Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > iOS Apps > Size of iOS 9.3.3 download

Size of iOS 9.3.3 download
hab
Forum Regular
Jul 19, 2016, 11:02 PM

If I download the 9.3.3 update on my phone [Settings>General>Software Update] the download is listed as a 55.8 MB download. However, if I plug my phone into my desktop and download the update in iTunes, it comes down as a 2.05 GB file. Why is that? Inquiring minds want to know ...
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 19, 2016, 11:22 PM

It is the entire version of 9.3.3.
45/47

P
Jul 20, 2016, 06:25 AM

Chongo is right, but with a little more detail: 2GB is the full OS installation from zero, which can be used if you want to restore the phone from zero. 55.8MB is the difference between what you have and the full 9.3.3.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Chongo
Addicted to MacNN
Jul 20, 2016, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by P View Post
Chongo is right, but with a little more detail: 2GB is the full OS installation from zero, which can be used if you want to restore the phone from zero. 55.8MB is the difference between what you have and the full 9.3.3.

I realized that after I posted. I had asked that question some time back.
45/47

hab  (op)
Forum Regular
Jul 20, 2016, 03:15 PM

Interesting that Apple pushes out the full app download in iTunes that is 40x the size of what is actually needed just to update the existing iOS software. I would think that they would provide an option to either update the existing iOS system or to replace the existing system with the updated iOS system. [spoken by someone with a slow DSL service]. Not a big deal I guess.
21.5" iMac 2.7GHz i5; 15" FP iMac 0.8GHz G4, iPhone 5S

P
Jul 21, 2016, 09:10 AM

Main reason is probably that they haven't touched the iTunes update mechanism since iOS 5 or whatever added over-the-air updates, but in general I think that it is probably a much harder problem to do delta updates over iTunes. You'd have to figure out the exact version of the OS and hardware in advance, then download, and if you're wrong you'd have to redo it, leading to a poor experience. OS X has no concept of metered downloads (anymore, the old dial-up application, did, IIRC), so it just downloads the whole thing.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Forum Links
Forum Rules