Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > News > Mac News > Apple boosts iOS app package size to 4GB, cellular limit unchanged

Apple boosts iOS app package size to 4GB, cellular limit unchanged
NewsPoster
MacNN Staff
Feb 12, 2015, 04:39 PM

Apple has just updated the allowable size of iPad app packages submitted through iTunes Connect. Effective immediately, package size maximum is 4GB through the App Store across Wi-Fi or iTunes through Wi-Fi or Ethernet, double that of the previous allotment. Cellular network delivery size limit is unchanged, and remains at 100MB.

Apple notes that developers can "include more media in your submission and provide a more complete, rich user experience upon installation." In some cases, users would have a secondary installation upon first launch, with hundreds of megabytes of assets. The change would allow developers to include these in the initial install, allowing app purchasers to not have to wait to use an app for more content to download.
( Last edited by NewsPoster; Feb 17, 2015 at 06:55 AM. )

jpellino
Forum Regular
Feb 12, 2015, 04:54 PM

Ugh. In my day we fit an entire productivity suite ON A CD! 700 measly data-correction-riddden megabytes! These whippersnappers don't know how good they've got it!
Just sayin'

Jeronimo2000
Dedicated MacNNer
Feb 12, 2015, 05:04 PM

Remember, that's the same company that STILL sells 8 GB iPhones, today, in 2015. So you could get a brand new iPhone 5C and download exactly one app. That's just fantastic.

Charles Martin
Mac Elite
Feb 12, 2015, 05:45 PM

Yes, I think the day of the 8GB iPhone is ending, but bear in mind that not all buyers want to buy a phone to serve as an app jukebox. I have a friend that has one (my wife also has one) and it is used for texting, phone and music, and apart from the occasional photo, NOTHING else -- ie, she probably should have bought an Android! (zing!)

So I can understand the 8GB model, particularly for budget buyers who aren't going to be buying apps anyway (again, Android buyers #amirightpeople #illbehereallweek). But I think next fall the 8GB will finally drop off completely.
Charles Martin
MacNN Editor

sibeale1
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Feb 12, 2015, 05:57 PM

"In my day we fit an entire productivity suite ON A CD!"

Well, in MY day we fit everything on an Edison cylinder. Times change.

DiabloConQueso
Grizzled Veteran
Feb 12, 2015, 07:02 PM

Sheeeeeit, all it took in my day was a relatively flat rock and something to chisel against it with. Plebs.

Forum Links
Forum Rules