Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > My CompUSA trade-in experience

My CompUSA trade-in experience
TiUser
Aug 6, 2004, 02:30 PM

Well, months after my wife and I upgraded to our present AL PBs (15" and 12"), we decided to trade in our respective iBook 600 and Ti 400 to get an eMac for our seven-year old son. It was especially hard for my wife to part with her iBook despite having the larger screen PB 15". She just loves the iBook. I have had no problem moving down from my Ti to the 12" PB. I drove to our nearest CompUSA, handed the two laptops to the technician and after ten minutes of checking out the laptops, I received $575 for the iBook and $350 for the Ti as listed on the CompUSA website. I told the technician that Ti has a G4 which is a better chip than the iBook's G3, but he simply said that they only go by processor speed. With the combined $925 in hand, I walked to the Apple-in-the-store and bought the eMac for $799 and the AirPort card for $79. Overall a good experience except the customer service people had a hard time issuing me the store credit. It was as if they have never done one before. I know I could have fetched better value for the Ti on eBay or elsewhere (not sure about the iBook 600), but didn't want to deal with the hassle. Part of the reason for us to do the trade-in now is that the CompUSA website indicates that the current pricing structure for trade-ins will change effective August 9th. My sense that they will only go down, not up.

Daracle
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 6, 2004, 02:37 PM

Lucky Kid
Who reads this???

rareflares
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 02:41 PM

did i even have my own bed when i was 7? let alone a computer!

SafariX
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 02:50 PM

I slept in the snow every night when I was 7. It took me 2 years to get to 8 when I was 7!

jorgem4
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 6, 2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by TiUser:
Well, months after my wife and I upgraded to our present AL PBs (15" and 12"), we decided to trade in our respective iBook 600 and Ti 400 to get an eMac for our seven-year old son. It was especially hard for my wife to part with her iBook despite having the larger screen PB 15". She just loves the iBook. I have had no problem moving down from my Ti to the 12" PB. I drove to our nearest CompUSA, handed the two laptops to the technician and after ten minutes of checking out the laptops, I received $575 for the iBook and $350 for the Ti as listed on the CompUSA website. I told the technician that Ti has a G4 which is a better chip than the iBook's G3, but he simply said that they only go by processor speed. With the combined $925 in hand, I walked to the Apple-in-the-store and bought the eMac for $799 and the AirPort card for $79. Overall a good experience except the customer service people had a hard time issuing me the store credit. It was as if they have never done one before. I know I could have fetched better value for the Ti on eBay or elsewhere (not sure about the iBook 600), but didn't want to deal with the hassle. Part of the reason for us to do the trade-in now is that the CompUSA website indicates that the current pricing structure for trade-ins will change effective August 9th. My sense that they will only go down, not up.
Where can you find out how much is the trade in value?

Thanks

wg2499
Aug 6, 2004, 06:19 PM

12" 867 PB 640 SD T68i REMOTE

romeosc
Mac Elite
Aug 6, 2004, 06:54 PM

I'd like to buy about 6 of the TiPB 400s for $350 each!

MEANS
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 6, 2004, 08:28 PM

i think that's major bs for them to base the value off of processor speed alone, not the actual chip as well.
your solid gold, I'll see you in hell

xec17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 9, 2004, 03:30 PM

Does anyone know of any other sites/store that will give you cash or credit for your trade-ins? I just missed the CompUSA trade-in for $575 (I'm talking by minutes...my parents took me on a surprise visit to the store and then decided to go ahead with the trade-in so we had to rush home and go back with the computer and the store had just closed) and now the computer (500 mhz 15.2" TiBook) is only worth $300 to CompUSA.

Is there any other place that would give me a comparable trade-in value? Thanks.

Eash

wuzup101
Grizzled Veteran
Aug 9, 2004, 04:14 PM

Sell it on e-bay. You could probably get atleast $450 for a 500mhz 15.2" Powerbook.

If you do decide you are going to do the trade-in for $300... think of me... I'll take it for that and some change
Mac: 15" 1.5ghz PB w/ 128mb vid, 5400rpm 80gb, combo drive, 2gb ram
Peripherals: 20gb 4g iPod, Canon i950, Canon S230 "elph", Canon LIDE30, Logitech MX510, Logitech z5500, M-Audio Sonica Theater, Samsung 191T
PC: AMD "barton" XP @ 2.3ghz, 1gb pc3200, 9800pro 128mb, 120gb WD-SE 120gb
Xbox: 1.6, modded with X3 xecuter, slayers evoX 2.6, WDSE 120gb HDD

joelcpa
Forum Regular
Aug 9, 2004, 04:43 PM

Originally posted by MEANS:
i think that's major bs for them to base the value off of processor speed alone, not the actual chip as well.
So go into the computer business and offer more.

shatten22
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2004, 04:58 PM

i just sold my tibook 550 locally for $860.

compusa is stealing your money.

g

urrl78
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 9, 2004, 05:28 PM

WOW! I CAN GIVE THEM MY BRAND NEW 1.5 GHZ 17" FOR A WHOPPING $500!!! Might as well hand them the laptop for free.

TiUser  (op)
Aug 9, 2004, 06:51 PM

Well, as of today the CompUSA trade-in program will only bring in $500 for both the iBook 600 and the Ti400 (where yesterday got you $925). It is definitely not worth it anymore. I doubt ANY trade-in program will bring you market value. And I didn't have that kind of expectation either. I simply wanted an easy way to exchange for a more up to date computer. My son is very happy with the eMac.

