Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Suggestions for a new PDA

Suggestions for a new PDA
iMacfan
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 07:23 AM

Hi,

I'm interested in getting a new PDA. I have an original Visor Deluxe, which I have not used for a while, but the ability to carry round word, excel and pdf documents would be really useful. Essentially, I'm at the moment torn between the Palm Tungsten T3 and the Sony TH55. I like the extra memory and SD slot in the Palm, but the Sony is slightly smaller, does not have the potentially flimsy slider mechanism, and WiFi (the camera does not matter). Also, how expensive is it to gear up the Sony to use with Mac OSX? Does anyone know if the slower clock speed of the Sony translates into a real-life difference? Is there now the possibility of using powerpoint documents with it and my Mac?

Thanks for your help,

David

TiUser
Apr 7, 2004, 03:57 PM

iMacFan, I am in the same situation as you: haven't used my Visor for two years and am contemplating on a new PDA. I also looked at the Sony Clie TH55, the UX50 and the T3. If the US version of TH55 had Bluetooth, I would have bought it already. But since it doesn't, I am still waiting and hoping maybe the T3 will have WiFi in the next version. (the UX50 screen is just too small for me). I've heard that the TH55 is noticeably slower than the T3 as the T3 has a much faster processor. The TH however, has excellent battery life. As far as I know, the powerpoint software is PC only.

iMacfan  (op)
Senior User
Apr 7, 2004, 04:46 PM

I'm in the UK, so the clie does have bluetooth here, but I'm still unsure, as it does not have out of the box Mac compatability. Is there much difference between the third party sync tools and the palm ones (I know that once OS 6 comes along, there won't be a choice).

David

TiUser
Apr 7, 2004, 08:30 PM

From what I've read, all you need is MissingSync (someone actually claims you don't even need it) to sync with Mac. Check out <www.cliesource.com> for all issues concerning Clie and Mac. I would get the Clie over the T3 simply for Wifi.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 8, 2004, 11:52 AM

once you install MissingSync, you won't even know it's there. HotSync Manager will behave exactly as if you had a Palm handheld.

that said, you can add a Bluetooth Memory Stick to the Clie, and soon a WiFi card to the T3. so pick the one you like.

the slider is not flimsy. this is a well made device.

personally, i have access to most of these devices, but i choose to ue the Treo 600 for my personal device, because it is all-in-one. the screen sucks and it lacks bluetooth, but everything else is great - and it can be used as a modem for the powerbook.

TMLai
Apr 8, 2004, 03:45 PM

I'm currently using a T3, but I have to say I don't like it much. I hate sliding it open and close all the time.

If the TH55 have bluetooth build-in, I would buy it right away. I need the only slot for a memories card.

Web browers come with the Sony work a lot better as well.

Dimitri
Apr 9, 2004, 06:13 PM

I chose Sony for the built in Wi-Fi. I always just use the cradle for contacts and calendar. But for the web and email, wifi is the way to go.

Casper Crane
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 9, 2004, 09:00 PM

the other thing to keep in mind is that bluetooth is not essential on a wifi device. you can sync very quickly via wifi, and you can get internet in a variety of places.

TMLai
Apr 9, 2004, 11:45 PM

I just too much used to that click and dial function that I can't do without now.

hodaddy
Apr 11, 2004, 01:45 PM

anyone have any thoughts on the HP iPaq h1945 (BT only) or the 4155 (wifi/BT)? total crap? both are supported by missing sync. other than the palm os, do the T3 or clies offer any benefits over these model. i particularly like the tiny frame of the HP over the palm and the clie.
if it aint' broke, break it.

iMacfan  (op)
Senior User
Apr 12, 2004, 07:28 AM

Interesting! I've spent years avoiding anything running a Microsoft operating system, but if it allows for easy Mac syncing and native support for word/excel/powerpoint, it might just be an option. Can anyone using a Pocet PC device comment on the pros/cons?

Thanks once again for all the replies,

David

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 12, 2004, 03:10 PM

Originally posted by hodaddy:
anyone have any thoughts on the HP iPaq h1945 (BT only) or the 4155 (wifi/BT)? total crap? both are supported by missing sync. other than the palm os, do the T3 or clies offer any benefits over these model. i particularly like the tiny frame of the HP over the palm and the clie.
Thank you so much for mentioning this. I would be very interested to know if PocketPC is worthwhile for Mac devotees who use Entourage and who are willing to invest in MarkSpace's The Missing Sync (TMS).

iMacfan  (op)
Senior User
Apr 13, 2004, 05:18 PM

Another thing I've heard is that you cannot use the clie in landscape mode - is this true, and if so, how stupid! One thing I really want to do is use the large screen in landscape for word and pdf documents.

iMacfan  (op)
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 09:28 AM

What about the Tapwave Zodiac? I have no real interest in the gaming, but it looks like a well-powered handheld, with good battery life and a decent processor and screen. It looks like it supports landscape and portrait, and Dataviz list it as compatible with documents to go. Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

David

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 14, 2004, 11:33 AM

Hold out for the next Sharp Zaurus which will have built-in BT and WiFi with both CF and SD slots and of course runs on Linux.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 11:46 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
Hold out for the next Sharp Zaurus which will have built-in BT and WiFi with both CF and SD slots and of course runs on Linux.
Omigod, that sounds awesome! Can you manipulate that sucker from the Mac OS Terminal?

Anybody know anything about release dates for new handhelds?

Phanguye
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 01:12 PM

more importantly, does the zaurus support mac, or does any third party software allow mac syncing

selowitch
Mac Elite
Apr 14, 2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by Phanguye:
more importantly, does the zaurus support mac, or does any third party software allow mac syncing
Oh. Yeah. That. Too. ;-)

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2004, 06:25 AM

I have a 5500 and connect using a CF wireless. It currently doesn't come with a mac sync options in the box but there are some open source and third party software companies that have developed them.

Not sure what the next model will be able to do or if apple will rig us a sync options. There are a ton of open source software that has been ported to the Zaurus and a good amount of Java apps.

I have mine setup with GCC, a webserver and have been using QT for Mac by trolltech to develop apps and cross-compile them for the Zaurus.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

Forum Links
Forum Rules