Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Jaguar bug list

Jaguar bug list
CharlesS
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 05:15 AM

I'm posting this thread as a place where we can share Jaguar bugs, for use in our own bug lists to send to the Apple feedback page. The idea is that if we put all the bugs we find together, some bugs won't remain unfixed because only one guy noticed it. Instead, we can all add the bugs mentioned in this thread to our lists, and the bugs will appear in all of our feedback, so they should be more likely to be noticed. In addition, if I deem a certain feature's absence annoying enough to consider it a bug, I'll add it to the list as well.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the stuff I've noticed so far:
  1. The FTP browsing issue obviously needs to be fixed.
  2. The firewall does not seem to operate in "stealth" mode - people are blocked from accessing the Mac, but the connection is refused quickly, letting them know the machine exists.
  3. Folders in the Dock need to be spring-loaded.
  4. The option on hdid to mount disk images remotely via http seems to be broken in 10.2.
  5. There needs to be an option to print to Windows shared printers.
  6. Navigating Carbon open dialog boxes with the keyboard still does not work properly.
  7. Mail.app seems to forget which order I want my messages sorted in - it often reverses it.
  8. There should be a built-in setting to put double-headed scroll arrows on both ends of the scroll bar.
  9. The ability to simply tap the "shift" key to go backwards while command-tabbing through applications has apparently been removed. Why?
  10. The behavior for text line endings is *still* inconsistent between Carbon and Cocoa apps.
  11. It would be nice if Services could check all the apps that are in the LaunchServices database instead of just the Applications folder, so it would get apps in non-standard places.
  12. Disk Copy sometimes ejects a CD-RW when burning it from a disk image, even if I specify that I want it to mount it on the desktop afterwards.
  13. The "Open Finder" option when inserting a CD-RW could be better worded, considering the fact that the Finder is usually already open.
  14. Plugging a speaker or headphone into a USB audio device tends to make the sound much fainter. This did not occur in OS 9 (need to verify)
  15. TextEdit still creates a file at the old location if an open file is moved and the user chooses "Save."
  16. The "Put Away," "Print," and "Search Internet" Finder menu items were handy in OS 9, and are missing in OS X, including Jaguar.
  17. While mouse control in Carbon games and in Classic games that use InputSprocket is dramatically improved in Jaguar, it is still problematic in Classic games that do not use InputSprocket such as the original Marathon.
  18. The Empty Trash warning still does not tell the number or size of the items to be deleted.
  19. While the folders in the Finder now have an icon to indicate that they are open, it only seems to appear when using spring-loaded folders. It does not seem to be used when a folder simply has an open window associated with it.
  20. Disks still show up on the Desktop in the Finder, but not in the Open dialog box. This could be confusing to a new user.
  21. There is still no Computer menu item in the Open and Save dialog boxes. To access an auxiliary disk, one must scroll the pane all the way to the left, and there is no obvious keyboard shortcut or menu item in the "Where:" menu to do so. This can be frustrating.
  22. Dragging some items makes an alias instead of copying the file. This is inconsistent behavior.
  23. Screen savers still cannot be added by dragging them on the Screen Effects preference pane. This would be a nice touch if added.
  24. Icons on the desktop still will sometimes move to a different spatial location.
  25. The dialog alerting me that something wants to use the Keychain still seems to occasionally appear even if I had already clicked "Always Allow" to give that app access to that keychain.
  26. The 5-submenu limit still seems to be in effect in Jaguar. It's annoying when trying to browse deep into the filesystem through a docked Folder's menu.
  27. Interface sounds seem to be unreliable - sometimes they play at different volumes, and sometimes they don't play at all. Also, the list of sounds that it is capable of playing should be more comprehensive.
  28. The contextual menus still are a bit lightweight.
  29. iChat screws up when sending files - the connection is broken, and messages don't go through.
  30. Mail sometimes doesn't mark messages as read after I double-click them to open them in a new window.
  31. If the desktop picture is set to a random picture, the Dock changes pictures every time it is killed and restarted, even if the specified time interval has not elapsed yet.
  32. The Terminal doesn't add a space after the path when you drag a file on its window anymore, so that you can't just copy a file by typing "cp", then dragging the file and then the destination - you have to add the space manually.
  33. Sometimes when I attempt to eject burned CD-RW's, they dismount, then remount instantly without ejecting, with no explanation. Needless to say, this is irritating.
  34. When inserting an unformatted floppy into an Imation SuperDisk drive, the "no readable volumes" dialog box does not come up.
  35. I sometimes experience drawing artifacts when scrolling through e-mail messages in Mail.
  36. It should be possible to turn off menu blinking, since it bothers some users.
  37. There definitely need to be more options on how to place and scale Desktop pictures - a "Best Fit" feature would be handy.
  38. The Search fields do not work when the toolbar is set to Text Only.
  39. Logging into AIM using a mac.com address in iChat causes one to be invisible to people using certain AIM clients.
  40. The Command-? shortcut to bring up Mac Help doesn't work unless you hold down the shift key. If the shift key is required for the menu item to work, the shift key symbol should appear in the shortcut. Otherwise, command-/ should work as it did in most apps in OS 9.
  41. The help key is completely useless in Cocoa apps, and the question-mark cursor that appears will likely make a question mark appear over users' heads. Instead, the help key should activate the application's Help feature, just as command-shift-? does.
  42. Sometimes, part of the icons and/or text labels of newly downloaded files show up underneath the Dock.
  43. If a pop-up menu is near the bottom of the screen when clicked on, the menu will need to be scrolled to see all of its contents, even if they would normally fit inside the menu without scrolling. This is very annoying to switchers, and thus should be fixed immediately.
  44. Although all other folders, disks, and other containers in the toolbar are spring-loaded, the "Computer" item is, strangely, not.
  45. Dragging a file on an alias to a folder on a remote server causes the mouse pointer to get the little "Do not enter" badge that indicates that the operation will fail, even though it succeeds.
  46. If you have your Desktop's view settings such that they will display previews for icons, any icons that have these previews will not highlight when selected, so it's impossible to know whether they're selected or not.
  47. Although the screenshot feature saves screenshots as PDF format, it does not seem to generate preview icons for these screenshots.
  48. The Eject feature in the Finder disconnects any unmountable partitions - there's no way to unmount a single partition.
  49. The problem with ISO 9660 CD's that were burned with Jaguar displaying only the contents of the root of the drive on Windows machines definitely needs to be fixed.
  50. Some Finder windows that have "Snap to Grid" set sometimes don't let you put files in certain grid spaces.
  51. The "Apply permissions to enclosed items" button in the Get Info window doesn't work.
  52. The paper size should default to the standard paper size of the country that was chosen in the Setup Assistant.
  53. I'm noticing that my machine occasionally freezes hard when I try to put it to sleep while the screensaver is running. When this occurs, the hard disk does not spin down, the power button does not start pulsating, and the whole thing just dies, needing a reboot. This is on a dual G4/450 with a RAGE 128.
  54. The screensaver sometimes hangs as well, on the same hardware.
  55. Most applications let you click and hold on a proxy icon in a window title bar to drag it somewhere when another application is in the foreground, without bring the app or the window to the front. However, if you click and hold on a Finder window when another app, like Terminal, is in the forefront, the Finder window will pop to the front. Very annoying if what you wanted to do was drag a folder's path into a Terminal window which is now obscured by the window.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 18, 2002 at 02:14 AM. )

