Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Anyone miss pop-up tabbed folders?

Anyone miss pop-up tabbed folders?
Xtraz
Forum Regular
Sep 5, 2002, 06:34 PM

That is the one feature that will make 10.2 complete for me.

Also, everyone is liking the return of spring-loaded folders, but its still missing a part of it. In OS 9 you can do a click + click-and-hold on a folder (as opposed to dragging a file onto it), and then you can navigate through your harddrive without command-double-clicking or leaving windows all over your place.

::maroma::
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 06:44 PM

Yeah, I miss the tabbed pop-up folders. I used them all the time in 9. I'm hoping Apple will bring those back at some point...maybe along with the labels?

Adam Betts
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 06:51 PM

I don't believe they will bring pop-up tabbed window anytime soon. There isn't any good place to put them since Dock took over the bottom of the screen.

But you could try Drop Drawer (find in VT). It's not bad, I guess.

wataru
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 5, 2002, 07:16 PM

If you drag a window to the bottom of the screen so that only the bar is left, and then try to drag something into the window, it will pop up. I know it's not the same, but it's close.

SupahCoolX
Mac Elite
Sep 5, 2002, 07:18 PM

I loved the pop up folders in OS9 and used them daily.
However, in OSX, I have my dock on the right side of the screen (since there's more horizontal real estate than vertical) and have found other ways of getting things done. Pop up folders were great, but I probably wouldn't use them now in OSX since I've got it all worked out with the dock.

Terri
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 07:37 PM

Yeah I really miss tabbed folders. My dock is on the right so I have room or them at the bottom of my screen.

seb2
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 5, 2002, 08:17 PM

if you could invoke spring loaded folders by dragging something over an icon that's in your dock, a dream would come true.

but personally, i lost very little and gained a lot when i switched to os x the day it came out.

snerdini
Senior User
Sep 5, 2002, 09:19 PM

YES! That's probably the only feature I miss from OS9 at this point...

ShotgunEd
Mac Elite
Sep 6, 2002, 08:28 AM

When the feature first appeared in MacOS 8 I absolutley loved it, i became so attached to it in fact, that i was waiting for the day apple would allow pop-up folders on the sides and even top of the screen (just below the menubar). Well 8.5 came and left, as did 9, then bam, bye bye pop-ups, hello dock. I would love a third party utility that could implement pop-up folders in as good a way as the finder did in 8 and maybe some more, drop drawers just doesn't cut it for me.

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 08:32 AM

I don't miss them at all. I do agree with comment above, however, that spring-loaded functionality should work with the Dock as well. If we had that, there'd be no reason for anyone to miss the tabbed folders.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 08:36 AM

Why not just drag the folder to the dock. Then, click on the folder in the dock and hold. Up pops the contents of the folder.
Want to copy something to the folder? Just drag it to the dock folder alias, et voil�.

... Works for me

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 08:44 AM

Originally posted by VRL:
Why not just drag the folder to the dock. Then, click on the folder in the dock and hold. Up pops the contents of the folder.
Want to copy something to the folder? Just drag it to the dock folder alias, et voil�.

... Works for me
...unless you want to copy something several levels down within the folder in your dock.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:

...unless you want to copy something several levels down within the folder in your dock.
Are you sure this does not work? (Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.)

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 09:17 AM

Originally posted by VRL:

Are you sure this does not work? (Perhaps I misunderstand what you mean.)
Unfortunately not. I'd love to be able to drag a file from my desktop to, let's say, a folder within my Documents folder via the Home icon in the dock, by drilling ala spring loaded folders. Since that's not possible, one has to right click the file and select "copy", then open the Home folder, Documents folder, etc. manually. Or, one could drag the file to the hard disk icon and drill all the way down to the Home folder that way. Either method isn't as speedy as simply dragging the file to the Home icon in the dock and drilling down. Oh well.

Hopefully Apple will make this a feature of the dock in a future update, if for no other reason, than just to be consistent with the desktop folder behavior.

Hope that makes sense. My coffee has started working yet so I have no idea if it does.

Simon Mundy
Grizzled Veteran
Sep 6, 2002, 09:32 AM

Originally posted by xi_hyperon:
Hope that makes sense. My coffee has started working yet so I have no idea if it does.
...right up until that sentence.

But, yeah, the whole spring-loaded dock would more than accommodate my need for pop-up folders.

Unless, perhaps, something was implemented like Adobe GoLive whereby you can dock a folder onto any part of the screen. That'd be just dandy.
Computer thez nohhh...

Macanoid
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 09:39 AM

tabbed pop-up follder are available in OS X. Just get yourself Workstrip 2, and enjoy the many extra features! Have a look at the screenshot.

tabbed pop-up folders

xi_hyperon
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by Simon Mundy:

...right up until that sentence.
See, I told you.

chris v
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 09:57 AM

There's another shareware app out there called DragonDrop which is coming along nicely. The first version had some bad UI problems, but the last one I downloaded had come quite a ways. It's not there yet, but a revision or two might do it. So far, it only tabs folders to the bottom of the screen though, so you have to pin your dock to one side or the other in order to keep them from overlaying one another.

It's pretty simple and easy to set up, though.

CV

When a true genius appears in the world you may know him by this sign, that the dunces are all in confederacy against him. -- Jonathan Swift.

VRL
Senior User
Sep 6, 2002, 10:09 AM

Got it.

Drop Drawers is also quite nice, but the Spring Loaded Folder feature is not there yet either.

... I like that idea.

MacGorilla
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 6, 2002, 12:58 PM

Pop up tabbed folders are the only feature I miss from Mac OS 9.
Power Macintosh Dual G4
SGI Indigo2 6.5.21f

Forum Links
Forum Rules