Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Applications > Blocking sender in mail?

Blocking sender in mail?
Heavy
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2010, 01:58 PM

I'm sorry for such a newb question. I'd like to block from companies that bombard me with emails. I mark them as junk but they still show up in the inbox. I'd like them to be blocked but I can't find out how in the help section. thanks.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2010, 02:07 PM

You should invest $30 in Spam Sieve, hands down the best spam filter out there. It works with all sorts of mail clients. Just mark a few of their messages in Mail and they won't show up in your inbox again.
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.

reader50
Administrator
Nov 8, 2010, 02:24 PM

In your Mail preferences, click on the Junk Mail section. Make sure junk mail filtering is enabled, and that junk mail is to be moved to the Junk mailbox. If those settings have been changed, then junk mail will get left in your inbox.

Also check if you've added the sender to your address book. In Mail prefs, there are a few message types exempted from junk mail filtering, you may have to fiddle with those settings.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by OreoCookie View Post
You should invest $30 in Spam Sieve, hands down the best spam filter out there. It works with all sorts of mail clients. Just mark a few of their messages in Mail and they won't show up in your inbox again.

The best client side filter, maybe.

I would first find out whether the email server is doing any spam filtering, and whether the spam thresholds can be adjusted in your client. Some also support training.

I would also find out whether these spams came as the result of a legitimate business transaction, and if they are and these services are legit, unsubscribe from these mailing lists.

hab
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2010, 03:46 PM

MacWorld had a recent article that may be helpful:
Configuring Mail's Junk Mail settings
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2010, 03:47 PM

@besson
Spam Sieve combines Bayesian spam filtering with the address book and other stuff. Perhaps there are server-side solutions that are better, but for my desktop Mac, it's the best software out there. Worlds better than Mail's own spam filter.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 03:59 PM

@besson
Spam Sieve combines Bayesian spam filtering with the address book and other stuff. Perhaps there are server-side solutions that are better, but for my desktop Mac, it's the best software out there. Worlds better than Mail's own spam filter.
I'm not necessarily saying that there are sever side solutions that are better, but that it's difficult to say that SpamSieve is the best when there may be server side solutions quarantining or deleting all sorts of obvious spam that users might be unaware of. It's also hard to compare the two because their designs are so different, and server side spam filtering solutions are often coupled with IP based blocklists such as SpamHaus which capture a tremendous amount of spam too, as well as techniques such as greylisting, DKIM, etc.

In short, SpamSieve may be just dealing with the leftovers, and those leftovers are going to vary greatly depending on your mail provider.

OreoCookie
Nov 8, 2010, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
I'm not necessarily saying that there are sever side solutions that are better, but that it's difficult to say that SpamSieve is the best when there may be server side solutions quarantining or deleting all sorts of obvious spam that users might be unaware of.
I should have been more clear, but I was only talking about spam filters on the Mac (we're in a Mac applications forum after all ). I don't mean to say it's perfect and yes, it mostly gets pre-filtered mails, but still, it got 99.4% of my mails right. Out of ~52,000 (39k spam, 13k good messages), it got 34 false positives and 270 false negatives. So it's pretty darn good.
Originally Posted by besson3c View Post
It's also hard to compare the two because their designs are so different, and server side spam filtering solutions are often coupled with IP based blocklists such as SpamHaus which capture a tremendous amount of spam too, as well as techniques such as greylisting, DKIM, etc.
Spam Sieve also uses frequently updated black (2) and white lists (1) in addition to a statistical algorithm and the address book. You can add entries to both lists.

I wholeheartedly recommend it -- if only in addition to server-side spam filters.

Heavy  (op)
Forum Regular
Nov 8, 2010, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
In your Mail preferences, click on the Junk Mail section. Make sure junk mail filtering is enabled, and that junk mail is to be moved to the Junk mailbox. If those settings have been changed, then junk mail will get left in your inbox.

Also check if you've added the sender to your address book. In Mail prefs, there are a few message types exempted from junk mail filtering, you may have to fiddle with those settings.
Thank you, that did the trick. I think this will be good, but I'll check into the other stuff, you good folks sugget too. Much obliged.

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Nov 8, 2010, 06:12 PM

I should have been more clear, but I was only talking about spam filters on the Mac (we're in a Mac applications forum after all ). I don't mean to say it's perfect and yes, it mostly gets pre-filtered mails, but still, it got 99.4% of my mails right. Out of ~52,000 (39k spam, 13k good messages), it got 34 false positives and 270 false negatives. So it's pretty darn good.

Spam Sieve also uses frequently updated black (2) and white lists (1) in addition to a statistical algorithm and the address book. You can add entries to both lists.

I wholeheartedly recommend it -- if only in addition to server-side spam filters.

Cool

Forum Links
Forum Rules