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 06:46 AM

Have you reported all those to Apple?

L'enfanTerrible
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 06:57 AM

That's a very comprehensive list. A lot of those aren't really bugs tho, simply options left out of Jaguar, eg #'s 3, 5, 8, 23 etc.

#29 about iChat really pisses me off. I think there is a message size limit in iChat, and if you exceed that limit the error happens and you lose your message.. It's happened to me around ten times and each time was a long descriptive message and a pain in the arse to re-write.. How about a stop cursor option when you reach the message limit? sheesh.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2002, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by CharlesS:

Anyway, without further ado, here's the stuff I've noticed so far:
  1. There is still no Computer menu item in the Open and Save dialog boxes. To access an auxiliary disk, one must scroll the pane all the way to the left, and there is no keyboard shortcut to do so. This is frustrating.
Command-Shift-C works for me.

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 7, 2002, 08:03 AM

Quite an extensive list! About those that aren't so much bugs as potential features, I agree with #3 and also think that the "back" and "forward" buttons in the toolbar of Finder windows should be spring-loaded - that would be most useful for those of us using icon view ! And #18 has annoyed me for a while - it's always nice to know that I'm not deleting anything surprisingly large.

One thing (feature) that I would really like to add is something similar to Dock Disks, so that I can have a truely clear desktop and always see all volumes. I would also like to be able to download files to the dock on the right side there, and be able to open and manipulate them from there!

