Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Apple's Official Response to White Spots

Apple's Official Response to White Spots
DigitalDNA
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 02:36 PM

According to Apple Support, the white spots are a known issue and are a result of the packaging of the powerbooks being too tight causing screen defects.

Having just recently purchased this powerbook, I was given 2 options, I could send it in for repair or send it in for a replacement machine.

Under the repair option I would get a brand new screen whereas with the replacement, I would get a brand new machine which they said may exibit the same defect. Oddly, you would think if they knew what caused the problem they would fix it and none of the new machines would exhibit the problem.

Here's my problem... if I choose to send it back I must do so before the end of the month for a replacement or I have a full year for repair. Does anyone know of any benefit to having the thing completely replaced at the end of the month or should I just send in for repair?

Thanks! All opinions welcome.
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 02:52 PM

I have a new 15PB and it has a couple of white spots. I haven't contacted Apple yet because I don't wanna send it in yet. I figure I have plenty of time (1yr warranty w/ AppleCare) and wanted to wait until they got these problems fixed for sure. I saw alot of postings of people sending in their machines 2 or 3 times.

And now with Panther due tomorrow, I want to install it on my Powerbook and play with it a bit before sending it in. So with all that being said, I will probably send it in for repair next month.

I am going for the repair because in every other way my machine is perfect. I don't want to risk getting a faulty latch or HD or even more spots. If there is something else wrong with your PB besides the screen, that might warrant a replacement. Other than that, I would say get it repaired.

-b

Lorinserbenz
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 03:02 PM

I went through three 15 inch Powerbooks, I would get a refund or upgrade to a 17 inch like I did.
You have 10 days after you swap to swap again, after that its off to repair.
If you must have a 15 wait a week or so. This problem has been going on now for 5 weeks, I am sure it will be corrected soon.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 03:07 PM

Well there are a couple other things wrong but they are minor so I'm still not sure what I'm going to do. I would guess that my replacement would be preloaded with Panther
"Wise man say: Number of posts does not equate credibility when you post 50 times to a single thread."

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 03:32 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
According to Apple Support, the white spots are a known issue and are a result of the packaging of the powerbooks being too tight causing screen defects.

I call bullhockey on this statement. I've had mine repaired. It shipped back and forth in a repair box, which many of you know is much different than the shipping box. If it is because of the original box, I shouldn't have another problem.

Having just recently purchased this powerbook, I was given 2 options, I could send it in for repair or send it in for a replacement machine.

Under the repair option I would get a brand new screen whereas with the replacement, I would get a brand new machine which they said may exibit the same defect. Oddly, you would think if they knew what caused the problem they would fix it and none of the new machines would exhibit the problem.

Here's my problem... if I choose to send it back I must do so before the end of the month for a replacement or I have a full year for repair. Does anyone know of any benefit to having the thing completely replaced at the end of the month or should I just send in for repair?

Thanks! All opinions welcome.
Repairs can be any time, and totally remove the possibility of the same thing showing up again if they have found a permanent fix.

Turns out to be a big "if", currently.
1.25GHz 1024M SD 15" AlBook

aapljack
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 23, 2003, 03:49 PM

Originally posted by machem:
Turns out to be a big "if", currently. [/B]
Is yours still spot-free after your repair, machem?

-b

fraeone
Oct 23, 2003, 04:08 PM

I call bullhockey on this statement. I've had mine repaired. It shipped back and forth in a repair box, which many of you know is much different than the shipping box. If it is because of the original box, I shouldn't have another problem.
I think he means the actual lcd packaging, in other words, the aluminum enclosure surrounding the top half of the Powerbook. "Packaging" is a term commonly used in the computer industry that has nothing to do with cardboard boxes. The raw lcd screen part came packaged in an aluminum Powerbook enclosure. -- To confirm this someone with spots, before returning try squeezing on your screen a little bit, it will likely increase the spots.

nobitacu
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 04:12 PM

Yea, he's right, I think they were talking about when they put the LCD screen together. I'm sure since now they know the problem, it should already been fixed in the factory. But just to be safe... I would just sent it in for a repair as well...

