Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > PB, T616, ATTWS solution

PB, T616, ATTWS solution
TiUser
Apr 14, 2004, 02:27 PM

After scouring the web the last month for information on how to use the BT-enabled T616 as a modem, I finally found the instruction here: <http://weblog.infoworld.com/dickerson/2004/01/16.html> This worked perfectly with AT&T Wireless. It is however a bit slow (seems slower than normal dialup to me) and will use data connection (GPRS) therefore costs money. I will only be using it sparingly as I travel so it's a nice alternative to have. Has anyone been able to use the phone as a dialup modem by just using the minutes (GSM)?

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Apr 14, 2004, 02:43 PM

i can't help you with the gsm thing, but i want to thank you for the tip about getting the t616 working. i am also on at&t and it works. yeah it is kinda slow, but hey, if i am in the middle of nowhere and need to send an email.

Tomster
Senior User
Apr 14, 2004, 04:26 PM

Have you considered switching to tmobile? Much better customer service and unlimited GPRS for 4.99 a month. You are right about it being slow though. GPRS is giving me 5KB bursts at best. And the latency...

Good news is that AT&T and tmobile are supposed to go to EDGE technology soon - 56kb connections. Not too bad, but nothing compared to the current Sprint technology - 130kb unlimited for 10 a month. It's just that Sprint has only one discontinued bluetooth enabled phone.

As for dialing up, try looking here for modem scripts

http://www.taniwha.org.uk/

And have you tried Salling Clicker yet? Cool stuff that leaves PC technophiles drooling.
Happily using a Mac since '89
MacPortable: 16Mhz 1meg/40meg System 6.0.8 - 16lbs Yeah baby!
Powerbook 17" 1.33Ghz 2GB/100GB 8x Superdrive
Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1.125GB/80GB 2xDVD-R RPC1
MacbookPro 17" 2.33Ghz

TiUser  (op)
Apr 14, 2004, 04:36 PM

I live in one of the few states that T-Mobile doesn't service. I guess for me it is more of a "look what I can do with my phone" thing and for emergency purpose than anything practical. The speed is simply too slow. I did get Salling Clicker as soon as I got my T616. I did a Keynote presentation with it and obviously wowed the audience. On the other hand, I haven't found much use for it on other applications (iTunes, DVD player, etc.). Clicking the mouse seems much faster.

Forum Links
Forum Rules