68k33
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 7, 2002, 08:46 AM

Things that have to be added to the list:

1. The blinking when selecting in any menue cannot be switched off as in classic OS. The blinking consumes time and processor and is nonuseful ballast for me, fast selecting and working..... (Maybe one can do with Hardcore-Unixcomands in the terminal....)

2. There is no option to turn off those annoying, zero-information containing Infostrings that appear when placing the mouse over an icon or action-sensitive text. What is the use of the information, when you place the pointer on "print", and the infostring says "print"......This is Windoze-Bull$it that has evaporated into OSX ! (Maybe one can do with Hardcore-Unixcomands in the terminal....)

3. Setting up the keychain as a new user is a pain. I haven't manged to get to it so far, as the input-window is non-logical organized, especially the description of the fill-in-fields. The Apple-Knoledgebase-Articles contain no useful information.

4. The monitor-preference-pane must be badly updated. It should allow to switch on/off individual monitors. One wouldn't need to plug/unplug constantly.

5. The netinfo-database cannot be backupcopied as proposed in "Mac OSX unleashed" by David Pogue. At least I haven't managed it, neither in single user mode nor as root in preference-pane. I allways get same message "Could not find processid for nibind".

6. Apple claiming a modern operating system is missing badly a highend, non complicated diskutility, that should be able to maintain order of filestructure and defragmenting in the background (if user wishes) without having to boot from other partitions, and making a 1:1 backupclone bit by bit on another partition or CD-media. It must perform that way that a crash cannot harm the diskstructure. That way relying on thirdparties (with unpredictable behaviour) could be eliminated.

Regards

[gorgonzola: removed huge quote, was gratuitous and a pain to scroll through]
( Last edited by gorgonzola; Sep 8, 2002 at 03:10 PM. )

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 7, 2002, 09:58 AM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
<snip>
One thing (feature) that I would really like to add is something similar to Dock Disks, so that I can have a truely clear desktop and always see all volumes. I would also like to be able to download files to the dock on the right side there, and be able to open and manipulate them from there!
try this:

open the terminal
cd ~/documents/
ln -s /Volumes VolumesLink

This will create a symlink in your documents directory.

drop this VolumesLink file into the Dock.

{edit}
The boot volume is not in the "Volumes" directory so that won't turn up in the menu.

Perhaps An Applescript folder action attached to the Volumes directory (If such a thing is possible) would be more appropriate.
( Last edited by Diggory Laycock; Sep 7, 2002 at 10:11 AM. )

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 10:23 AM

[*]The ability to simply tap the "shift" key to go backwards while command-tabbing through applications has apparently been removed. Why?
This works as it always has on all my Macs. A lot of others are omissions, not bugs.

20. Disks still show up on the Desktop in the Finder, but not in the Open dialog box. This could be confusing to a new user.
Huh, what program doesn't show disks for you in an Open file dialog? They appear for me as they should.
( Last edited by SMacTech; Sep 7, 2002 at 10:28 AM. )

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 7, 2002, 11:03 AM

Don't know if this is reproducible, but having a fileserver shut down while copying a file from it to a local disk results in a totally frozen machine. Couldn't kill the UI server in Terminal, Escapedpod couldn't kill the Login Window-- total SPOD.

Also, the stop button on the copying dialog when copying from local disks to .mac folders does not respond. (this might have been a server-side problem)

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

cowerd
Senior User
Sep 7, 2002, 11:14 AM

Huh, what program doesn't show disks for you in an Open file dialog? They appear for me as they should.
The "Desktop", which appears on your screen isn't eqivalent to "Desktop" which resides in ~/Desktop. HDs and files appear on the screen desktop, for lack of a better phrase, but in the Finder and in Open/Save dialogs, HDs are root level, and files are in ~/Desktop. Very inconsistent UI behavior.
yo frat boy. where's my tax cut.

Targon
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2002, 12:24 PM

Great Thread.

Bugs

1) Target disk Mode doesn't work on some machines running 10.2. The temp fix to get it working on affected machines is to boot machine A then turn on machine B hold down "T" key till logo then connect the Firewire cable to machine A.

2) "Show view options" are not remebered for resulting "Find" windows. That is, in the Finder if you Command+F and type in a word into the seach field and hit enter, then change the settings in the "Show View Options" window (accessed from Finder "View" menu) then next search will not use the previously set view settings.