Ming
A Proud Mac User Since: 03/24/03
Apple Computer: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 3 GB Memory, 120 GB HD

MacDooku
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 23, 2003, 04:22 PM

DigitalDNA, how did you convince Apple to offer you a replacement unit? The representatives, that I have spoken with, have steadfastly denied my requests for a replacement in favor of repairing the unit.

Also, where did you originally purchase the unit?

Dennis the Phantom Menace
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 06:52 PM

I wonder why the white spots on my screen don't match the flex points on the backpanel. Does anybody else have white spots that match the flex points?

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by aapljack:
Is yours still spot-free after your repair, machem?

-b
No.

Spot number three showed up yesterday morning. It was personally inspected by two Apple reps today. One had never heard of the issue, and the other hadn't seen it. They hadn't gotten any official memo about it, but they were obviously out of the office all day.

They suggested that I wait a while before sending it in, because they understand how hard it is to be w/o it for a week or more, plus they want a permanent fix. They said they'd tell me when they could assure me that it would be a permanent fix.

I'm going to call it in, but send it when I feel like it. I still have the shipping/repair box.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 07:42 PM

FYI if this is the case, then its worthless having this laptop.
How can you carry around a laptop in a bag without it getting white spots?
If this is the case you cannot even carry it in a bag, without having to worry about a whitespot showing up. I sure the hell hope this isn't the case, I will just demand a refund if my replacement is like this and get a 12 inch powerbook.

If this is the case apple has some serious problems ahead of them.

Sakino
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 07:43 PM

Originally posted by MacDooku:
DigitalDNA, how did you convince Apple to offer you a replacement unit? The representatives, that I have spoken with, have steadfastly denied my requests for a replacement in favor of repairing the unit.

Demand that you talk to a supervisor. And demand a new one, keep calling every other day to ask if for a replacement. They finally gave into me.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by MacDooku:

Purchased on 9/27 and took possession on 10/6. I was told that since the whitespots were a known issue, the powerbook was fairly new and had a couple of issues (whitespots, funky spacebar, and a dead pixel) they'd go ahead and offer me a replacement till the end of the month... after which I would only be able to send in for repair.

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 23, 2003, 08:08 PM

Originally posted by Sakino:
Demand that you talk to a supervisor. And demand a new one, keep calling every other day to ask if for a replacement. They finally gave into me.
I suggest this as a last resort only. I have found Apple is much more cooperative and nice if you come across as really nice and try to win their sympathy. When you start getting demanding and rude is when they suddenly turn into

I guess this is probably the case with anyone but some companies demanding stuff and whatnot gets you a lot further than others... Apple is one of them that you should start out as nice as possible and then only demand and take an attitude in the end.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 23, 2003, 10:26 PM

Originally posted by DigitalDNA:
I suggest this as a last resort only. I have found Apple is much more cooperative and nice if you come across as really nice and try to win their sympathy. When you start getting demanding and rude is when they suddenly turn into
True True... Being polite will help your case. Yell at a rep and he/she will not do a thing for you. Be polite and friendly will help you in the long run.

bigben1024
Oct 24, 2003, 02:02 AM

as in all aspects of life.
that said, I do recomend a swift kick in the butt for some people.
try to imagine the reasons they will give you not to do what you want.
prepare your response to that in advance, and they will be at a loss of words, and putty.
<fancy signature here>

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 03:20 AM

Just curious what your source was; over the phone, in person, or on the web and when you heard? My CTO 15 shipped the 22nd and I'm hoping they already have change production techniques for the screen casing. It will be silly but typical Apple behavior to send me an old screen, since it seems there's a backlog for the new screen repairs.
( Last edited by Crusoe; Oct 24, 2003 at 03:34 AM. )
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

DigitalDNA  (op)
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 09:44 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
Just curious what your source was; over the phone, in person, or on the web and when you heard? My CTO 15 shipped the 22nd and I'm hoping they already have change production techniques for the screen casing. It will be silly but typical Apple behavior to send me an old screen, since it seems there's a backlog for the new screen repairs.
Over the phone on Thursday. They said if I chose the replacement option, the could not guarentee I would reveive a pb free of these defects.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 24, 2003, 02:21 PM

I just called to re-log my powerbook (screen was replaced once last week), because spots started showing up again. I was offered a replacement, with the new machine sent out before I'd have to return the old one. Note that this is a University machine (not an individual EDU purchase), so that may have had something to do with it.

