Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Gaming News & Discussion

Gaming News & Discussion (Page 86)
The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 29, 2014, 02:22 PM

EA unveils Xbox One subscription service, EA Access | Joystiq

Following the success of Xbox Live Gold and PlayStation Plus, EA has unveiled its own Xbox One-exclusive subscription service dubbed EA Access.

Those who spend $5 per month (or $30 per year) on an EA Access subscription will be granted free, all-you-can-play access to the publisher's biggest Xbox One games, including Battlefield 4, Peggle 2, FIFA 14 and Madden NFL 25. EA plans to add to this selection of games over time, and according to a Game Informer tweet, the publisher has "no plans" to remove content in the future. In addition to the gratis games, EA Access members receive 10 percent discounts on all of EA's digital Xbox One content and are granted access to big EA releases up to five days prior to their official debut.

Keep in mind, there are caveats to this promotion. EA describes that early access as a "a limited trial," and not access to the full game. Further, according to the fine print, Titanfall is "excluded from all EA Access features," and given the service's mention of unlimited online play, it stands to reason that an Xbox Live Gold subscription is required for full use of EA Access. If your interest is still piqued, you can find everything you need to enroll in EA Access at the program's official website.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 29, 2014, 04:56 PM

Well that didn't take long.

Originally Posted by P View Post
I'd love some inside info from EA. Sometimes they really seem to be changing, and then they do something moronic. It's as if they're schizophrenic.

Slick shoes?! Are you crazy?!

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Jul 30, 2014, 12:56 PM

Sony: EA Access wouldn’t provide “value” for PlayStation owners | Ars Technica

“We evaluated the EA Access subscription offering and decided that it does not bring the kind of value PlayStation customers have come to expect,” a Sony representative told Game Informer. "PlayStation Plus memberships are up more than 200% since the launch of PlayStation 4, which shows that gamers are looking for memberships that offer a multitude of services, across various devices, for one low price. We don’t think asking our fans to pay an additional $5 a month for this EA-specific program represents good value to the PlayStation gamer."
So are they implying they blocked EA on offering this service on the PS4? Because that's interesting.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Jul 31, 2014, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by The Final Dakar View Post
In case you needed a reminder that gamestop actively dick over their customers 24/7
GameStop to roll out a credit card with a really high interest rate - Destructoid
Pretty much ALL store cards have a high interest rate. That's why you don't use them, or you pay the full balance on them right away.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 1, 2014, 06:01 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 1, 2014, 04:38 PM

Finally some details of Destiny’s six-player raids | VG247

“One of the pillars of the game”, raids are “extremely crafted” experiences. Players will have to form their own groups to tackle these six-player missions; there’ll be no matchmaking with strangers, as Bungie says communication will be essential.

[At this point in the drafting of the article, I alt-tabbed to Facebook and created a Destiny raid matchmaking group. Pew pew pew!]

Unlike the shorter Strike missions, Destiny’s raids could take a couple of hours at a time.
Raids won’t have waypoints and mission prompts telling you how to proceed – their self-directed challenges. Players are expected to have to attempt raids multiple times before they succeed, building their character in the process.

“[Raids aren’t] an activity that we expect you to get through the first time through,” Smith said.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2014, 07:46 AM

I see Mercenary groups being formed, with prices being set already.

ajprice
Professional Poster
Aug 4, 2014, 11:57 AM

It'll be much easier if you just comply.

Laminar
Posting Junkie
Location: Iowa, how long can this be? Does it really ruin the left column spacing?
Aug 4, 2014, 12:29 PM

Has anyone found a FPS on a touchscreen with controls that don't suck?

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 4, 2014, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by Laminar View Post
I wasn't going to say anything, but yeah, seems pointless.

mattyb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 4, 2014, 03:50 PM

A potential NVIDIA® SHIELD™ tablet customer?

sek929
Posting Junkie
Aug 4, 2014, 04:33 PM

The action in Bioshock could get a little disjointed as it was using the 360 controller, I can't imagine trying to play it on a touchscreen.

