Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Just saw Transformers

Just saw Transformers
Cipher13
Jun 27, 2007, 09:15 AM

****ing awesome

I was pretty skeptical, especially with Michael Bay's track record (good, bad, good, bad), but this was really impressive.

It was basically Independence Day with robots instead of Aliens, but at the end of the day I went there to be entertained, and I certainly was.

Oh, and Megan Fox is a hottie.

Go see it ASAP.

PlacidTubs
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
It was basically Independence Day with robots instead of Aliens
This is what I feared from day one. I'll probably pass on this.

JoshuaZ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 10:16 AM

Grr... I have to wait until August before I can watch it in Japan. I be sad.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Jun 27, 2007, 12:04 PM

So is the movie actually about Transformers? Or is it a love story about the 2 kids, with Transformers on the side?
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 12:17 PM

I'm seeing it tonight. Damn you Cipher, I wanted to be the first cool guy. Did it premiere there already? or you're just cool?
ice

Eriamjh
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 12:21 PM

Are the transformers really just robots or are they aliens inside or controlling the robots?

I'm a bird. I am the 1% (of pets).

Paco500
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Eriamjh View Post
Are the transformers really just robots or are they aliens inside or controlling the robots?
Wow are you naive. It's all special effects.

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 12:48 PM

I have to say, as pretty as the trailer looked, it is one of the more stupid premises for a film I've seen in a long time. And I've seen some stupid ****.

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by peeb View Post
I have to say, as pretty as the trailer looked, it is one of the more stupid premises for a film I've seen in a long time. And I've seen some stupid ****.
You, always with the hatervision.
ice

peeb
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 01:09 PM

I don't hate it, it certainly looks pretty. I just have a tough time with the premise. I mean, obviously, in any fiction, and especially sf, there is some suspension of disbelief, and maybe my childhood memories of the cartoons and toys has poisoned the well, but, I just have a tough time getting into it.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 01:10 PM

It's Transformers. Don't hate.

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 01:25 PM

I thought it would be ass until I saw the last trailer which convinced me it might be the best thing ever.

I haven't been this excited in a movie in years.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 01:32 PM

International Dateline makes the Aussies a week a head.

Rumor
Jun 27, 2007, 01:34 PM

How did you see it so earlier?
I like my water with hops, malt, hops, yeast, and hops.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 01:41 PM

International Dateline makes the Aussies a week ahead.

Dakarʒ
Professional Poster
Jun 27, 2007, 01:42 PM

Shite.

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 01:54 PM

Wow, so earlier.

"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 27, 2007, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
Wow, so earlier.

Whoa, give that girl a razor! And pink-colored pubes are never cool.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2007, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by Cipher13 View Post
It was basically Independence Day with robots instead of Aliens
Gah. Independence Day. Horrifyingly bad movie.
Maybe by saying it was like Independence Day you meant that the humans and Autobots use a PowerBook to implant a virus in the Decepticons, dropping their defenses so the military can blow them up?
My God... does Randy Quaid die too?
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal!

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Jun 27, 2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Paco500 View Post
Wow are you naive. It's all special effects.
This was funnier than people acted.
I just thought someone should say so.

Cipher13  (op)
Jun 27, 2007, 10:42 PM

Originally Posted by IceEnclosure View Post
I'm seeing it tonight. Damn you Cipher, I wanted to be the first cool guy. Did it premiere there already? or you're just cool?
I'm just cool man... I'm just cool.

Originally Posted by olePigeon View Post
So is the movie actually about Transformers? Or is it a love story about the 2 kids, with Transformers on the side?
Their "love" story was surprisingly immaterial. I don't think they even kissed. There were maybe two sappy lines in the whole movie, so it really was about the Transformers.

Originally Posted by Rev-O View Post
Maybe by saying it was like Independence Day you meant that the humans and Autobots use a PowerBook to implant a virus in the Decepticons, dropping their defenses so the military can blow them up?
It had some strong ID moments, but they didn't spoil the movie. I wouldn't recommend boycotting it with that as the reason.

I hadn't been as excited about a movie as I was about Transformers in as long as I can remember, and I was nonetheless impressed. It's definitely worth seeing.

