Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Enthusiast Zone > Networking > is my airport extreme card damaged, or antenna?

is my airport extreme card damaged, or antenna?
macross
Apr 21, 2004, 04:25 PM

As of the past week or two, my powerbook seems to be having a hard time maintaing wireless signals. My wireless signal fluctuates often (every minute or two) between one bar (that small dot) to three bars (what i would always have shown on my wireless signal on my powerbook when i'm at home until the past week or two). Could my wireless card be damaged, it keeps fluctuating between one bar to three bars and a few times a day it won't even pick up my wireless signal at my home. I tried going to my firends house and using my school's wireless connections and my powerbook still exhibits the same symptoms and at times no connection (zero bars). So its fair to say the problem doesn't have anything to do with my wireless network at home. Do you think my airport extreme card maybe damaged or maybe the antenna? I use a 12"pb REV A, Panther. Thanks

Applefreak01
Senior User
Apr 21, 2004, 04:34 PM

Have up install any of the Airport software updates. Seems a lot of people are having problems after installing them. I guess I'm just one of the lucky ones
[Riding a circus elephant]
Peter: Look Lois, the two smybols of the Republican Party: an elephant, and a fat white guy who is threatened by change. - Family Guy

macross  (op)
Apr 21, 2004, 05:30 PM

Yes, i have. Just my luck too

himself
Mac Elite
Apr 26, 2004, 05:37 AM

I'm having the exact same problem, TiBook667. Mentioned it in that other thread discussing the airport update.
"Bill Gates can't guarantee Windows... how can you guarantee my safety?"
-John Crichton

ghporter
Administrator
Apr 26, 2004, 07:36 PM

Another thing to look at is how well the antenna cables are connected to the card. They sometimes back out of the connector on the card, causing this very problem. Before you try to undo an update, look at the simple, mechanical possibility first. If it's fine, then dig into the software.

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

Forum Links
Forum Rules