In gaming news for Fatty I've been "playing" the Walking Dead seasons from Telltale along with my girlfriend and I just picked up Dishonored for cheap, probably 3/4 through it. I plan on snagging Spec Ops: The Line next. Reaaaally hard not buying Duke Nukem Forever for $3.99, but I still put it back on the shelf.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 5, 2014, 11:46 AM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 6, 2014, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
I plan on snagging Spec Ops: The Line next. Reaaaally hard not buying Duke Nukem Forever for $3.99, but I still put it back on the shelf.
I've got The Line sitting on my hard drive as a former PS+ perk, but have yet to touch it. I heard it's a pretty amazing game.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2014, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
I've got The Line sitting on my hard drive as a former PS+ perk, but have yet to touch it. I heard it's a pretty amazing game.
I always heard the story is great but the gameplay is meh.

---

Thousands of Twitch videos silenced as streaming site mutes copyrighted audio | Ars Technica

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 7, 2014, 02:41 PM

Also deleting archived videos, even the ones that were marked "save forever."

I've not spent a lot of time on Twitch, but if I was a hardcore user, I'd probably be miffed.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 7, 2014, 03:41 PM

Starting today, Twitch will be implementing technology intended to help broadcasters avoid the storage of videos containing unauthorized third-party audio. We respect the rights of copyright owners, and are voluntarily undertaking this effort to help protect both our broadcasters and copyright owners.

What Is Audio Recognition?

We’ve partnered with Audible Magic, which works closely with the recorded music industry, to scan past and future VODs for music owned or controlled by clients of Audible Magic. This includes in-game and ambient music. When music in the Audible Magic database is detected (“Flagged Content”), the affected portion of the VOD will be muted and volume controls for that VOD will be turned off. Additionally, past broadcasts and highlights with Flagged Content are exportable but will remain muted.

The Audible Magic technology will scan for third party music in 30 minute blocks — if Audible Magic does not detect its clients’ music, that portion of the VOD will not be muted. If third party audio is detected anywhere in the 30-minute scanned block, the entire 30 minutes will be muted.

How It Works: Scanning VODs Only

Audio Recognition will only be run against audio in VODs. We are not scanning live broadcasts and there is no automated takedown of live content.

Flagged Content will display an on-screen notification informing viewers that content owned or controlled by a third party has been identified. The progress bar will also be red for the duration of the muted section.

Content-ID-New

Please note that Audio Recognition is not guaranteed to be 100% accurate. It may return false positives or miss content from copyright owners who do not work with Audible Magic. If you wish to include music in your VODs, please remember that you are responsible for clearing all such rights (this includes ambient music that may be playing in the background while you are broadcasting). If you would like to include free-to-use music in your VODs, there are a variety of resources available to you, including:

Creative Commons
Jamendo
SongFreedom
Broadcaster & Copyright Owner Appeals

If you believe that your video has been flagged improperly and that you have cleared the rights to all of the sound recordings in your uploaded video, then we will consider unmuting your video if you send us a counter-notification that is compliant with the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”).

Any copyright owner that believes that any of their content is used in any live broadcasts or VOD without authorization should submit a notification of claimed infringement to Twitch pursuant to our Terms of Service.If you are the legal owner of copyrighted music that you would like to protect via Audible Magic’s technology, visit AudibleMagic.com.

Twitch has partnered with Audible Magic without waiving any rights or defenses available to it under law. Twitch is not obligated to filter content stored on the Twitch platform by its users and assumes no liability for the actions of its users notwithstanding the implementation of the Audible Magic technology. Twitch reserves the right to stop filtering audio content in VODs in its sole discretion at any time and without liability to any third party, subject only to any contractual obligations.

We want to hear your feedback and questions. Tune in to the following events to ask us (almost!) anything:

Reddit AMA on /r/Twitch: Thursday, August 7, 10:30am PST
Twitch Weekly: Friday, August 8 at 2pm PST
And, as always, please feel free to leave your comments below. We will answer as best we can.
Twitch will be implementing technology intended to help broadcasters avoid the storage of videos containing unauthorized third-party audio

Twitch will be implementing technology intended to help broadcasters

to help broadcasters

lpkmckenna
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 7, 2014, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by sek929 View Post
The action in Bioshock could get a little disjointed as it was using the 360 controller, I can't imagine trying to play it on a touchscreen.
I'm really curious to see if they can pull this off. Aiming or moving with a touchscreen is easy enough, but doing both will be hard. And are they gonna price it like a premium title? XCom was sold for $10, but that's a lot of money for a port of an old game. I won't be surprised to see them try to get away with it.