I'd go again infact.

Ado
Forum Regular
Jun 27, 2007, 11:40 PM

Question is.....
Is it better than the original movie?

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 27, 2007, 11:42 PM

You're kind of an idiot aren't ya?

At least a wee bit pompous..ooh ooh everybody liked it, so I gotta be cool and say it was bad.

I know you don't have the right or the credibility to declare this as a horribly bad movie. You're just trying to make a name for yourself as a naysayer, on the edge, out of the norm, some kind of self-declared cool guy...pshaaaw... yeah right!

Now, you can declare you didn't enjoy the movie, or even you say you didn't like it, but who the "F" are you to decide that its a horribly bad movie?
STF you idiot!

If you where any where near intelligent you would have declared you didn't like the movie and the reasons why, maybe some will agree and maybe some won't. But at least you wouldn't come across as some kind of know nothing attempt at trend setting following nutball that you are.

I liked Independence Day, it was a fun romp of "suspension of disbelief " action.

What are you? SOme kind of person who rides a flight simulator, and says "that wasn't really flying" dork!

Anywhoo, I'm looking forward to Transformers the movie, it ought to be good suspension of disbelief fun.

PS Sorry about my rant, but I'm tired of pompous arses who present themselves as if they know better
----------------------------------------------------------
"He who is tired of Weird Al, is tired of life"
Homer J. Simpson, the 90's

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 27, 2007, 11:52 PM

my review: REALLY GOOD MOVIE.

Lots of action, NO sappy-ness at all really, just homeboy OOgling that smokin hot chick, and heck I'd be doing the same. Also, it was kinda actually funny, some of it.

Summary: not too much cheese, not too much sap, lots of transforming and Optimus being a super badass.

ALSO:
Apparently the screening I went to was for a bunch of GM(General Motors) People, and a couple of other groups. One of the designers of the Camaro, Vlad was there. He fielded questions about the ride from some kids(boys and girls club thing). Pretty neat, he signed this fo' meh:

ice

analogue SPRINKLES
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by JohnM15141 View Post
I liked Independence Day, it was a fun romp of "suspension of disbelief " action.
That movie had me until they used a Mac to upload a virus to an alien computer (Using Paralells I assume) and a redneck flew a jet straight up into a spaceships ass.

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 12:20 AM

At least a wee bit pompous..ooh ooh everybody liked it, so I gotta be cool and say it was bad.

I know you don't have the right or the credibility to declare this as a horribly bad movie. You're just trying to make a name for yourself as a naysayer, on the edge, out of the norm, some kind of self-declared cool guy...pshaaaw... yeah right!

Now, you can declare you didn't enjoy the movie, or even you say you didn't like it, but who the "F" are you to decide that its a horribly bad movie?
STF you idiot!

If you where any where near intelligent you would have declared you didn't like the movie and the reasons why, maybe some will agree and maybe some won't. But at least you wouldn't come across as some kind of know nothing attempt at trend setting following nutball that you are.

What are you? SOme kind of person who rides a flight simulator, and says "that wasn't really flying" dork!

Anywhoo, I'm looking forward to Transformers the movie, it ought to be good suspension of disbelief fun.

PS Sorry about my rant, but I'm tired of pompous arses who present themselves as if they know better
This makes you sound like the ass if you ask me. He thought it was a bad movie, who cares. Since when does anyone need "credibility" to post a movie review in the lounge?

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2007, 12:27 AM

Originally Posted by gradient View Post
This makes you sound like the ass if you ask me. He thought it was a bad movie, who cares. Since when does anyone need "credibility" to post a movie review in the lounge?
Ah ha you seem like you know him and you're trying to defend him!

And no where did he say he thought it was a bad movie, if he did then it would have been open for discussion, you missed my point entirely...

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 12:40 AM

Originally Posted by Ado View Post
Question is.....
Is it better than the original movie?
The real question is...
did they have the songs, "The Touch" or "Dare", from the original movie somehow worked into this new version?
"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by cjrivera View Post
The real question is...
did they have the songs, "The Touch" or "Dare", from the original movie somehow worked into this new version?

