budster101
Met James Doohan once. Nice Guy. Died at 85 of pneumonia / parkinsons disease. Very sad.
85 isn't sad, it's an achievement.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Jul 21, 2005, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mojo2
mojo2 ponders: Hmm, have I ever seen him post in the P/L?
I do not believe so.
Was it HIS choice not to moderate in the P/L? Interesting and worthy of note.
No comment

I'm more in the know about tech than politics these days.
It's funny reading a lot of the rumor and speculation posts that appear on certain unnamed topics.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2005, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Scotttheking
I do not believe so.

No comment

I'm more in the know about tech than politics these days.
It's funny reading a lot of the rumor and speculation posts that appear on certain unnamed topics.
Sorry to get back to the thread so late.

But thanks for your reply and such a candid one at that!

(mojo2 says in mock sarcasm, quite willing to let it go but mentally flagging this issue for future reference if needed. )
Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 23, 2005, 09:06 AM

I've met some athletes and some players, and some famous people.

Allain Robideaux (sp): Great Canadian Champion Snooker Player, sort of an ass.
Stephen Hendry: World Snooker Champion, big fan of Formula One, played a few frames with him.
Mike Massey: Sang at my wedding, he was a several time world champion trick shot artist.
A few others but none as noteworthy, and were amateurs ranked in the world.

Allison Fisher: World Women's Snooker and Billiard Champion.
I've referreed for them as well.

Michael Jordan: Just at a game. He was great to watch.
Scotty Pippen: He was pretty cool.

Mike Ditka: At his restaurant at the time.
-

The why, how, and where is interesting for all of them.
Impressive.

Give petty people just a little bit of power and watch how they misuse it! You can't silence the self doubt, can you?

budster101
Baninated
Location: Illinois might be cold and flat, but at least it's ugly.
Jul 23, 2005, 10:53 AM

I've also refereed in the World Nine-Ball Championships and a few other things.

Camali
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 24, 2005, 11:05 AM

Met Mr. T when i was in third grade. Our teacher told us to stick around after school, that we were going to see someone who'll be famous one day. He wasn't wearing that much gold, in fact a few rings and just some earrings. But after waiting for sometime this big limo pulls up and he comes out, shook our hands etc. then headed into the school. I think he might have been dating our teacher. Anyway this is right before the Rocky movie.

Then as I was getting on a plane to New York, Stevie Wonder was sitting in First Class, and as big as that guy is, his body guard was smaller than him! And on that New York trip if I had woken up early and gone to breakfast with my friends I would have sat next to Isabella Roselini! I guess you stay in a Four Seasons hotel your bound to run into someone. And at that hotel we met a cousin of my friend who turned out to be an actress, her character died of AIDS on some soap opera..All My Children (I think) and had a small spot in the video titled "I want to Sex You Up" (I know, stupid song...band) turns out the I went to school with her and she lived a couple of blocks from me, she remembered me.

Person Man
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Camali
And at that hotel we met a cousin of my friend who turned out to be an actress, her character died of AIDS on some soap opera..All My Children (I think) and had a small spot in the video titled "I want to Sex You Up" (I know, stupid song...band) turns out the I went to school with her and she lived a couple of blocks from me, she remembered me.
Speaking of my father's cousin's son's wife Melina Kanakaredes (as I mentioned earlier), my father met Robert DeNiro.

Melina was in the movie, "Fifteen Minutes" with DeNiro. She played his girlfriend. Melina's husband is a professional chef and sometimes cooks at the Greek restaurant in Columbus, Ohio that his father owns. She invited DeNiro to the restaurant, and he took her up on the offer.

My father was at the restaurant visiting his cousin (having his usual weekly cup of coffee and shot of ouzo with him), and in walks Robert DeNiro.

dampeoples
Mac Elite
Jul 24, 2005, 03:39 PM

Petey Pablo is on my mail route.

RobOnTheCape
Senior User
Jul 24, 2005, 04:08 PM

My mother-in-law(funny lady) had dinner and danced the night away with Albert Einstein.

A friend I grew up with is now a writer/producer for a top rated show on one of the networks. Makes millions and syndication is going to her reap even more.

I used to dive a tour trolley and give a rap about Boston. One of the guys onborad looked just like George Brett of the Kansas City Royals, so I asked him if he was. He replied no, his wife smirked. Upon getting off he gave me his card, and said if I was ever in KC then look him up. This guy was not Brett, but the trainer for the Kansas City Royals.

Sat next to Joe Perry of Aerosmith on a flight back from NYC.