OldManMac
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 9, 2004, 07:21 PM

Originally posted by shatten22:
i just sold my tibook 550 locally for $860.

compusa is stealing your money.

g
It's no different than trading in a used car; you can always get more if you sell it yourself. If you trade in a car, the dealer is going to give you less than it's worth, simply because they need to make a profit on it. CompUSA is actually a middleman in this deal. They sell the machines to an outfit that refurbishes them.
Why is there always money for war, but none for education?

xec17
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 10, 2004, 11:20 PM

I stumbled upon www.powermax.com when looking for sites that accept trades. They quoted $850 for my TiBook 500 Mhz, and I'm definitely interested in making that trade for some peripherals and upgrades to other systems, but I'm a little nervous. Have any of you done business with PowerMax before? Is this a reputable site?

Thanks,

Eash

t500
Forum Regular
Aug 11, 2004, 06:48 PM

Used them in the past and had no problems. They quoted me a price for the computer, I sent it in. About 2 days later they called me and told me the computer checked out and were ready to sell me a new machine....

nick_coday
Aug 11, 2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by xec17:
I stumbled upon www.powermax.com when looking for sites that accept trades. They quoted $850 for my TiBook 500 Mhz, and I'm definitely interested in making that trade for some peripherals and upgrades to other systems, but I'm a little nervous. Have any of you done business with PowerMax before? Is this a reputable site?

Thanks,

Eash
I've heard of them and they do exist, Portland, OR.

However, I have not done any business with them.
--------------------------------------
15.2" 1.25Ghz AlPBook
512MB RAM, SuperDrive

qualey2
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 07:20 PM

Does anyone know what they are doing with the machines they are taking in trade ?

southtdi
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 11, 2004, 10:29 PM

I've seen used machines on their website so I think they just resell them.

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Aug 11, 2004, 10:32 PM

Originally posted by SafariX:
I slept in the snow every night when I was 7. It took me 2 years to get to 8 when I was 7!
I walked to school, uphill, both ways, and had to do my homework on the back of shovel with charcoal from the previous night.

(start MP sketch )
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

davidflas
Mac Elite
Aug 12, 2004, 04:04 AM

Originally posted by olePigeon:
I walked to school, uphill, both ways, and had to do my homework on the back of shovel with charcoal from the previous night.

(start MP sketch )

You kids these days have everything! When I was your age I lived in a shoebox with my 35 brothers and sisters. We had to get up so early for school that we got up before we went to bed! And I don't want to hear any of you wippersnappers complaining about having no shoes, we didn't have feet!
2.7Ghz 15" Mid 2012 MBP 16GB RAM 7.2k 750GB HD anti-glare display|64GB iPad4 ATT LTE|

killer_735
Mac Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2004, 12:12 PM

I was just checking out powermaxx and they look pretty cracked out. In their used section, for example, they sell dual processor and single processor G4s with identical specs for the same price. Their prices on clamshell ibooks are crazy, as well as TiBooks. 12" Al books, on the other hand, are really cheap compared to the rest of the machines. This is not to say don't deal with them, just do some research before you do.
"Leave it. Leave it, it's fine. It's fine. I WILL DESTROY YOU!" -Morbo

kikkoman
Senior User
Aug 12, 2004, 04:57 PM

Powermax offered me $400 for my bluge G3 (500 Mhz G3/256 MB RAM/20 GB HD)and $950 for my Powerbook (667 Mhz G4/512 MB RAM/30 GB HD/Airport). That enough to get a 20" Cinema Display with no additional cash. Should I go for it?

My brother has done business with them so I know they are legit.

iomatic
Mac Elite
Aug 13, 2004, 01:16 PM

I've never dealt with them personally, but I know my friend has always, and never had problems; so far, new machines, refurbs, etc. for competitive prices.

$.02

micalk
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 13, 2004, 07:31 PM

Michael Palin: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Graham Chapman: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Terry Gilliam: Well, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Eric Idle: Right. (steels himself) I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Michael Palin: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

All: Nope, nope...

sbjordal
Dedicated MacNNer
Aug 15, 2004, 09:12 PM

Originally posted by micalk:
Michael Palin: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down the mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Graham Chapman: Luxury! We used to have to get out of the lake at three o'clock in the morning, clean the lake, eat a handful of hot gravel, go to work at the mill every day for tuppence a month, come home, and Dad would beat us around the head and neck with a broken bottle, if we were LUCKY!

Terry Gilliam: Well, we had it tough. We used to have to get up out of the shoebox at twelve o'clock at night, and LICK the road clean with our tongues. We had half a handful of freezing cold gravel, worked twenty-four hours a day at the mill for fourpence every six years, and when we got home, our Dad would slice us in two with a bread knife.

Eric Idle: Right. (steels himself) I had to get up in the morning at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, eat a lump of cold poison, work twenty-nine hours a day down mill, and pay mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our Dad would kill us, and dance about on our graves singing "Hallelujah."

Michael Palin: But you try and tell the young people today that... and they won't believe ya'.

All: Nope, nope...
This is the 2nd funniest MP joke of all time....History of humor is imho simply priceless...Seing Terry Gilliam stuff that whole banana in his mouth is nothing short of genius
---
One XP Box, One Suse Box, One Blue & White,
One ibook, One iMac 17 FP, one 30 gig iPod and a mini
happy .mac customer, os9 free since 3/24/01

mercury13
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Aug 16, 2004, 12:16 PM

I had a [fairly] good experience trading in my Beige DT G3 towards the purchase of a 17" iMac G4, with PowerMax.

Whether or not I could have gotten more than PowerMax was willing to give if I had tried to sell it myself is arguable.

The entire process went smoothly, though.

They threw in an extra 128 MB RAM (although the DIMM turned out, ultimately, to be defective) and a refurbished Rio 600 MP3 player, for free.

I would consider doing business with them again.

Forum Links
Forum Rules