Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Nokia 3650 and Powerbook AL

Nokia 3650 and Powerbook AL
s0litude
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 07:10 PM

I am currently riding the train and writing this. I happened to have extra time at work today, and so I started tinkering around and found that I can set up my phone to be a modem via Bluetooth to surf the net. Granted, its not the fastest thing in the world, but it sure is nice to be able to surf the net almost wherever I'm at. I know this is old news to a lot of people, but being that this is a powerbook discussion forum, i just wanted to share this. Plus, its just so great finding all these neat things i can do with my laptop, especially being a switcher.

Hi!

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 29, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by s0litude:
I am currently riding the train and writing this. I happened to have extra time at work today, and so I started tinkering around and found that I can set up my phone to be a modem via Bluetooth to surf the net. Granted, its not the fastest thing in the world, but it sure is nice to be able to surf the net almost wherever I'm at. I know this is old news to a lot of people, but being that this is a powerbook discussion forum, i just wanted to share this. Plus, its just so great finding all these neat things i can do with my laptop, especially being a switcher.

Did you dial your ISP though the phone itself? or was it at GPRS? I've known you can do this somehow but have never tired! Very cool!

s0litude  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 11:31 PM

I use GPRS... If you need steps on doing it, let me know and I'll post it.
Hi!

TiUser
Oct 30, 2003, 06:46 AM

Can you please post the steps? I am thinking of getting a BT phone to use as a modem to dial into my school server occasionally. TIA

ILC32
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 11:14 AM

Hi, I'm a recent switcher. My 17 rev. B (two weeks old) is absolutely perfect so far. I am thinking about getting the 3650 because of the great deals on that phone right now. Are you able to synch the 3650 with your powerbook? Is any special software required to do so?

Thanks!

wintermute1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 30, 2003, 12:02 PM

No special software is necessary to synch your powerbook with the nokia 3650. I have used my nokia with both the rev. A 17" powerbook, and the new Al-15". They both work flawlessly.

Instructions for synching using isync and using gprs with your phone are on the at&t website if you search in the customer support area for "bluetooth" and macintosh.

It's a great combination. Enjoy.

D

Forum Links
Forum Rules