Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > NEWTON OWNERS- I need your advice/info!

NEWTON OWNERS- I need your advice/info!
AG3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2001, 03:03 AM

Im about to buy anewton messagepad 120 from my friend who bought it back from the states. I haven't yet seen it so I don't know what it comes with.

What I need from you Newton boys is:
Pics of this system.
Will It work with a G3 b/w (adb it has)?
What use does a newton have?
What can be done with a newton?
Is there software avaiavle for it still?
What stuff do I need to know about it like battery life?
Obtaining spare batteries being hard?
Just give me your experiences with your newtons...!

Cipher13
Sep 24, 2001, 05:33 AM

There is lots of freeware still available...

Try the PDA forum.

Scotttheking
Moderator Emeritus
Sep 24, 2001, 05:49 AM

Headed to the PDA forum.
My website
Help me pay for college. Click for more info.

AG3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 24, 2001, 06:04 AM

Great I didn't even realise tehre was aa PDA forum...

Some questions: Will there or is there a way or an app to play ,p3's on a newton?
What have ppl found they can do with their newtons in an era of color portables?

Moonray
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2001, 08:03 AM

I'm a bit short on time at the moment to describe what use a Newton has or what can be done with it, but maybe this link helps you a bit.

It comes with an RS485 and PC-Card interface, and no, it does not play MP3s.

-

TimmyDee51
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2001, 12:00 PM

Sorry, this late, but there are so many things to tell about the Newton. First, the HWR is unparalleled, especially in OS 2.0. Try to make sure that the 120 you are buying has Newton OS 2.0. Other than that, the 120 has a PC Card slot for expansion, runs on 4 AA batteries (alkaline or rechargable) and still has a wealth of software available. I have a Newton 2100 that balances my checkbook, keeps track of my dates, takes my notes, keeps my addressbook, lets me write my papers on the road, lets me play games, and so much more. With ADB, syncing the Newton isn't that hard, but I've found that the Newt doesn't really need a computer for anything more than installing packages -- it's a great stand alone.
Per Square Mile | A blog about density

ctt1wbw
Mac Elite
Oct 14, 2001, 12:07 PM

My wife just bought me a Messagepad 130 and a charger on eBay. It came with a leather case, 2 MB Ram card, modem, 2 styluses... But she won't give it to me until Christmas! So I have to wait...

But everyone I have ever talked to that knows anything about Newtons vs Palms or anything else say that the Messagepads are far and away more powerful than anything out nowadays, except maybe for Pocket PC.

I am looking forward to using it and learning more about it.

<Bogie>
Oct 16, 2001, 02:12 PM

Are all MP 120 models capable of running Newton OS 2.0?

I know there was an "a" and a "b" revision and that something had to do with an upgradable ROM but I know a guy who will sell me his 120 for about $50 and he is unsure what revision it is, I want to get 2.0 on there because from what I can tell it was a great jump from 1.3, please let me know.

<WL2100>
Oct 17, 2001, 04:06 AM

The MP120 came in OS 1.3 and 2.0. You can't tell until you start it up and open the 'extras' drawer. Also in the notepad app. the 'new' gives three choices versus the older model deosn't. HTH!

vmarks
Moderator Emeritus
Oct 20, 2001, 12:13 PM

Originally posted by &lt;Bogie&gt;:
<STRONG>Are all MP 120 models capable of running Newton OS 2.0?

I know there was an "a" and a "b" revision and that something had to do with an upgradable ROM but I know a guy who will sell me his 120 for about $50 and he is unsure what revision it is, I want to get 2.0 on there because from what I can tell it was a great jump from 1.3, please let me know.</STRONG>
Bogie, I'll want to know who this guy is who'll take $50... I'm kinda interested in it.

email me, [email protected]

Victor Marks
If this post is in the Lounge forum, it is likely to be my own opinion, and not representative of the position of MacNN.com.

Doraemon
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 22, 2001, 03:22 AM

Forum Links
Forum Rules