3) The scroll wheel doesnt work in the top window of the search pane when set to "search in specified places". The scroll wheel doesnt work in the lower field of the resulting search window...yet it works in the top section.

4) SCSI CDRW's apparently are not showing up any more.

Sound bugs.

1)No system sounds working here...
2)Sounds get truncated in many applications now ie Frogblast, Carracho etc.
3)Changing the gain via the amplitude up/down keys behave erratically. Eg if i hit either of these keys once the on sound level display on screen freaks out an boosts the level but about 4 increments. Press it 2x in rapid succession an the display increments go up almost to maximum even when i only have one increment set.

Holding the amplitude up key down freaks as well. It goes up then down then up again. It does the reverse when holding the amplitude down key as well.

SMacTech
Mac Elite
Sep 7, 2002, 12:24 PM

Originally posted by cowerd:

The "Desktop", which appears on your screen isn't eqivalent to "Desktop" which resides in ~/Desktop. HDs and files appear on the screen desktop, for lack of a better phrase, but in the Finder and in Open/Save dialogs, HDs are root level, and files are in ~/Desktop. Very inconsistent UI behavior.
OK, now I understand. The disk icons and other media, network drives are merely aliases on the desktop. Imagine if they changed it so the disks didn't show at root and every users desktop was root level. What would be the correct way to show them to make everything work right?

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 06:05 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:

Command-Shift-C works for me.
Thanks. I'll update the list to instead state that there's no *obvious* keyboard shortcut, and no menu item.

Ticking sound coming from a .pkg package? Don't let the .bom go off! Inspect it first with Pacifist. Macworld - five mice!

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 06:07 PM

Originally posted by L'enfanTerrible:
That's a very comprehensive list. A lot of those aren't really bugs tho, simply options left out of Jaguar, eg #'s 3, 5, 8, 23 etc.
Noted. I've changed the topic title to "Jaguar Bug/Feedback List" to reflect this.

If it is a problem, I could remove the non-bug items, and make it just a bug list.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 06:14 PM

I can't reproduce too many of these - specifically, the View Options behavior is certainly not acting the way you describe on my machine - it seems to be saving view settings fine. I can't reproduce the sound bugs either, and many of the others I don't have the hardware/software to test.

Perhaps you should try deleting some preference files?

Originally posted by Targon:
Great Thread.

Bugs

1) Target disk Mode doesn't work on some machines running 10.2. The temp fix to get it working on affected machines is to boot machine A then turn on machine B hold down "T" key till logo then connect the Firewire cable to machine A.

2) "Show view options" are not remebered for resulting "Find" windows. That is, in the Finder if you Command+F and type in a word into the seach field and hit enter, then change the settings in the "Show View Options" window (accessed from Finder "View" menu) then next search will not use the previously set view settings.

3) The scroll wheel doesnt work in the top window of the search pane when set to "search in specified places". The scroll wheel doesnt work in the lower field of the resulting search window...yet it works in the top section.

4) SCSI CDRW's apparently are not showing up any more.

Sound bugs.

1)No system sounds working here...
2)Sounds get truncated in many applications now ie Frogblast, Carracho etc.
3)Changing the gain via the amplitude up/down keys behave erratically. Eg if i hit either of these keys once the on sound level display on screen freaks out an boosts the level but about 4 increments. Press it 2x in rapid succession an the display increments go up almost to maximum even when i only have one increment set.

Holding the amplitude up key down freaks as well. It goes up then down then up again. It does the reverse when holding the amplitude down key as well.
( Last edited by CharlesS; Sep 7, 2002 at 06:22 PM. )

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 06:15 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:

OK, now I understand. The disk icons and other media, network drives are merely aliases on the desktop. Imagine if they changed it so the disks didn't show at root and every users desktop was root level. What would be the correct way to show them to make everything work right?
Perhaps they could simply put links on the Desktop in the panels that would link you to the disks in Computer. At any rate, it just seems to me that this could be confusing to new users in its present state...

