Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hot PB doesn't boot?

Hot PB doesn't boot?
KidKit
Forum Regular
Jul 9, 2006, 06:27 PM

Is it normal for a PB that's been running hot to crash on reboot and only successfully boot when it has cooled down? It's a Rev B 12", is this something I should send it into AppleCare for?

I think there've been some problems with the Sophos virus definition update server at the institution I'm at, causing the SophosMessageRouter program to go crazy - creating long error logs and causing my CPU to run 100% all the time. My PB ran hot (esp. ouchy near the hinge) and the fan was constantly on. I had just ran software update and tried to reboot, but the PB kept hanging at random places - spinning disc stuck at the grey apple screen, the multi-language grey screen. It booted fine when I tried an hour later (after the computer has cooled)

It took me a few days to figure out that Sophos was causing the heat problem (duh... should have ran activity monitor earlier). I've turned off the autoupdate and its fixed SophosMessageRouter, fixed the heat, and fixed the failure to reboot. I'm guessing its related to hardware? Or is it just the crummy SophosMessageRouter?
mavafyipdq

Forum Links
Forum Rules