Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Red eye effect result of blood? I call BS

Red eye effect result of blood? I call BS
design219
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2015, 12:07 PM

Yesterday Jeopardy had a question (answer) that said the "red eye" effect is caused by blood in the back of the eye. I immediately thought, no, it's refraction and splitting of the spectrum like a prism. I'm sure of this because I've seen the effect be blue in dogs and even greenish/cyan in cows.

But just to verify, I started looking around the web and almost everything explains it as excessive blood in the back of the eye. Even if that were right, I always thought blood was rather dark until exposed to oxygen.

Does anyone have a good answer to this question?
( Last edited by design219; Jun 25, 2015 at 02:13 PM. )

My stupid iPhone game: Nesen Probe, it's rather old, annoying and pointless, but it's free.
Was free. Now it's gone. Never to be seen again.
Off to join its brother and sister apps that could not
keep up with the ever updating iOS. RIP Nesen Probe.

Doc HM
Professional Poster
Jun 23, 2015, 02:05 PM

I'm with you mr the Kidd.

Afaik the red blood explanation is just pop science. Cats and dogs have the same colour blood but show blue and green eye.

I had always thought this was due to refraction but also like you am finding Google a tad light on the subject.
This space for Hire! Reasonable rates. Reach an audience of literally dozens!

ghporter
Administrator
Jun 25, 2015, 05:23 PM

Retinal reflection is why humans have "red eye" in photos. Blood flow isn't going to effect the reflective quality of the retina much. It had [u]better[/i] have good blood flow, but the retina is reflective for a number of reasons. One is the interface between the vitreous and the retina itself; that transition from viscous liquid to cells is a natural reflective layer.

Different cats typically have different reflected colors. Most reflect green. Except Siamese cats; their eyes reflect red. It's a genetic thing not as much related to eye color as being Siamese.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules