Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Bringing iPod on Japan Trip - Charging Battery?

Bringing iPod on Japan Trip - Charging Battery?
zander106
Fresh-Faced Recruit
May 10, 2004, 04:23 PM

I'm going to Japan and bringing my iPod with me to drown out the drone of the plane's engine on the 13 hour flights back and forth. Does anyone know if the iPod charger automatically configures itself to the correct voltage or cycles outside of the U.S., the same way the iBook charger does? Or will I need some kind of different power adaptor? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!

tr
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 04:39 PM

from specs page: http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

Power adapter

6-pin FireWire connector

AC input: 100V to 240V at 0.4 amp maximum

Frequency: 50Hz to 60Hz

DC output: 12V at 1 amp maximum

should be okay. don't know what the outlets look like in japan, so i don't know if you need some sort of plug adapter.

tr

TiUser
May 10, 2004, 05:04 PM

You will be fine. I bring my iPod and PB to Japan at least twice a year. I also bought the Belkin backup battery for use on the plane. However, between watching movies and sleeping, I never had to use it.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 10, 2004, 09:25 PM

Just buy the outlet prong converter, no need to get one with a transformer.

OreoCookie
May 10, 2004, 09:54 PM

Originally posted by zander106:
I'm going to Japan and bringing my iPod with me to drown out the drone of the plane's engine on the 13 hour flights back and forth. Does anyone know if the iPod charger automatically configures itself to the correct voltage or cycles outside of the U.S., the same way the iBook charger does? Or will I need some kind of different power adaptor? Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!
First of all, Japan has US plugs.
If you should get to another country, e. g. in Europe, the power adapter adjusts automatically to the voltage.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

maxintosh
Mac Elite
May 11, 2004, 10:01 AM

Originally posted by OreoCookie:
First of all, Japan has US plugs.
If you should get to another country, e. g. in Europe, the power adapter adjusts automatically to the voltage.
Hmm... interesting, but the voltage is 100V and the frequency is between 50-60Hz depending on the part of Japan, so make sure your adapter supports that.

http://kropla.com/electric2.htm

tooki
Admin Emeritus
May 11, 2004, 01:59 PM

Scroll up: It was already established that the iPod AC adapter supports Japanese power.

tooki

Forum Links
Forum Rules