80's buttrock lives on!

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2007, 01:15 AM

And no where did he say he thought it was a bad movie, if he did then it would have been open for discussion, you missed my point entirely...
QFT: Since when does someone need "credibility" when posting a movie review in the lounge?

Sounds like somebody pissed on your movie. Were you the best grip??

Independence Day = CRAP

Transformers= OPPOSITE OF CRAP!!!
ice

JohnM15141
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 28, 2007, 01:25 AM

QFT: Since when does someone need "credibility" when posting a movie review in the lounge?

Sounds like somebody pissed on your movie. Were you the best grip??

Independence Day = CRAP

Transformers= OPPOSITE OF CRAP!!!
IceEnclosure equals Crap

Gee now I got credibility!

You miss my point as well, its not my movie, its my opinion. I express it as my opinion...whats wrong with you? Trying to parade your opinion as fact? You earn the title of "Idiot" as well, ooh ohh I know everything, and everything is wrong!

Dum-bass!

Credibility comes from how you express your opinion, not from declaring you oppose someone else's thoughts!

When you declare someone is wrong, prove it! When you don't, you're just as dumb! oh! I just proved you're dumb!

cjrivera
Professional Poster
Jun 28, 2007, 01:26 AM

"It's weird the way 'finger puppets' sounds ok as a noun..."

IceEnclosure
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 28, 2007, 06:19 AM

IceEnclosure equals Crap

Gee now I got credibility!

You miss my point as well, its not my movie, its my opinion. I express it as my opinion...whats wrong with you? Trying to parade your opinion as fact? You earn the title of "Idiot" as well, ooh ohh I know everything, and everything is wrong!

Dum-bass!

Credibility comes from how you express your opinion, not from declaring you oppose someone else's thoughts!

When you declare someone is wrong, prove it! When you don't, you're just as dumb! oh! I just proved you're dumb!
We're thread crapping, and that's no good.

Pretty please stfu. thanks.

You should go watch Secret Garden with a box of Kleenex.
ice

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Dakarʒ View Post
International Dateline makes the Aussies a week a head.
Apparently the Taiwanese, too. I heard it was awesome (some friends and I were gonna go watch but most of the people had to go home. D.

Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
Grr... I have to wait until August before I can watch it in Japan. I be sad.
That's odd, it's out in Taiwan already.
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

RAILhead
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 28, 2007, 11:56 AM

So how did you punks get to see it already! CRAP!!11!
"Everything's so clear to me now: I'm the keeper of the cheese and you're the lemon merchant. Get it? And he knows it.
That's why he's gonna kill us. So we got to beat it. Yeah. Before he let's loose the marmosets on us."
my bandmy web sitemy guitar effectsmy photosfacebookbrightpoint

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 01:20 PM

Early screening perhaps.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 02:41 PM

STF you idiot!

The problem with your rant is that he's right.

ID4 was ASTOUNDINGLY bad. As in, it was even worse than Jurassic Park. And that's reaching round the back and digging.

The only major "blockbuster" sci-fi movie in recent history that was worse than ID4 was "Armageddon" - that didn't make me wince with the pathos of it all, that simply made me wince in pain.

MindFad
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 03:05 PM

Awh, man, I loved Jurassic Park.

analogika
Posting Junkie
Jun 28, 2007, 03:19 PM

Apart from the pathetic story, the George-Lucas-worthy dialogue, the cliché plot helpers ("Hey, I know this! This is a UNIX system!"), and the fact that the special effects were not only the actual stars of the movie, but also the better actors, it *was* a good movie.

I kinda almost wish I'd been twelve when I first saw it instead of twenty.

KeyLimePi
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by analogika View Post
Apart from the pathetic story, the George-Lucas-worthy dialogue, the cliché plot helpers ...and the fact that the special effects were not only the actual stars of the movie.
Anyone who went to that movie expecting anything more was destined for dissappointment.