Had dinner with Dave Cowens.

Sneaking into the Boston Garden back in the 70s to see a Bruins game, I shared an elevator with Scottie Bowmen and a few goons.

Met Bob Cousy at a get together.

Met Mike Eruzione at a Bruins game. 1980 USA Olympic hockey team member.

mercuryjones
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jul 24, 2005, 05:03 PM

Let's see:

Clint Black - Used to Katy , Tx near us. Good friends with my older brother. Threw me in pool with crabs in it, hated him ever since

Lisa Hartman - She lived in Katy as well, and was friends with my older sister. I can honestly say that Lisa Hartman has seen my package (babysat me was I was just a baby)

Janenne Garfaolo - Las Vegas. Getting on the bus in front of my hotel, and she was sitting a table, enjoying a Starbucks cofee and readignthe newspaper. Just waved and said Good morning, and she waved back.

Anthony Edwards - During the ER glory years. Got to watch him film a scene on the street of Chicago, and talked with him a bit inbetween takes. Great guy.

Bonnie Hunt - Same time in Chicago. Ate at Ed DeBevic's, and she sat at the table next to us. Chatted with her while we waited for our food. She ended up paying for our bill. I told her no, but she said "too late" and smiled and left.

and then a bunch of near hits - Micheal Jordan, Scottie Pippin and the rest of the Bulls during the dynasty, Micheal Eisner, Jewel, Sheryl Crow and Sarah McLachlan.

cmeisenzahl
Grizzled Veteran
Jul 24, 2005, 05:33 PM

The closest I've gotten was a first class flight from Pittsburgh to LAX about 9-10 years ago. I sat right behind Martin Mull. ;-(

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 24, 2005, 07:34 PM

My mother once worked for Weight Watcher founder, Jean Niedetch. My girlfriend (who was 10 years my senior) gave a cocktail party and one of her casual friends who attended the party that night was, Jean Niedetch. My girlfriend never knew my Mom worked for her.

I could tell quite a few stories about who my friends and/or GIRLFRIENDS have known!

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 05:02 AM

Ok, another mother connection.

My mother worked as a security guard on the set of the film, "9 to 5" which starred, Dolly Parton, Lily Tomlin and Jane Fonda.

Years later while working in D.C. for a national non-profit group a phone call came in for my boss, the organization's founder and president.

Caller: Hello, Jane Fonda for Mr. XXXXXXX, please.

Mojo2: (Slight pause while mojo2 realizes it can be none other than THE Jane Fonda... Barbarella, "Hanoi Jane," star of the China Syndrome, Ted's wife, Henry's daughter and a woman my own mom had worked to keep safe, and then mojo2 thinks about all the things he'd like to say in this moment. He finally decides on the perfect thing to say.) Just one moment, Ms. Fonda.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 07:30 AM

Not even a very soft ::::: bitch :::::: before connecting? You could hav always said for an excuse, "Oh, no, I would never say you were a BITCH Ms. Fonda... I said "I have an itch..."....

Gosh.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 09:46 AM

Not even a very soft ::::: bitch :::::: before connecting? You could hav always said for an excuse, "Oh, no, I would never say you were a BITCH Ms. Fonda... I said "I have an itch..."....

Gosh.
A professional functionary doesn't allow himself the luxury of personal expression while serving at the president's pleasure.

Besides, even though I was aware of her indiscretions I didn't take them to heart for some reason. My section sergeant was a Ranger and he seethed with hatred for her. Many times he expressed a desire that she be dead.

I had no feelings like that, although I knew what she'd done was wrong.

budster101
Baninated
Jul 27, 2005, 09:51 AM

You were right in what you did. Job first.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 10:02 AM

You were right in what you did. Job first.
Yeah. All roads lead to Rome. It's all good. Go with the flow. I always thought those were just platitudes until recently as I discovered we walk the path of life and all roads take us to greater understanding and maybe that's why you see more mature or older folks in church than youngsters. It takes a while to see the pattern and the wisdom and beauty of the plan when all your life you have been focused on yourself and have been blinded by your own beauty.

Basically, I chose the right course of action there and only now can I REALLY appreciate how it might have been the best of all the possible "right" things I could have done in that moment. And how not taking that detour (as well as hundreds of others) has helped me get to where I am here, relatively intact. And now with a focus.

ghporter
Administrator
Jul 27, 2005, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by mojo2
Besides, even though I was aware of her indiscretions I didn't take them to heart for some reason. My section sergeant was a Ranger and he seethed with hatred for her. Many times he expressed a desire that she be dead.

