Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Give Airbus 380 a wink! [JPEG orgy]

Give Airbus 380 a wink! [JPEG orgy]
FulcrumPilot
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 08:59 PM

"The world�s only twin-deck, four-aisle airliner"

sweet wingspan!

more here:
http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUC...ies/Airbus380/

she's looks like a beotch already! i thought the frenchies were just kidding.... but man! they may have BOEING running scared now I guess.
( Last edited by FulcrumPilot; Dec 25, 2004 at 09:58 PM. )
_,.
a solitary firefly flies at nite
into the darkness an endless flight
a million flashes of delight.

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 09:01 PM

HOLY CRAP that is one huge airplane.. whats the inside look like?

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 09:10 PM

Originally posted by Komisar:
HOLY CRAP that is one huge airplane..
http://www.mafia-designs.com

FulcrumPilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 09:23 PM

HOLY CRAP that is one huge airplane.. whats the inside look like?
here are some VR files:

http://www.airbus.com/product/a380_comfort.asp

Pretty darn impressive!!

( Last edited by FulcrumPilot; Dec 25, 2004 at 09:46 PM. )
_,.

Mediaman_12
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 09:32 PM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
here are some VR files:

http://www.airbus.com/product/a380_comfort.asp

Pretty darn impressive!!

http://www.airbus.com/video/product/...380_lounge.mov
Them roomy interiors are the design depts wet dream. It's more likely that most airlines will go for the 'we would rather use the extra room to cram in more people' option.

FulcrumPilot  (op)
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 09:34 PM

( Last edited by FulcrumPilot; Dec 25, 2004 at 09:39 PM. )
_,.

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Dec 25, 2004, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by Mediaman_12:
Them roomy interiors are the design depts wet dream. It's more likely that most airlines will go for the 'we would rather use the extra room to cram in more people' option.
That's true. Airbus has everything in their drawers, but they only build it on demand. when there's no demand, nobody wants to buy it, then they won't build it.

-Thilo

Cubeoid
Baninated
Dec 25, 2004, 10:00 PM

That is once nice plane. Wouldn't mind living in it just jetting around the world. Boy that would be nice.

Mafia
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:
That is once nice plane. Wouldn't mind living in it just jetting around the world. Boy that would be nice.
4 real.
http://www.mafia-designs.com

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 10:48 PM

Are those interiors standard or just special order ones? Plus are they even in the production versions or just concepts?
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 25, 2004, 11:04 PM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Are those interiors standard or just special order ones? Plus are they even in the production versions or just concepts?
Yeah... I want to see what close looks like

Mr. Blur
Professional Poster
Dec 25, 2004, 11:06 PM

I would think that the market for a plane that big (nice as it is) is very limited. Many carriers now like to use smaller planes - better fuel efficiency, and it is can be easier to put more bums in the seats when you offer more frequent choices on smaller planes rather than 1 flight on a jumbo.

perhaps the US military can use them though...live troops on one deck, body bags on the other. (oops...guess i should politicize the thread!)
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity...

ambush
Banned
Dec 25, 2004, 11:38 PM

sweet French ownage.
( Last edited by ambush; Dec 26, 2004 at 12:11 AM. )

PJW
Forum Regular
Dec 26, 2004, 12:02 AM

Originally posted by Mr. Blur:
I would think that the market for a plane that big (nice as it is) is very limited. Many carriers now like to use smaller planes - better fuel efficiency, and it is can be easier to put more bums in the seats when you offer more frequent choices on smaller planes rather than 1 flight on a jumbo.

perhaps the US military can use them though...live troops on one deck, body bags on the other. (oops...guess i should politicize the thread!)
What the hell was that all about? Not cool.
Your services as a citizen, we regret to inform you, are no longer required.

Lancer409
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 02:23 AM

Originally posted by Cubeoid:

I'd do it in a Revision B or C =P

Hope Boeing will do ok in the future =/

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 03:21 AM

That's not exactly true. The major international hub airports, Heathrow being a prime example, are rapidly running out of slots. Larger aircraft are a solution to that problem. On long haul there is a huge demand for larger, more luxurious planes. From what I know the increased interior space will actually benefit the passenger, with bars and common areas becoming the norm in most configurations.

