Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Gaming > Aliens VS Predator, I cant get over 640x480 res!!!

Aliens VS Predator, I cant get over 640x480 res!!!
AG3
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 12, 2001, 03:54 AM

All it allows me to display is 640x480 16/32 Open GL and software mode.
My firend says he can display higher, I don't know what gives?

my config: G3 400 MHZ B/W, 640 ram, ATI 128.
Latest open GL/ATI drivers.

This title is worth a purchase which I will, if it comes out!

roders
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2001, 06:38 AM

If your "going" to buy the game "when" it's released, how come your playing it now, albeit at 640X480, have you got a demo, Hotlined it, or a Beta???

P.S do other games play fine at other screen Resoloutions, or do they have the same prob, if so it could be something to do with your monitor.

This game has taken Sooooooo long to come out, AVP 2 is coming or has come out on the PC now!

[ 08-12-2001: Message edited by: roders ]

Aug 12, 2001, 08:52 AM

This game is the GM version.
Sorry but I can't encourage where to get it, nor will I spread it.
I buy all the big titles and they all run fine on any res (pending), it must be this game's config.

Can anyone else who has this game help me?

P.S. I understand buying games encourages sales/interest, I will buy this game because I never want the halflife inncident to happen again.
But In the meantime if A vs P becomes another HL, Ill be prepared.

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 12, 2001, 11:55 AM

I'd be very wary of the "GM" designation, if I were you. I don't think anyone would be capable of troubleshooting a game which hasn't been released yet, and about which there is no support. Beyond that, keep in mind that it is in fact a very, very old game; it could be that the resolution was limited for some reason. Why, I couldn't say. But we'll probably never know.

Too bad. It looked like a really good game.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

<Farpoint>
Aug 15, 2001, 05:31 PM

I play it on 1024x768/32 on my G4/400 Sawtooth, with no problems, ATI 128 16MB. I've also gotten it to run well at 1024x768/16 on my iBook Dual-USB and an iMac DV SE 400mhz. I find it odd that anyone is having problems with it.

As for my "GM" copy, I intend to buy it, as multiplayer doesn't seem functional at the moment.

Farpoint

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 15, 2001, 09:32 PM

You hotlining ****ers . Share!

I am definately buying it/

potboy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2001, 09:13 PM

I've given up all hope of ever playing it.

I read a report at IMG that it was ready to be published but have heard sweet FA ever since...

Anyone know the status?

itim55
Forum Regular
Aug 16, 2001, 10:06 PM

I WANT TO KNOW WHERE YOU GOT AvP!!!!! I have really wanted this game for a very long while, and plan to buy it when it comes out. Pleeeeease!!!
I know, I know, I'm just a rabid fan.

<ikev>
Aug 16, 2001, 11:42 PM

If you can't get it to use a higher res, try editing the appropriate values in AvPPrefs.cfg

blizzard
Moderator Emeritus
Aug 16, 2001, 11:50 PM

Much as I appreciate the need to play cool games like this, and regardless of the fact that it hasn't been released and seems less and less likely ever TO be released, I have to notify you all that should I see any pointers to Hotline or Carracho sites with AvP available for download, I would be required to delete the links. I mean, I wanna see it too, guys, but illegal is illegal, and these forums are run as part of a business.

Sorry. I might suggest that posting email addresses is completely un-illegal, though. Do what you will.
Living, working, and freezing in the Canadian north.

Crazy ebot
Aug 21, 2001, 03:13 AM

Okay, I'm a newbie - but I'm curious ... how many games like AvP are out there 'mostly' finished, but never released?

I swear to (pick a deity of your choice), if Half-life is sitting in a similar limbo ... what a bloody waste to be so close to release - and then left there.

I participated in a UT, Quake, Counter-Strike LAN party for the first time a couple of weeks ago, and as the only mac user, I was heartily scorned to begin with. After about an hour, I got the nickname 'that slippery bastard', and a little respect - but the minute the clock ticked over to Counter-Strike time, I got shafted 'cause I couldn't play it on my machine.

It was frustrating, Counter-Strike is by all accounts a cool fun game - I think I read somewhere that it's even been ported to Linux.

C'mon someone -I buy games. It's almost always been worth it (Colony Wars: Vengence - you ruined a perfect record). Give me the chance to spend some more dosh and demonstrate to some Windows friends the sweet science I call, 'missing your intended target and catching the teammate behind him.'

<Marine003>
Aug 22, 2001, 03:35 PM

Correction, not mostly finished, finished. Check out this link Aliens vs. Predator to be published by Mac Play Now, AG3, go buy it

Crazy ebot
Aug 22, 2001, 09:32 PM

I spoke too soon ...

Now, speaking of Half-Life ...

AG3  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 22, 2001, 10:55 PM

Marine yeah I know!

And whats better its CARBONIZED and is teh GOLD EDITION!
I started a post on IMG , where my name is ThE OutsiDer...

ooks like others feel the same way I do.....Sure we have the "carracho" version, but that shows how bad we want games! I will buy all the good titles so we can get more new titles if they see sales are good.

rampant
Banned
Location: permanent resident of the Land of the Easily Aroused
Aug 23, 2001, 09:42 PM

YESSSSS! I'm buying it in 3 days!

Forum Links
Forum Rules