I had no feelings like that, although I knew what she'd done was wrong.

Jane has publicly said, on more than one occasion, that she was wrong to do what she did in Viet Nam. She was used by the NVN government, and she knows that now. How many of us have been used by some large entity when we were young-or maybe it's easier to ask how many of us weren't used when we were young?

My father-in-law, a WWII vet who did four of the 82nd ABN's five combat jumps, said he thought she was "stupid" for going there. But that's it. No harshness, no hatred. He felt Axis Sally and Tokyo Rose were stupid too... Jane didn't hurt us any more than Lt Calley did...

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

OogaBooga
Mac Enthusiast
Jul 27, 2005, 10:47 AM

Hmmm I've not had very many. I've met most of the modern tennis players, and hung out with a few.

Actually I sold some iPod speakers to Andy Roddick a couple weeks ago.

Yao Ming: I was looking at PS2 games in Best Buy one day, and some huge Asian guy comes up behind me with an "excuse me." He was trying to look at some games I was blocking. I didn't realize who it was until a few seconds later when my friend pointed him out. So yeah, Yao was shopping for PS2 games at Best Buy.

He lived a few miles from my house in Katy (west Houston), and people from his neighborhood went to my highschool. Apparently, some girl in my senior English class lived across the street and baked him cookies one day.

I just remember only coming up to his elbow. And I'm not particularly short.

spacefreak
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 27, 2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by nonhuman
Kirsten Dunst was in my 2nd grade class. In 3rd and 4th grade she was in the other class. Ranney School in Tinton Falls, NJ in case you're curious.
That's great. My office is about 1/2 mile up Hope Rd. from Ranney, and I live less than 10 minutes from there (3 blocks from Bruce Springsteen, 1 mile from Bon Jovi). And my good friend's wife teaches at Ranney.

Small world.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 27, 2005, 05:43 PM

In the 90's the National Assn. of Broadcasters (NAB) held their convention at the San Francisco Marriott Hotel. I wasn't invited and wasn't really SUPPOSED to be there at all, but I dragged my gf and we went to a few meetings and sessions. At one point we found ourselves in a hospitality suite with none other than Larry King.

A few impressions...he is taller and slimmer than one might think. This was when he'd recently had the heart attack and had stopped smoking. He looked great. He was still doing radio at that point and I shook hands with him and said something about, 'we go to bed with you every night.' And almost as though I had said something wrong ( ) he turned to chit chat with someone else, but there was no one else there so he just walked toward the closest person within hailing distance.

Later when I was in the loo I stood RIGHT NEXT to Bruce Williamson (know-it-all-syndicated-radio-guy). I don't mean to de-mean him with that description, but he DOES SEEM TO KNOW ALMOST EVERYTHING ABOUT ALMOST EVERYTHING!!!

Finally, as we were going up an elevator to depart the Larry King session who do we see coming down an opposite escalator, but B.B. King!

Fun evening because of the free refreshments and interesting discussions. Seeing the notables was just a nice little extra.
( Last edited by mojo2; Jul 27, 2005 at 05:51 PM. )

SamuraiDL
Mac Elite
Jul 27, 2005, 05:50 PM

herbie hancock was mad cool when i met him. Spike lee was a total dick.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by SamuraiDL
herbie hancock was mad cool when i met him. Spike lee was a total dick.
Yeah, Spike Lee and Michael Douglas called to speak with my boss and I handled the calls.

Andre Crouch and Juan Williams sometimes visited our offices.

starman
Clinically Insane
Jul 28, 2005, 08:42 AM

Met Mark Hamill while walking through NYC when I was in high school. He was doing Amadeus at the time. Met the entire cast of Star Trek over the years. All very nice people.

My friend Jimmy Palumbo went to my high school. He's been getting bigger and bigger parts. I still keep in touch with him. For those of you that watched Friends, he was the husband of the woman having the baby next to Rachel. He's going to be on Monk soon.

Met the guy who played Peter Brady at MWNY in 2001. Milhous didn't even realize it was him .

Worked for Steve Kochan (author of the Programming in C book). Still keep in touch with him.

Met Aaron Hillegas who wrote the OS X Cocoa book at WWDC 2003.

EDIT: Forgot about bumping into Steven Tyler at Legal Seafood in Boston when I was there for MacWorld.