Also, the A380 is vastly more fuel efficient then anything else in the air at the moment - mile for mile it needs less fuel per passenger than your average family saloon car does.

Peter
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 07:14 AM

one guy thats a member here is an engineer working ont he airbus 380 project. Not sure who though

Thilo Ettelt
Senior User
Dec 26, 2004, 07:25 AM

hahaha, do you really think the US military would buy from Airbus? That would be seen as a defeat. They would only support american corporations such as Boeing, regardless of the quality.

180 A380 are ordered already as far as i know. As for the configurations and interior: Airbus goes for the customer demand. Arabic airlines for example want a special carpet or the same star constellations at the ceiling as you see in Mekka. Makes one or two million euros more, but they actually pay for it. but airbus only builds the designs if someone wants them. if nobody (as in no airliner) wants internet on-board, then there is no internet on-board. this kind of reminds me of apple. they are saving on a lot too (RAM!).

- Thilo

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2004, 07:36 AM

this is badidea's territory.

Wow, you got just about everything backwards there is to get.

jcadam
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 07:37 AM

Let's hope Boeing gets this thing operational in the near future:

http://www.aerosite.net/bwb.htm

Them europeans need to be taught a lesson for trying to embarass us.

Caffeinated Rhino Software -- Education and Training management software

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 08:39 AM

Originally posted by jcadam:
Let's hope Boeing gets this thing operational in the near future:

http://www.aerosite.net/bwb.htm

Them europeans need to be taught a lesson for trying to embarass us.

Wow. A Stealth commercial jet. And it'll be cheaper, with the falling dollar.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2004, 08:44 AM

What airlines have orders for it? I could See Virgin, Singapore Airlines and Emirates all taking it. In fact, at Singapore's airport, there's already plans on renovations/changes to allow the monster planes to use the same runaways and the same (modified) terminals as other airliners.

Something like that would be awesome on the non-stop Singapore-New York leg, or the non-stop Sydney-New York that are in the works.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Dec 26, 2004, 08:51 AM

27 August 2004
A380 CUSTOMERS

To date, Airbus has received 139 orders and commitments from 13 customers

A380 customers to date are (by alphabetical order):

Air France: 10

Emirates: 43, including two freighters

Etihad Airways: 4

Federal Express: 10 freighters

International Lease Finance Corporation: five A380s and five A380 freighters

Korean Air Lines: 5

Lufthansa: 15

Malaysia Airlines: 6

Qantas Airways: 12

Qatar Airways: 2

Singapore Airlines: 10

Thai Airways International: 6

Virgin Atlantic Airways: 6

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 08:56 AM

It's a terrorists wet dream. It just screams,"Fly me into something!"

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 09:16 AM

Originally posted by demograph68:

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 09:19 AM

The A380 should also and above all contribute to make long-distance intercontinental flights a real mass transit system, at the same time favouring high-speed trains and their neworks on shorter, transcontinental distances: an optimisation of the use of transportation resources, thus. Ideally, of course - then, in practice, one never knows what will happen...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

residentEvil
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 09:23 AM

looks like the very old carton from the 40s. the mama and papa prop airplanes give birth to a jet airplane. that photo looks like the father, minus his props.

gerbnl
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 26, 2004, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by FulcrumPilot:
Those chairs are shockingly ugly!
These people are Americans. Don't expect anything meaningful or... uh... normalcy...

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 09:32 AM

[url]http://dfmalveaux.typepad.com/photos/travel/small_hut.jpg[/ur]
I was thinking of something taller.

mrtew
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 09:33 AM

Originally posted by Disgruntled Head of C-3PO:
Each interior will be custom built to order. I think the FedEx ones are going to be pretty stripped down. Even if you never get to fly on one though, maybe at least your next PowerBook will!

Originally posted by paully dub:
Wow. A Stealth commercial jet. And it'll be cheaper, with the falling dollar.
I don't see many people getting on a plane without windows down the side. I love to fly and that would give even me the fear.