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 06:20 PM

Originally posted by Angus_D:
Have you reported all those to Apple?
I'm going to, but first I'm going to just see what other users find, and add stuff that I'm able to reproduce before sending it.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 7, 2002, 06:27 PM

Originally posted by SMacTech:
This works as it always has on all my Macs.
If you type Command-Shift-Tab, it works. But in 10.1, it was possible just to tap the Shift key, without having to hit the Tab key, if one was already in app-switching mode.

dawho9
Senior User
Sep 7, 2002, 06:54 PM

Let me add to the top of the list in the world of FTP. Not only does browsing need to be fixed, but they need to fix FTPD in a big way.

ftpchroot doesn't work. you cannot go any unmask commands to change file rights when uploading.

that's all for now.

dw9
- Intel iMac 20' Core Duo - 1GB RAM
- Technology Blog) http://portalxp.org/Web/blogs/rbrynteson/

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 7, 2002, 08:41 PM

How's this for a missing feature, they need to put back the "Best fit" option for background pictures. I can't do the slideshow background, because too many of the pics I would like to use get totally disfigured when they are stretched to fill the screen. If I set the background image to be just centered, than the tall ones get cropped. I can't win.

Also, they need to make Search fields in toolbars work when the tool bar is text only. This applies to the toolbar in the Finder and Mail.app.

Lastly, I understand that people would need new AIM clients to see a user logged in with an @mac screen name, but why can't people see me with old clients when I am logged onto iChat with a regular old screen name. Some of my friends log on with two names at once, and they can only see me logged on with one of them. It makes it look like i'm blocking them or something.
( Last edited by Mactoid; Sep 7, 2002 at 09:09 PM. )
We hope your rules and wisdom choke you / Now we are one in everlasting peace
-- Radiohead, Exit Music (for a film)

gorgonzola
Admin Emeritus
Sep 7, 2002, 10:01 PM

- Help Viewer won't connect to the internet and retrieve pages if it's backgrounded just after launch. You have to bring it to the front to get it to connect.

- A (seeming) discrepancy -- X Server 10.1.x treated users with UIDs less than 100 as system users, while 10.2.x Client treats users with UIDs less than 500 as system users. It should be changed to 100, because that's a far more reasonable range to restrict to system users...

- Authenticated FTP is obviously totally borked and causes a major lockup. Anonymous works quite well here though.

- On some installs (can't figure out a pattern), snap to grid is pretty broken. Sometimes it just won't let you drag an icon to an available spot, even when you've just moved another icon out of that spot. This makes creating a custom organization for a folder near-impossible sometimes unless you like massive gaps in your columns/rows.

There's probably other stuff but I can't remember right now...
"Do not be too positive about things. You may be in error." (C. F. Lawlor, The Mixicologist)

mindwaves
Sep 8, 2002, 12:51 AM

-If I download a file, save a file, or create a new folder on the desktop when I have the dock on th right side of the screen, about half of the name of the file appears underneath the dock. It should appear slightly to the left of the dock. I have done 2 clean installs with the same problem.

-Jaguar still does not remember my window positions of the main window which I use for the finder (which is 3 columns)...it always gives me 4 of them. But when I close that window and open another, it gives me the window which I want (3 columns).

himself
Mac Elite
Sep 8, 2002, 01:22 AM

One bug I noticed (though it could just be my installation) is that the icon in the title bar of a background window is a dead space. Clicking on a background window's icon does nothing.

#16: Eject (command-E) does everything Put Away did, but Print woud be handy.

Perhaps they could simply put links on the Desktop in the panels that would link you to the disks in Computer. At any rate, it just seems to me that this could be confusing to new users in its present state...
A better way to handle it would be the way it is done in classic; theu user Desktop folder could be invisible (all files are accessible from the finder desktop anyway) with symlinks of all volumes from the /Volumes directory. In any Save dialog, you could choose Desktop and everything on the "desktop" would be in one place.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

curmi
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 01:31 AM

A few more:

o British English spell checker includes US english words. It shouldn't.

o When set to Australian English, the US English spell checker is used. It should use the British English spell checker.

o On some machines, when waking machines after sleeping, static comes from the internal speaker, until a sound is forced through the speaker, or the sound panel is opened.

o A context menu on an icon towards the bottom of the screen results in a partially scrolled context menu, even though all the contents fit in the menu and no item is selected.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 8, 2002, 03:34 AM

I added a bunch of the things you guys found that I was able to duplicate, and added a couple of things I thought of myself as well.

Originally posted by himself:
#16: Eject (command-E) does everything Put Away did, but Print woud be handy.
Not really. Put something in the Trash. Then change your mind and decide to put it back. Put Away used to automagically just put the file wherever it was before you put it in the Trash. With the current setup, you just have to have a good memory.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 03:55 AM

Originally posted by Mactoid:

Also, they need to make Search fields in toolbars work when the tool bar is text only. This applies to the toolbar in the Finder and Mail.app.