Mike
( Last edited by starman; Jul 28, 2005 at 09:46 AM. )

Home - Twitter - Sig Wall-Retired - Flickr

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 09:15 AM

I think I have enough remaining run-ins with celebrity that I can keep this thread on page one for a couple more days. LOL

budster101
Baninated
Jul 28, 2005, 09:18 AM

Love seeing who you've met. You have led an interesting life!

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Jul 28, 2005, 10:04 PM

Love seeing who you've met. You have led an interesting life!
Thank you. I'm easily enthralled by novel experiences and love telling the stories. Or is it that because I love telling the stories, I've sought out novel experiences?

Chicken-egg, I suppose!

I had a Big Brother through the Big Brother organization who was a professional musician in a big city symphony. I had the opportunity to go backstage and hob nob (as much as a 12 year old could hob nob) around -- but never WITH -- Harry Belafonte, Kim Weston, Jose Feliciano (can you believe I preferred the Feliciano version of Light my Fire to that of The Doors? haha!) Edward Villella, Arthur Fiedler and a few guest conductors.

At some of the BB events sometimes we got to meet sports figures.

Luis Tiant, Sam McDowell, Duke Simms, Max Alvis, Paul Warfield were among them.

I saw the (now deceased) Charlotte Hornets palyer, Bobby Phills give a talk to an auditorium full of Jr. High School kids and he was inspiring and impressed me as being a really good guy with the right stuff. Too bad he liked to drive so fast.

More to come.

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 1, 2005, 02:15 PM

I work with Willi G. Davidson. Although engineering and styling groups don't tend to get so much along.

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2005, 04:38 PM

I forgot about Mark Hamill! Detroit Auto Show, late 1977 or early 1978, I took my sister and her friends specifically because Mark would be there, and my sister stood inline for a LONG time to get his autograph. He was chewing bubble gum and blowing bubbles, and when my sister got up to him he blew a bubble as he looked up at her-and she POPPED IT! She was as startled as he was!

At the same show I met Steve Dahl. This was while he was still in Detroit, before he went to Chicago. You'll remember Steve as the guy that set up a publicity stunt wherein he had a bunch of disco singles blown up on the field during a (I think) Cubs game. The explosion damaged the field and caused the game to be postponed...needless to say that Steve was not well liked in Chicago after that.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Aug 1, 2005, 04:46 PM

Pfff, I talk with Teh God every day

-t

ghporter
Administrator
Aug 1, 2005, 05:12 PM

I have to as well...I drive in San Antonio!

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 1, 2005, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by saddino
Wow, that's awesome!

Thanks!

We get 65 cents from that, so I'll be sure to keep my share in a special place.

Now if I could only convince 10,000 more people to do the same...
Oh, btw, saddino...

There is an annoying 30 - 60 seconds of dead air at the end of your song, "Smiles" that I downloaded from ITMS. (iTunes Music Service)

Thought you'd like to know. What that means to me is that when I turn on iTunes I uncheck your song because I don't want that amount of dead space in between songs.

mojo2

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 12:31 AM

When selling cars one day a HUGE young guy walks in and the hair on my neck was standing up. I don't know why this happened but I just felt hostile towards him, like: "I don't care how big you are, I will kick your ass or die trying' but we were not fighting and there was no reason for me to feel the way I did.

Anyway, bottom line, he was a new graduate of USC and was a lineman for the football team.

He didn't buy a car from me but he did go on to play in the NFL for close to 20 years.

Bruce Matthews.

Ironic footnote: Bruce Matthews' brother, Clay ALSO had a long and distinguished NFL career playing linebacker for the Cleveland Browns. In the early 1990's I sold cars for Clay Matthews Pontiac.

Ha!

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Aug 5, 2005, 12:51 AM

Patric Swayze is coming to the restaurant I work at tomorrow.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb
Patric Swayze is coming to the restaurant I work at tomorrow.
I think he has finally escaped the questions about the circumstances of his plane's emergency landing in Arizona a few years back. Some say pot smoking was involved.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 5, 2005, 12:57 AM

Originally Posted by jorgem4
I work with Willi G. Davidson. Although engineering and styling groups don't tend to get so much along.
That would be Willi G. Davidson of Harley Davidson, right?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 5, 2005, 01:01 AM

Yeah, but don't bring up the name "Harley" to him.

- Fletch Returns...

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 07:11 PM

Seeing your new sig...

It's a 1976 Lincoln, I know some people that know some people that steal stuff... -Huggy Bear (Snoop Doggy Dog) Starsky & Hutch
Reminds me of the time one afternoon when I was sitting in SCHWAB'S PHARMACY (the one where Lana Turner was supposedly "discovered" - she denied the tale...) having a burger when Paul Michael Glaser (aka Det. Dave Starsky) walked in. No big deal to the people there, but a few heads did turn, including mine.