I'm not going to order a new one, however, until I know the fix is a permanent one which applies to production also.

I was pretty happy at this unexpected result, as I was earlier lead to believe that I'd have to suffer under another repair cycle. BTW, this is a CTO (1x512M chip).

PoisonTooth
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 24, 2003, 06:36 PM

Well, if you look on Apple's support forums, the "white spots" thread is over 250 people deep. Many people have received machines within the last week that either had white spots out of the box, or developed them within a few days. There isn't any evidence of fixed PBs making their way out to customers. My gut tells me they will send the inventory they have now, and ONLY fix the ones who complain. I suspect Apple knows each PB runs this risk, but it's all they can do right now.

Which is too bad, really. For the past week, I've been sitting here, my order ready to fire at Apple.com, waiting to pull the trigger on a 15" PB, a dual G5, and a 20" cinema display. Given the problems with the PB -- and the fact that the machines might not come with Panther pre-installed -- I think I'll just wait to see how things pan out.

Waveman
Oct 24, 2003, 07:10 PM

I'm on my second 15" which was spotless until today. I now have a couple of faint spots. At this point, I don't want a repair or replacement until Apple states categorically that they've found and solved the problem.

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 24, 2003, 08:45 PM

I've had my PB for a month and have been amazed at not having spots (if a problem exists with a product, sure enough I'll get it!) Well today I thought I saw something, in the usual area where the spots appear (in a diamond shape, just left of center). Now at home I'm sure.

I can't be without this computer until my current job ends on Feb. 1. I guess I'll just have to wait. At least that gives Apple a chance to find a permanent fix for it.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Oct 26, 2003, 03:08 AM

Originally posted by KP*:
I've had my PB for a month and have been amazed at not having spots (if a problem exists with a product, sure enough I'll get it!) Well today I thought I saw something, in the usual area where the spots appear (in a diamond shape, just left of center). Now at home I'm sure.

I can't be without this computer until my current job ends on Feb. 1. I guess I'll just have to wait. At least that gives Apple a chance to find a permanent fix for it.
KP--I'm in the same boat as you! I've owned the PB 15" for almost a month and suddenly tonight, I am noticing white spots in the center of the screen.

spatterson
Mac Elite
Oct 26, 2003, 06:21 PM

Originally posted by Waveman:
I'm on my second 15" which was spotless until today. I now have a couple of faint spots. At this point, I don't want a repair or replacement until Apple states categorically that they've found and solved the problem.
Do you find is difficult to live with your spots, or can you wait until Apple has a definite fix?

ownersbox
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 26, 2003, 07:02 PM

I personally can live with it (am living with it)

They are simply annoying, they don't distort images they just look like burn marks (that are white) in the screen.

My boss called Apple to buy a 15 like mine, and was told with no heistation that the white spot issue had been resolved and his would not have it.

He should get it soon so I would like to see it...

Waveman
Oct 26, 2003, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by spatterson:
Do you find is difficult to live with your spots, or can you wait until Apple has a definite fix?
I can certainly live with them for now. I also can't afford to be without the PowerBook for the next couple of months. By then, I'm hoping for a real fix.

Unfortunately, there's always a chance that Apple will do either of the following:

1. Not acknowledge the problem publicly but continue to repair or replace on a case-by-case basis

2. Admit that the spots exist but claim that they're within spec

The second option is unlikely given the furor that would surely ensue. The first one is a possibility, however.

cing2x
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 27, 2003, 12:37 AM

so once and for all, do they have a permanent fix for the white spots?

anybody, call a couple of times and talked to different representatives who gave the same consistent answer? stop being so confusing, apple!
15" AlumiBook | 1.25Ghz | 512 | 80 | SD | Sweetness

Forum Links
Forum Rules