I know what you mean - but I'm afraid that's one of the sacrifices you make fot having "text only" - Although The Finder is better behaved than mail - if you click on the "search" title it opens the new "Find panel".

You can't really fault the logic though - when in "text-only" mode there should not be any controls there - just text - and there's no way of implementing the search functionality without a TextField. Hopefully mail will in the future, implement a separate search panel so that it can follow the finder's lead.

yuriwho
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 8, 2002, 05:25 AM

When using diskcopy to create a new disk image from a device (like your CD-rom drive) and you select the CD/DVD Master format, uncompressed. You are prompted with a message that askes you to choose between .dmg .cdr or both, select .cdr only, and it will burn an image with both extensions appended despite your request for .cdr only.

Y

Great thread!....this is how bugs get fixed!

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2002, 05:32 AM

i also always thought number 43 was a bug until i read this thread: http://forums.macnn.com/showthread.p...hreadid=115081 -- after having read cpt kangarooskis post, i observed my own behaviour and: apple is right. this *is* very consistent and useful. keep it this way.

something to add to the bug list: localization bugs
  • mail.app in german isn't aware of 24 hour time format. you can't distinguish between am and pm. no way. -- i fixed this here by editing the localizable.strings but that's no solution for most users
  • mail.app in french spells the french word for "august" wrong
  • localized folder names only appear in the finder when "show suffix" is unchecked
  • lots of gui items still appear in english, the file inspector is a good example
something that doesn't have to do with localizations: "open with..." shouldn't show "systemicons.bundle" when a text clipping is selected.

edit: *the* most annoying bug is that the system often reverts back to the american keyboard layout after logging out/restarting. -- as much as i like the us, that's no reason to put that flag in my menu bar (well, it's not about the flag, it's about the keyboard layout). -- this is *extremely* annoying.
( Last edited by seb2; Sep 8, 2002 at 05:38 AM. )

MartiNZ
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 08:29 AM

I've been finding recently that "show item information" doesn't update as often as it might. I have both my hard drive partitions on the desktop with show info turned on, and up until just a minute ago when I went to get info on one, it was way out on the space free. The same can be said of some audio files - I've had some that show lengths that are quite different from the truth, and don't change when you open them and show the real length.. damn logic .

Interesting to see an explanation for that contextual menu behaviour, but I don't quite go along with it as you're not always starting on the same item as I see it - in the Finder, if you bring up a contextual menu down near the dock, you start below 'Help' and actually have to move up to it before you can access the rest of the menu anyway. In something like Word, it is more noticeable as you start near the bottom of the menu if you bring it up near the bottom of the screen... but I guess it's different for different apps anyway. I mean Acrobat Reader curtails its own 'application menu' with an arrow when it has plenty of room, so I find it all a bit hard to explain .

And about the keyboard settings, does it change back to US even if you don't have it checked as an option, i.e. if you only have one type checked so there is no flag?

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2002, 08:41 AM

Originally posted by MartiNZ:
And about the keyboard settings, does it change back to US even if you don't have it checked as an option, i.e. if you only have one type checked so there is no flag?
yes. unfortunately.

i could track it down to the fact that in system preferences > international, the latin font system gets associated with english again and again. it remembers i want latin to go with german for about four or five logins and then it's back to english and i get the american flag in the menu bar.

annoying.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 8, 2002, 01:29 PM

Originally posted by Diggory Laycock:
I know what you mean - but I'm afraid that's one of the sacrifices you make fot having "text only" ....You can't really fault the logic though - when in "text-only" mode there should not be any controls there - just text - and there's no way of implementing the search functionality without a TextField....
I can see your point of view, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. I don't think that the user should have to make any sacrifices just because they choose to use the text only view.

I also disagree with your logic that you can't have a search field because text only mode can't have any controls. Apparently we have different assumptions about the purpose of Text Only mode. You are assuming that its purpose is just to not have any controls in the menu bar. I, on the other hand, am assuming that the purpose of Text Only mode is to get back the horizontal space used up by the icons. This being the case, the user doesn't care if there are controls there, just so long as they aren't any taller than the text.

I would really like them to put a text field in the title bar in Text Only mode. There is no reason why they can't fit one in there, and if a person really doesn't want the control there, they can just remove it. Unfortunately the way it is, the Search field is useless to me, despite the fact that it should be an incredibly useful field that I would use very often if I could.

