Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > My computer was updated to 10.2.1 and all I got was this lousy console screen.

My computer was updated to 10.2.1 and all I got was this lousy console screen.
mrpuny
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 12:18 AM

Hi,

So I was sitting at home grabbing a quick dinner before my martial arts class when I read on MacNN that the OS X 10.2.1 update was out. Now, 10.2 has been running just fine for me, but no, that's not good enough. There's an update, so I'm downloading it, dammit! I fired up Software Update and installed the OS update as well as the iTunes update at the same time. When the installs were completed I clicked reboot and then left for class, so I didn't see what happened when (if?) the computer rebooted.

I got back home and ran a few apps (Quicken, IE, Mail) when I realized that I had no Finder windows and no icons on my desktop. The dock still worked - that's how I lauched the other apps - so I right clicked on the finder icon and saw the "Application is not responding" message. I tried relaunching the Finder, but that just caused the computer to reboot.

The computer (a B&W G3, upgraded with an OWC 500MHz G4 and Retail PCI Radeon) appeared to boot normally, but when it gets to the point where the finder should start, I got dumped to a text-mode console screen. It looks like I'm running an old Linux install. I can, however, log in from the console and see all my files, so that's a good thing, right?

Anyway, I did a 'sudo shutdown -r now' and restarted in single-user mode. From there I ran fsck, and my startup volume checked out OK - no errors found. I typed 'exit' and let the computer continue with a normal boot. It dropped back to a console screen again with the following lines (dates, times, and computer name removed):

loginwindow[361]: Login authorization failed (-60005)!
loginwindow[361]: AuthorizationRef doesn't have a username (LoginAuthRefMgr: 0x2fe970>).
WindowServer[177]: loginwindow connection closed; closing server.

It appears that my windowserver is shutting down because of some authorization failure. (I had the computer setup to login to my admin account at boot.) Does anyone know a better way of fixing this than reinstalling?

Thanks in advance,

Sean

udecker
Forum Regular
Sep 19, 2002, 12:33 AM

did you have a root user configued for the machine? My upgrade reset my root password for some reason, and that *might* be why the loginwindow cannot authenticate.

try booting from the install cd and run the change password program - and reset your password (root). Hell, you might even try resetting your main users.

Otherwise, check the permissions for the loginwindow.app from the console, and make sure its set to execute.

What happens when you type "exit" when in the console? Usually (if you log in as >console) and type exit, the windowserver starts back up.

If you can find the plist that decides whether your account auto-logs in, you might want to toggle it with vi to the opposite of how it's currently set.

These are only guesses, by the way.

-uD

Brass
Professional Poster
Sep 19, 2002, 12:36 AM

hmmm... sounds like your password is changed (by the installer, somehow?), but you've probably got the old one saved in the System Preference auto-login preferences.

You might want to find the system preference file with that information and delete it.

Or maybe just change your password back to thwatever it was. As root:

passwd <username>

someone_else
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 19, 2002, 12:56 AM

Originally posted by Brass:
hmmm... sounds like your password is changed (by the installer, somehow?), but you've probably got the old one saved in the System Preference auto-login preferences.

You might want to find the system preference file with that information and delete it.

Or maybe just change your password back to thwatever it was. As root:

passwd <username>
I would consider this behavior a bug. Even if the password for the auto login user had changed, loginwindow shouldn't exit like that. It should respawn itself to the Login panel window.
G5 2.5 DP/2GB RAM/NVidia 6800 Ultra
PowerBook Al 1Ghz/768MB RAM
6gb Blue iPod Mini

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 19, 2002, 03:46 AM

Originally posted by someone_else:
I would consider this behavior a bug. Even if the password for the auto login user had changed, loginwindow shouldn't exit like that. It should respawn itself to the Login panel window.
this happens to me since 10.2: when i enter a wrong password in the login panel, i get dumped into the fullscreen console as if i had entered ">console" -- no good.

oh, happened to me on five different clean installs of 10.2 on the same machine

mrpuny  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 19, 2002, 08:17 AM

Thanks for the replies. I never enabled root on this computer, and the only user account is my admin account, which was set to autologin. I can still login from the console with my user account, so I don't know why I'm getting the authorization failure.

This morning, I tried booting from the Jaguar CD and resetting my password using the utility, hoping that if something got out of sync that would fix it. No luck though; the same thing happens. I'm at work now, so I won't be able to troubleshoot more until this evening.

Forum Links
Forum Rules