I'll keep my expectations in check when I go see Transformers and I hope to be pleasantly entertained.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 05:50 PM

You are correct that I didn't say that ID4 was run of the mill 'bad' movie. There are plenty of bad movies released every year. No, ID4 stood head and shoulders above common bad movies and positioned itself firmly in the 'horrifyingly bad' category alongside other intelligence sapping dreck fests like Jurassic Park 2 and 1998's Godzilla.

Back on topic: I never cared for the cartoon Transformers (too old for the original demographic, really), but the movie looks like a whole bunch of fun. What I hope for, honestly, is that the movie does well enough to warrant a sequel which heavily involves the Dinobots. Dinobots freakin' rock!

butterfly0fdoom
Senior User
Jun 28, 2007, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by RAILhead View Post
So how did you punks get to see it already! CRAP!!11!
It's already out in some parts of the world (Taiwan and Australia thus far, I gather).
MacBook Core 2 Duo 2.16 (Black)
iPod classic 160GB
iPhone 8GB

greenG4
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 28, 2007, 10:18 PM

Aww... I liked ID4. And Jurassic Park. Just not Spidey 3. I agree with above that I have not looked forward to a movie quite this much in a long time. Won't see it for a while, though. (Baby sitters are expensive these days...)
<Witty comment here>
www.healthwebit.com

gradient
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 10:48 PM

No, I don't know him at all - when you attack people for no good reason you should expect others to chime in in their defense.

An no, I didn't miss your point at all - I simply disagree with you completely. Why? Because in the arts (film, music, literature, visual arts.... etc.) there are absolutely no hard facts that dictate whether something is good or bad. It is ALL subjective and a matter of opinion. For example, some of my all time favourite records are of sub-standard recording quality, the singer might sing out of tune, the musicianship may be sloppy. To many people they may be irrefutably bad, but to me they are fantastic and representative of pure brilliance.

When it comes to ANY review of the arts, every comment is a matter of opinion. Some opinions are obviously more educated then others, but they are opinions none the less.

edit: Transformers does look a little weak from the trailers to me. I don't like the more organic look they gave them - I loved the cartoon when I was a kid and I wish they had kept it in the same style.

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2007, 11:13 PM

Independence Day = CRAP
Fact: Will Smith has never been in a bad movie. Ever.

Actually, scratch that. It's not a fact. It's the law.

Ignorance of the law is no excuse. Lawbreaker!

Guilty!

Sentence: Go to a pool party, cop off with a hottie and take photos of the remaining hotties. Post thread here.
( Last edited by Doofy; Jun 28, 2007 at 11:22 PM. )
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 11:17 PM

Peeps who have seen it: too scary for my 6 year old daughter? She informed me earlier that she really wants to see it. I know that y'all aren't psychic and don't know what scares my daughter... and too be honest I can't figure it out either. She is good with the Harry Potter flicks, LOTR, and X-Men movies. Spiderman movies scare her. Likes to watch Hellboy, but won't watch the monster parts, except for the end. Scooby Doo Zombie Island scares her. It's kinda hit and miss what scares her!

Man a sequel with Grimlock would be cool.

Rev-O
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by Doofy View Post
Fact: Will Smith has never been in a bad movie. Ever.
*cough* wild wild west *cough*

Doofy
Clinically Insane
Jun 28, 2007, 11:25 PM

*cough* wild wild west *cough*

Oh hell no... No you didn't!
Been inclined to wander... off the beaten track.
That's where there's thunder... and the wind shouts back.

Cipher13  (op)
Jun 28, 2007, 11:29 PM

Peeps who have seen it: too scary for my 6 year old daughter? She informed me earlier that she really wants to see it. I know that y'all aren't psychic and don't know what scares my daughter... and too be honest I can't figure it out either. She is good with the Harry Potter flicks, LOTR, and X-Men movies. Spiderman movies scare her. Likes to watch Hellboy, but won't watch the monster parts, except for the end. Scooby Doo Zombie Island scares her. It's kinda hit and miss what scares her!

Man a sequel with Grimlock would be cool.
She should be fine, it isn't in any way scary. Even for a kid.

ink
Mac Elite
Jun 28, 2007, 11:55 PM

Point of fact.

Independence day was, at best, a mediocre film.

Can Railhead provide more pictures?

Forum Links
Forum Rules