I agree that the fact that it opens a Find window is an improvement, but not by much. There is no need to have something in the toolbar where there is already a simple key command that does the same. If the button offered something more, such as opening a search window that is set to quickly search the current directory, then it would be useful.

Subzero Diesel949
Sep 8, 2002, 02:23 PM

I added a bunch of the things you guys found that I was able to duplicate, and added a couple of things I thought of myself as well.

Not really. Put something in the Trash. Then change your mind and decide to put it back. Put Away used to automagically just put the file wherever it was before you put it in the Trash. With the current setup, you just have to have a good memory.
Agreed. The undo command isn't enough either.

Vanquish
Sep 8, 2002, 02:47 PM

A limewire on Jaguar bug, this was not the case in 10.1 so it's a 10.2 thing (on a non-QE machine, not yet tested on a QE machine): when the limewire window is maximized and active the window manager uses a normal amount of CPU, but when the windows is maxmized but another app is active it almost maxes out CPU usage (and when it does so and I reselect limewire, the window manager uses from 200 to 300% CPU according to "top" for a fraction of a second. I don't think that's quite normal ), and when the limewire window is minimized and an other app is active the windows manager behaves normally. Maybe this is a Java-bug ? I don't have any other Java-apps to test this.

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 07:26 PM

I can see your point of view, but I'm afraid I have to disagree. I don't think that the user should have to make any sacrifices just because they choose to use the text only view.

I also disagree with your logic that you can't have a search field because text only mode can't have any controls. Apparently we have different assumptions about the purpose of Text Only mode. You are assuming that its purpose is just to not have any controls in the menu bar. I, on the other hand, am assuming that the purpose of Text Only mode is to get back the horizontal space used up by the icons. This being the case, the user doesn't care if there are controls there, just so long as they aren't any taller than the text.

I would really like them to put a text field in the title bar in Text Only mode. There is no reason why they can't fit one in there, and if a person really doesn't want the control there, they can just remove it. Unfortunately the way it is, the Search field is useless to me, despite the fact that it should be an incredibly useful field that I would use very often if I could.

I agree that the fact that it opens a Find window is an improvement, but not by much. There is no need to have something in the toolbar where there is already a simple key command that does the same. If the button offered something more, such as opening a search window that is set to quickly search the current directory, then it would be useful.
Yeah - I can see your point too, but I doubt that Apple will implement a textField in that little space - I think the lack of space breaks Aqua HUI guidelines - also once you've lost spacce to the control itself the text inside will have to be even smaller - and that's not something that Apple seems to be too keen on these days - Accessiblity Etc...

Diggory Laycock
Professional Poster
Sep 8, 2002, 07:35 PM

When you drag & drop files in the finder you get the little mini icon on the pointer that displays what kind of operation will happen (copy/alias etc...)

I'm not sure whether this is a bug or just nit-picking, but if you drag over an alias to a remote directory that is not mounted yet you get a "no-entry" sign - as if you were dragging into a directory that you don't have write permissions for.

If I was a newbie I might think that I couldn't perform the operation - whereas the operation actually succeeds.

Moose
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 07:35 PM

# Logging into AIM using a mac.com address in iChat causes one to be invisible to people using certain AIM clients.
This isn't an iChat bug. TOC doesn't support the @mac.com AIM accounts. You'd need to report that to AOL.

faragbre967
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 07:52 PM

Sometimes the Dock displays a black background in its menus. Also, the triangle part of the menu sometimes appears 2-3 spaces below the rest of the menu.

curmi
Senior User
Sep 8, 2002, 07:58 PM

Another one I've found which is very annoying.

If you have your view options set to "show icon preview" on the desktop, any icons that have such a preview don't visually show when they are selected. You can't tell if you've selected these icons at all - unlike other icons which go grey when you select them.

asxless
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2002, 10:23 AM

The main issue I have with Jag is still the Finder which...
* forgets Window settings - where a window set to use the setting for "All windows" will revert to "This window only" and large icons but the actual icon locations are correct for the "All windows" setting. BTW Setting the view options back to "All windows" will usually fix this with minimal fuss.

* is missing contextual menu items for folders- like 'Arrange by...', 'View Options', etc. Some of these are in the folder 'tool bar' (if you use this feature) but some aren't.

* can't dismount a single partition - 'Eject' dismounts ALL partitions on that physical disk unless they are 'busy' (e.g. the boot partition).

