Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Cingular

Cingular (Page 2)
brokenjago
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 02:30 AM

I honestly can't see Apple letting AT&T charge $100/month to every iPhone customer who wants to make the best use of their new $600 phone.
Linkinus is king.

CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Jun 4, 2007, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
What I'm praying for is that Apple/AT&T have an entirely new pricing structure for the iPhone service. Like unlimited everything for $X per month. And X= <50. (Hopefully way less).
Good one!

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by Nodnarb View Post
What I'm praying for is that Apple/AT&T have an entirely new pricing structure for the iPhone service. Like unlimited everything for $X per month. And X= <50. (Hopefully way less).

I don't see Apple allowing AT&T to keep it's current price structure, with as many rules as Apple has gotten them to change and Apple's love for use, there would be too many issues/hidden charges/etc. with a non-standardized plan.
There WILL be an "iPhone Plan". It WON'T be less than $50.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 12:02 PM

I have a feeling there are a very large amount of people who are on the fence about getting an iPhone, and the price of the plan is what will make them buy one or not buy one. The ball is in AT&T's court now. If they screw people on the prices for the plans, the iPhone will not get nearly the reception it should get.

Cold Warrior
Jun 4, 2007, 12:18 PM

I think Apple's smarter than that. I bet they're pulling the strings on the whole experience, and they wouldn't let ATT ruin it for them with a plan priced outside of the target.

Mrjinglesusa
Professional Poster
Jun 4, 2007, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
I think Apple's smarter than that. I bet they're pulling the strings on the whole experience, and they wouldn't let ATT ruin it for them with a plan priced outside of the target.
Exactly. The "iPhone" plan will be something that Apple and AT&T agreed on TOGETHER. If you don't like it, blame Apple AND AT&T. They are in this thing together...

Nodnarb
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2007, 01:47 PM

Right, but as maroma said, I seriously doubt that Apple/AT&T expect people to pay the $600 for the phone, plus $100 a month to keep it working with no limitations on it's features (internet/text/etc.).

They have to have something up their sleeves. Either the phone will cost much less, and then we will pay the $100/month or the phone will cost the same and the plan will be unusually cheap.

They can really make or break the iPhone with the monthly rate cost, and I think Apple is smart enough not to charge an outrageous amount or no one will buy...

But then there is the other part of me that sees the companies releasing the $600 phone, and fully expecting $100/month charge. I hope this is not the case, but I could really see this going either way.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 4, 2007, 02:01 PM

Yeah I can see it going either way too. I would love to have full faith in Apple and AT&T to not screw us over on the monthly rates, but there's still a big part of me that thinks they will. If the going rate is about $100/month, people will do the math and say "damn! $3000 to own an iPhone for 2 years... maybe I'll wait until it gets a lot cheaper." That's a bad thing for Apple, imo. They need the iPhone to succeed out of the gates. They should offer a killer deal for the early adopters. But I guess we won't know until AT&T decides to tell us. Hopefully at WWDC.

irunat2am  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 4, 2007, 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
Agreed! They want to make money, not scare people away
24" iMac 2.16GHz c2d ~ 3G ram ~ 250G ~ Superdrive ~ Pure Sexiness
15" Powerbook G4 ~ 1.5GHz ~ 1.5G ram ~ 160G ~ Combo

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 5, 2007, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by brokenjago View Post
I honestly can't see Apple letting AT&T charge $100/month to every iPhone customer who wants to make the best use of their new $600 phone.

This *is* Apple and AT&T we're talking about, remember?

Forum Links
Forum Rules