Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Classic Macs and Mac OS > Classic behavior like VPC

Classic behavior like VPC
Sjakelien
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Dec 18, 2000, 05:59 AM

One of the things I like about VPC, is that when you quit it, you can just save the current state of your Virtual PC's memory. Next time when you startup VPC, you don't have to go through the whole Windows startup sequence. This is faster and quite convenient, because all your currrent documents are still open, etc.
I love OSX and the fact that I can run all my 'old' stuff. Honestly, I would be running ONLY OSX , if all the software that I need would be carbonized / cocoa-ed. One of the major draw backs of Classic is the fact that it takes a while to startup, during which process the rest of OSX slows down tremendously. I remember, that there used to be an option in one of the beta's of a recent OS 9 seed, that you could actually 'save memory to disk' upon sleep. As far as I understand, this feature never made it to the final release.
Basically, this is just exactly what we would want for classic: a snapshot of it's latest use, to speed up things.
Is anybody out there who agrees, or could tell me why this is nonsense?
Thanks
Sjakelien

oscar
Grizzled Veteran
Dec 18, 2000, 07:29 AM

I wouldnt be too superised if apple is saving this for release. If not, im sure a third party app could maybe do it.

------------------
-See Yea!

yoyo52
Mac Elite
Dec 18, 2000, 07:16 PM

I think it's a great idea. By the way, I hadn't used my OS Xpartition for a while, and did last night. I love it too, and can't wait for everything to be carbon- or cocoa-ized.
And that's true too.--Shakespeare, King Lear

Forum Links
Forum Rules