* doesn't handle the positioning of new items in a folder correctly (e.g. when the folder is set to small icon view and align to grid). - If the folder only has a few items Jag's Finder will _usually_ place the new item in the first unused grid location (starting at the upper left). But when the folder has many items and the upper left grid positions are already occupied, Jag's Finder just gives up and stuffs the new item somewhere near the upper left of the window and usually NOT at a grid location.

FWIW I am using the Finder behavior in prior OS releases (e.g. OS 9) as the reference for the above comments. Ironically the "forgets Window settings" bug has come and gone several times with various OS releases over the last decade.

asxless in iLand

-Q-
Sep 9, 2002, 12:01 PM

Right now my big issue is the Windows Browsing doesn't work beyond your local subnet. I can see everyone sitting next to me but I can't browse to a server on a different subnet; I have to type in the file path. I want this to work exactly like DAVE...

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 9, 2002, 12:40 PM

Hmmmm... Some of the things listed are feature requests, not really bugs. Should they be included?

Anyways, my most annoying bug (after CD-R burning issue):

DVD-R burned on set top DVD-R recorders do not work in OS X.2. Using the same drives, OS X.1 and OS 9.2 can see the DVD-R directories just fine. See this thread.

Also, the Finder's icon view mode with Snap To Grid puts in empty spaces in the directory, and will not accept folders or files dragged to that empty space. One can often have a folder open which is 4 icons wide, but with some lines having only 1 icon.

winterlandia
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2002, 01:17 PM

The bug that drove me to insanity this weekend was "Get info->apply permissions to enclosed items". It just doesn't do it. After messing with it for a while, I ended up finding a TIL that says, yup, the apply to enclosed items doesn't work. Coupled with the inability to burn mac/pc cds that read properly (I can't get into subfolders) on a pc, I'm not so sure upgrading so soon was a good idea. My 10.1.5 was working just great. How do they break so many things that were working just fine?

t_hah
Mac Elite
Sep 9, 2002, 02:01 PM

Missing the ability to burn Cross platform CDs!

t

superlarry
Senior User
Sep 9, 2002, 05:44 PM

Thanks. I'll update the list to instead state that there's no *obvious* keyboard shortcut, and no menu item.
it shows up in my "Go" menu in the finder, but it might just be because i upgraded from 10.1

HoofHearted
Forum Regular
Sep 9, 2002, 05:54 PM

just a couple of small localization items to add:

- Mail.app on an otherwise UK system uses an american dictionary, shows dates in US format.
- Surely on a european install the Printcenter should default to A4 not US letter.

Mactoid
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2002, 06:33 PM

Originally posted by -Q-:
Right now my big issue is the Windows Browsing doesn't work beyond your local subnet. I can see everyone sitting next to me but I can't browse to a server on a different subnet; I have to type in the file path. I want this to work exactly like DAVE...
Is that why I don't see any windows shares listed? I have a WinXP box and a Linux box both with SMB shares, but I don't see any. They are on the same subnet though, only seperated by a switch. Doesn't make sense to me, but that must be it. I'd like to see it fixed as well.

CharlesS  (op)
Posting Junkie
Sep 9, 2002, 07:00 PM

Is that why I don't see any windows shares listed? I have a WinXP box and a Linux box both with SMB shares, but I don't see any. They are on the same subnet though, only seperated by a switch. Doesn't make sense to me, but that must be it. I'd like to see it fixed as well.
Probably your firewall is blocking the ports. You'll need to configure it settings.

To test whether the firewall is causing the problem, turn it off, see if windows shares show up. If they do, it's the firewall.

curmi
Senior User
Sep 9, 2002, 07:09 PM

Originally posted by HoofHearted:
just a couple of small localization items to add:

- Mail.app on an otherwise UK system uses an american dictionary, shows dates in US format.
- Surely on a european install the Printcenter should default to A4 not US letter.
You would think! And I'd add on any country install other than US it should use A4 by default. Australia uses A4. Japan uses A4. Europe uses A4. In fact, most people in Australia have never even heard of "US Letter" which confuses the issue even more.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 9, 2002, 07:28 PM

this is from http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~mgk25/iso-paper.html:

The United States and Canada are today the only industrialized nations in which the ISO standard paper sizes are not yet widely used.
need to say more?

techweenie1
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 9, 2002, 07:37 PM

On my G4 400 (AGP), the kernel panics everytime I attempt to wake it from sleep, forcing me to restart. I have a Belkin 4 port hub that never gave me this problem with 10.1.5.

Forum Links
Forum Rules