In gaming news for Fatty I've been "playing" the Walking Dead seasons from Telltale along with my girlfriend and I just picked up Dishonored for cheap, probably 3/4 through it. I plan on snagging Spec Ops: The Line next. Reaaaally hard not buying Duke Nukem Forever for $3.99, but I still put it back on the shelf.
I'm up to date on TWD: S2, and it's pretty interesting how things are progressing. I can't wait to see how they resolve the cliffhanger at the end of Ep2. Introducing a completely new enemy group for the last episode is an unusual move. I'm also pretty glad they've taken out most of the point and click puzzles.

Spec Ops: The Line is a good game because of its story, but it's not a great shooter. I was really impressed with the visuals and the level design and the characters are good, but shooting is a weird mix of boring and frustrating. Also, don't let go of the AK47. It seems to be the only weapon that won't constantly run out of ammo, and the continuous weapon-swapping because you have no ammo gets really tedious. The game also has a weird vibe because even though you are the commander of these two other soldiers, they are constantly telling you what to do and where to go.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 11, 2014, 02:05 PM

So this news broke out today, and it gave me an idea for how to promote digital orders while maintaining profit.

No Madden NFL 15 Demo Thanks to EA Access

EA Access has launched today, allowing subscribers to freely download Battlefield 4, FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, and Peggle 2. You'll also be able to play Madden NFL 15 five days ahead of launch, which is the only way to check out the new football title early since there will be no publicly released demo.

Wait, what!?

As Polygon has explained, this is the first time since Madden NFL 06 that the series will arrive without a demo to give players a free taste. The only way to play it ahead of time would be to subscribe to EA Access, which of course leaves PS4, PS3, and Xbox 360 players up the creek without a paddle.
If publishers want to sell me a game for the same price as physical, why not offer the digital version two weeks beforehand? While I'm typically loathe for "holdback" content, given that there is always time between a game "going gold" and it actually accruing the requisite amount of physical copies to be shipped to retailers, the distinct doesn't ring as false as typical. The downside? Unless they can pull off some schtick to reclassify those early digital purchases as preorders, I have the feeling the allure of moving cheaper digital copies will somehow get buried behind the priority of having fantastic day-one sales. More reasonably, during those two weeks, it would open a window to allowing people who pre-ordered physical games to cancel in the face of what is unveiled as a shitty game.

I can't say I'd love the idea, but if for the same price as a disc I can carry around and lend out, I think you might be finally able to talk me into some digital copies.

P
Aug 11, 2014, 04:19 PM

If publishers want to sell me a game for the same price as physical, why not offer the digital version two weeks beforehand?
Because Gamestop. They'd go ape and threaten to not sell the game, nor anything more from EA ever. That's also the reason it costs the same, btw. EA probably makes quite a bit more on the digital version (definitely so if you buy it from Origin), but they can't sell ti cheaper. MFN and all that.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 12, 2014, 11:37 AM

Finally some details of Destiny’s six-player raids | VG247

“One of the pillars of the game”, raids are “extremely crafted” experiences. Players will have to form their own groups to tackle these six-player missions; there’ll be no matchmaking with strangers, as Bungie says communication will be essential.

[At this point in the drafting of the article, I alt-tabbed to Facebook and created a Destiny raid matchmaking group. Pew pew pew!]

Unlike the shorter Strike missions, Destiny’s raids could take a couple of hours at a time.
Raids won’t have waypoints and mission prompts telling you how to proceed – their self-directed challenges. Players are expected to have to attempt raids multiple times before they succeed, building their character in the process.

“[Raids aren’t] an activity that we expect you to get through the first time through,” Smith said.
Players will just use Trueachievements.com's gaming session scheduler, or avoid this part of the game.

The more I read about Destiny, the more I wonder if I'll have the time to play it nowadays. Have been too tied up playing a game on iOS that I'm in a guild for.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

P
Aug 12, 2014, 12:18 PM

Tomb Raider is going Xbone exclusive. I think that this is the first time in decades that I have been truly disappointed when a game is made exclusive - the reboot was great. The wording is weaselly enough that there could be a delayed PC release eventually, but still.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2014, 12:28 PM

The rare third-party exclusive.