I really hate what the attacks did to commercial airliners even more than those beautiful buildings. We collect 400th scale models of passenger jets and after 9/11 I stopped seeing them as beautiful manmade birds for at least a year and could only see them as flying bombs. I'd get tears ever time I looked at the shelf with the planes on it. Hopefully the A380 has enough safeguards built in that your prediction never comes true.

I love the U.S., but we need some time apart.

demograph68
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 09:38 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:
Hopefully the A380 has enough safeguards built in that your prediction never comes true.
What kind of safeguards? Like for example, an armed guard on board?

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by mrtew:

I don't see many people getting on a plane without windows down the side. I love to fly and that would give even me the fear.

[/B]
I hate window seats. I much prefer aisle seats. I hate to disturb people to get up for a bathroom run. (I take a lot of long flights of 14+ hours, so I take a lot of stretching time.)
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2004, 09:51 AM

With the extra leg room, people won't mind. I've taken the non-stop LA-Singapore flight and it's a dream. Economy is beter than many airlines' business class. Roomy, the seats relax, you have video on demand with dozens of selections, great service, a place to stroll and hang around in the back - and it's non-stop.

Window seats are for flying rookies.

And tjose are not the type of people likely to be on these type of flights. Business and first-class is where the $$$ is for the airlines.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by Randman:
Window seats are for flying rookies.
Or for those who like to sit next to the window, and be able to sleep without getting up for those next to you. I prefer ther aisle, but my gf is adament about window seats. And we fly a lot. For example we've got a direct Paris - San Francisco flight in a couple weeks. And I'm stuck in the middle. Ugh.

Adopt-A-Yankee

Komisar
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 10:04 AM

I was thinking of something taller.
you mean this big:

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 10:08 AM

While the Boing flying wing design is wonderful (I can't wait to see it in the skies, it's going to be a stunning plane), the idea is an old hat.

The Junkers G38 flew first in 1929 and was planned as a flying wing aircraft, with the passengers siting in the wings themselves. Due to the relatively small power output of engines available at the time that concept didn't work out, although the two planes actually entering service were very well liked by both pilots and passengers.

( Last edited by Mastrap; Dec 26, 2004 at 11:50 AM. )

Sven G
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 01:48 PM

BTW, here's an interesting A380 photo gallery; especially the following pic is interesting, as it shows a simulation of an A380 docked at one of the piers/satellites at Frankfurt airport:

Indeed, the A380 should help some quite congested airports around the world, with fewer aircraft movements for an equivalent number of passengers. If it is to remain some kind of luxury liner, however, I think the project has failed from the beginning: rather, it should become "an aircraft for the rest of us", and not some form of super-Concorde...

The freedom of all is essential to my freedom. - Mikhail Bakunin

driven
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 02:02 PM

Originally posted by Sven G:
BTW, here's an interesting A380 photo gallery; especially the following pic is interesting, as it shows a simulation of an A380 docked at one of the piers/satellites at Frankfurt airport:

Indeed, the A380 should help some quite congested airports around the world, with fewer aircraft movements for an equivalent number of passengers. If it is to remain some kind of luxury liner, however, I think the project has failed from the beginning: rather, it should become "an aircraft for the rest of us", and not some form of super-Concorde...
Well, it's nowhere near as fast as the concorde so you are in no danger of that happening.

But: One of the drawbacks of this airplane is the fact that many airports will have to be retro-fitted to accomodate it. Runways and bridges that the plane will traverse will have to be reenforced to handle the extra weight of this big bertha. New gates will have to be built to accomodate it's size.

One of the selling points of the Boing 7E7 is the fact that these things won't have to be done. (Boing is using the "smaller is better" line with their new luxury liner, the 7E7.
- MacBook Air M2 16GB / 512GB
- MacBook Pro 16" i9 2.4Ghz 32GB / 1TB
- MacBook Pro 15" i7 2.9Ghz 16GB / 512GB
- iMac i5 3.2Ghz 1TB
- G4 Cube 500Mhz / Shelf display unit / Museum display

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 26, 2004, 02:36 PM

This airbus plane is midget sized compared to the hercules planes the military already uses, so your genius suggestion is not too bright.