And then there was the time late one night, when at the Denny's in Hollywood on Santa Monica Blvd. (there is more than one Denny's Restaurant in the area) I walked by none other than the original Huggy Bear himself, Antonio Fargas, seated at the counter.

Schwab's has since been torn down. Too bad.

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 07:13 PM

Wow. Isn't that weird that I would post the new sig and spawn your memory of this?

OreoCookie
Aug 11, 2005, 07:55 PM

I met Phil Schiller and said something to him while I worked at the Apple Expo in Paris.

Coz none of you is probably into soccer, so I won't bore you with any details (I used to live in an area which has a large density of (German?) celebrities, including many soccer players and coaches.) I graduated with Paul Breitner's son (son is a complete moron), for instance.

My ex gf's father was the boss of (among other companies, of course) a company that just got bought by another company. You wouldn't guess he's a bigwig when you meet him in person.
( Last edited by OreoCookie; Aug 11, 2005 at 08:09 PM. )
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

OreoCookie
Aug 11, 2005, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by parallax
As far as people I've actually had one-on-one conversations with for more than, say, 20 minutes,

Steve Jobs. Leon Lederman (Nobel laureate). Frank Wilczek (Nobel laureate). Ray Kurzweil.

I think that's it...
So I assume you are a physicist? You don't stumble over these people by coincidence.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

davesimondotcom
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 11, 2005, 08:48 PM

Baseball players:

Dave McNally (wore his World Series ring), Les Rohr, Jeff Ballard, Bill Buckner, Commish. Bewey Kuhn, Joe DiMaggio, and a whole bunch of others who at one time played minor league ball in Billings, MT.

Baseball related:

Bill Murray (when he owned the Salt Lake Trappers)

Basketball:

Wilt Chamberlain

Football:

Marcus Allan, a large group of the 1992 Denver Broncos

Movies (other than Bill Murray) and TV:

Brent Musberger, Bebe Neuworth (sp?) - who played Lillith on Cheers, don't remember her name, but the lady who played Mrs. Cunningham on Happy Days

Politics:

Too many to name. Highest ranking was President G.H.W. Bush.
[ sig removed - image host changed it to a big ad picture ]

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 08:50 PM

Wow. Isn't that weird that I would post the new sig and spawn your memory of this?
Why does that surprise you? We are ALWAYS reacting to the things we see, hear and experience.

As for my noticing and reacting to it the same day you changed it? Well, I'm not ALWAYS on top of things the way I'd like, but I really TRY to be aware of the things around me.

Next, yes, the memory isn't what it once was, but it still works...sometimes!

And, finally, ask yourself, if you had the good fortune to have had brushes with these two TV icons wouldn't you recall them after seeing your Huggy Bear quote?

budster101
Baninated
Aug 11, 2005, 08:53 PM

Hang on. (flips coin)

Yep.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 11, 2005, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by davesimondotcom
don't remember her name, but the lady who played Mrs. Cunningham on Happy Days

Marion Ross

Before the term was invented and up until maybe ten or so years after the end of the show she was on my MILF list.
( Last edited by mojo2; Aug 11, 2005 at 09:16 PM. )

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 06:35 AM

Yeah, so I'm watching the film classic, "Woodstock" right now and I'm reminded that I was walking down Sunset Blvd. near Crescent Heights (late '70's) and I saw Richie Havens walking on the other side of the street.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2005, 06:58 AM

From the recent Olympic bid, which London won: Princess Anne, Sebastian Coe, David Beckham, Hillary Clinton, Jacque Roque (SP), Daley Thompson and a few others.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Briareus
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 20, 2005, 10:54 AM

Highlights for this year so far: played a concert with Placido Domingo, recorded with the Bee Gee's Barry Gibb (for the upcoming Barbra Streisand album - vocals were already tracked, so she wasn't there), and am booked to play a concert with Luciano Pavarotti in October.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Aug 20, 2005, 12:16 PM

Nice.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

mojo2  (op)
Professional Poster
Aug 20, 2005, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Briareus
Highlights for this year so far: played a concert with Placido Domingo, recorded with the Bee Gee's Barry Gibb (for the upcoming Barbra Streisand album - vocals were already tracked, so she wasn't there), and am booked to play a concert with Luciano Pavarotti in October.
WOW!

Forum Links
Forum Rules