Edit: between it and Titanfall, that's two now. And I feel like I might be forgetting a third. Xbox looking to money hat its way back into competition.

P
Aug 12, 2014, 12:36 PM

The rare third-party exclusive.

Edit: between it and Titanfall, that's two now.
Ryse, perhaps? That did not go so well... Note that Titanfall had a PC release as well - this will apparently not. Also note that Microsoft Studios is apparently publishing the game, so... Don't count on a PS4 release ever.

What is notable is that this is an established series that was always multiplat, not a new offering. Time to dust off the M$ tag.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2014, 04:20 PM

Upcoming PS4 System Update to v2.00 to Add Share Play, YouTube and More to Come – PlayStation.Blog

. Today at the PlayStation press conference at Gamescom, we will deliver on yet another promise from the PS4 announcement and introduce Share Play, coming to PlayStation 4 later this fall.

The best way to think about Share Play is like a “virtual couch”. PlayStation 4 will create an online local co-op experience by allowing you to invite a friend to join your game—even when they don’t own a copy of it. With this first-of-its-kind feature, you’ll be able to play games with a friend just as if you were together in the same room. Let’s say that with games… you’ll be able to invite your friend online to play against the Miami Heat for the championship as the San Antonio Spurs in NBA2K, tackle the challenging Towerfall Ascension Quest Mode together, or aide, heal, and protect you as Igniculus in Child of Light’s local co-op mode.

With Share Play, you can even jump into a game to assist a friend. For example, if there is part of a game that you can’t quite finish, you can invite a friend to take over your controls. Like handing over the controller to a friend on your couch, your screen will be shared as your friend gets through the part of the game that has been giving you trouble—can’t get past that part in The Last of Us: Remastered when you’re hanging upside down? Get a little help.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Ryse, perhaps? That did not go so well... Note that Titanfall had a PC release as well - this will apparently not. Also note that Microsoft Studios is apparently publishing the game, so... Don't count on a PS4 release ever.

What is notable is that this is an established series that was always multiplat, not a new offering. Time to dust off the M$ tag.
I don't count stuff like Ryse or Gears because they were created specifically for the system.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 12, 2014, 04:31 PM

Oh yeah, PS4 sold 10 mil.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2014, 12:17 PM

Tomb Raider is time limited, i.e., no one will really care in the end.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2014, 12:22 PM

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, two months out from E3, another games show, and we still don't have hard dates for Planetside 2 and Driveclub. Ugh.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2014, 03:29 PM

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2014, 03:37 PM

Oh yeah, PS4 sold 10 mil.
Good news. Expected news, but still good.

Tomb Raider is time limited, i.e., no one will really care in the end.
..................then I have some tweets to Crystal Dynamics that need deleting.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, two months out from E3, another games show, and we still don't have hard dates for Planetside 2 and Driveclub. Ugh.
Driveclub in particular is becoming a huge embarrassment.

The problem with defending the Xbone as being a different console than when it was revealed is that Microsoft is still the same Microsoft that is giving us Windows 8, Surface, RT, etc.

I know the divisions are separated, but I sincerely doubt the Xbox team's intentions for their customers are any different than they were Spring 2013.

Also, those NeoGAF responses were fantastic.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2014, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by Jawbone54 View Post
Driveclub in particular is becoming a huge embarrassment.
They were both supposed to be out this year, and I think both by now. Less than 4 months left and still no news? Not even a month? I think Driveclub will make it because they promised, but the haven't even bet tested Planetside, so I think it's getting bumped to 2015. A reminder that buying a console for future games can backfire.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 13, 2014, 04:19 PM

A reminder that buying a console for future games is still a pretty good idea.
Edited for sek.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 13, 2014, 04:28 PM

Note between the christian and the agnostic, it's the christian promoting lying.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 14, 2014, 10:24 AM

The point being that I'm willing to burn for eternity so long as I see Fatty on PSN.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 09:28 AM

Driveclub.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2014, 02:21 PM

Is there vehicle damage in this game? It didn't look like it from the .gif.

This new Madden ad almost makes me want to go out and purchase Madden 15... almost.