Perhaps the french can sell them to the enemy. They don't need body bags though, just various "parts" bags, since their bodies are in 56 pathetic pieces.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by PacHead:
Perhaps the french can sell them to the enemy. They don't need body bags though, just various "parts" bags, since their bodies are in 56 pathetic pieces.

WTF are you on about?

Adopt-A-Yankee

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 26, 2004, 02:46 PM

WTF are you on about?
I'm talking about morons who blow themselves up of course.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Dec 26, 2004, 02:46 PM

Many gates just need to be retro-fitted.

ambush
Banned
Dec 26, 2004, 02:49 PM

Don't be jealous that they built a nice plane...

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 26, 2004, 02:49 PM

Also, since none of these planes are finished yet, I'll put my money on the Boeing plane. It looks futuristic. Americans innovate, the french immitate.

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 26, 2004, 02:51 PM

Originally posted by ambush:
Don't be jealous that they built a nice plane...
It doesn't look nice. It's just big, like a cargo plane or something.

paully dub
Mac Elite
Dec 26, 2004, 02:57 PM

Yeah but what relevance? We're talking about airplanes and you absolutely HAVE to throw in a jab at France and bring up suicide bombers.

Is no discussion safe from this kind of moronic chest thumping?

Adopt-A-Yankee

PacHead
Baninated
Dec 26, 2004, 03:00 PM

Yeah but what relevance? We're talking about airplanes and you absolutely HAVE to throw in a jab at France and bring up suicide bombers.

Is no discussion safe from this kind of moronic chest thumping?

I'll tell you the relevance. Read the thread once more. My reply was a reply to something somebody else brought up. Ask that person about the relevance of their remark.

Disgruntled Head of C-3PO
Professional Poster
Dec 26, 2004, 03:03 PM

Also, since none of these planes are finished yet, I'll put my money on the Boeing plane. It looks futuristic. Americans innovate, the french immitate.

Idiot
"Curse my metal body, I wasn't fast enough!"

Mastrap
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 26, 2004, 03:05 PM

1. The Airbus 380 is by far the most advanced plane in production today. That is not to say that Boeing builds bad planes, far from it, but currently they don't have anything to compete with the 380.
Their current official line 'smaller is better' is a rearguard action which I predict will be changed the second their own super large airline will hit production in about five years from now. By which time the A380 will have been in service for years.

2. The idea of the wing only aircraft was developed in 1920's Germany. So much for being futuristic and innovative.

3. Airbus is NOT a French company, but don't let your ignorance stand in the way of your prejudices. Airbus is a pan European company, with the major stake-holders being located in the UK, France and Germany and now also in the US.

There's an interesting difference between Boeing and Airbus, one that makes me personally prefer flying in Boeing aircraft - in an emergency situation Airbus tends to trust the computer overriding the pilot, Boeing tends to trust the pilot overriding the computer. I know this might sound weird, but I tend to go with Boeing on this one.

Edit: And as far as large planes are concerned, take a look at this baby:

This is the transport that Airbus uses to transport pieces of fuselage between factories.
( Last edited by Mastrap; Dec 26, 2004 at 03:21 PM. )

ambush
Banned
Dec 26, 2004, 03:08 PM

Originally posted by Mastrap:
1. The Airbus 380 is by far the most advanced plane in production today. That is not to say that Boeing builds bad planes, far from it, but currently they don't have anything to compete with the 380.
Their current official line 'smaller is better' is a rearguard action which I predict will be changed the second their own super large airline will hit production in about five years from now. By which time the A380 will have been in service for years.

2. The idea of the wing only aircraft was developed in 1920's Germany. So much for being futuristic and innovative.

3. Airbus is NOT a French company, but don't let your ignorance stand in the way of your prejudices. Airbus is a pan European company, with the major stake-holders being located in the UK, France and Germany.
Good ol' ownage.

There's an interesting difference between Boeing and Airbus, one that makes me personally prefer flying in Boeing aircraft - in an emergency situation Airbus tends to trust the computer overriding the pilot, Boeing tends to trust the pilot overriding the computer. I know this might sound weird, but I tend to go with Boeing on this one.
Except when the "pilot" is a terrorist

Forum Links
Forum Rules