This new 'Madden 15' ad is wonderful, incomprehensible madness - SBNation.com

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 15, 2014, 02:24 PM

Yes, there's damage.

Stogieman
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 15, 2014, 02:25 PM

Anyone download the PT demo on PSN? It looks pretty damn creepy.

Edit: It's actually a demo to Silent Hill 4.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2014, 11:31 PM

Driveclub.
As long as they get that game right, I think I'm willing to wait. That's beautiful.

Jawbone54
Posting Junkie
Aug 15, 2014, 11:37 PM

Originally Posted by Stogieman View Post
This new Madden ad almost makes me want to go out and purchase Madden 15... almost.
That's one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2014, 10:42 AM

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2014, 12:16 PM

Performance Analysis: Diablo 3 at 1080p on Xbox One • Eurogamer.net

The remaining question concerns Xbox One and how Blizzard can raise Diablo 3's resolution from 900p to 1080p without impacting performance. During our conversation last week at Gamescom with Blizzard's John Hight, the production director revealed that the game was initially running at full HD, though this resolution was lowered in order to nail a consistently high performance.

"We did have 1080p, but we were finding it challenging to keep our frame-rate. Because Diablo's so much of an action game, we wanted to have a responsive feel - especially with four players. When you get four witch doctors in a room full of demons, that's probably the worst case scenario for us because we have effects going off everywhere. We want to make sure that it still feels very glassy, very responsive, and that's why we dropped resolution down on it," he explained.

"We did find it challenging early on to get it to 1080p. That's why we made the decision to drop to 900. That's what we demoed and were showing around E3 time. And Microsoft was just like, 'This is unacceptable. You need to figure out a way to get a better resolution.' So we worked with them directly, they gave us a code update to let us get to full 1080p."
I'm sure this attitude won't lead to incredibly junky frame rates for X1 games. I suppose I can't blame them for trying desperately for a tie in one area of PR after having failed so miserably on the rest.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 20, 2014, 12:18 PM

Meanwhile…

Frame rate is more important than resolution, says Xbox One's Phil Spencer | News | TechRadar

Nailing a quality frame rate is more important than achieving a 1080p native resolution, according to Xbox boss Phil Spencer.

"But in the end I don't want it to be about a number, because 1080p isn't some mythical, perfect resolution. Frame rate to me is significantly more important to gameplay than resolution and the mix of those two which brings the right art style and freedom, whether it's on PlayStation or our platform."
You may want to tell your PR people.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 24, 2014, 04:25 PM

PSN is getting DDOS'ed. Since I can't play BF4 I decide to give FEZ a try. Won't go past auto-save screen. Next-gen.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2014, 09:50 AM

P
Aug 25, 2014, 11:45 AM

PSN is getting DDOS'ed. Since I can't play BF4 I decide to give FEZ a try. Won't go past auto-save screen. Next-gen.
This DDOS was slightly more serious than the run-of-the-mill:

American Airlines flight diverted after gaming hacker group tweets bomb threat | Ars Technica

Hint for would be DDOSers - you get away with it until you annoy law enforcement enough. After that, all bets are off. TOR does not hide you from old-fashioned policework. I would not be surprised if these "pranksters" end up in federal court sooner or later.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 25, 2014, 01:11 PM

Nielsen: One-third of PlayStation 4 owners switched from Xbox or Wii
According to data provided to Re/code, an April Nielsen study found that 31 percent of PS4 owners did not own Sony's previous console, the PlayStation 3, but did own an Xbox 360 or Wii. Seventeen percent did not own any last-generation console.
However, there's one big caveat to the survey, which is that it asked only what consumers currently owned at the time of the survey, not what they had owned in the past. So, people who sold their PlayStation 3 in order to buy a PlayStation 4 would've been marked down as non-PS3 owners.
Kinda worthless in the end, I guess.

P
Aug 25, 2014, 03:18 PM

For the people that didn't have either before, then yes, there might be some PS3 owners in there - but there might just as well be more switchers in that group. For the people listing that they own a X360 and/or a Wii, they were either multiplat users who only upgraded their PS3s, or they were truly switchers.

The Final Dakar  (op)
Games Meister
Aug 26, 2014, 09:10 AM

Amazon bought twitch. I can't pretend to understand that.

Forum Links
Forum Rules