Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > First Time Mac User Impressed With Panther

First Time Mac User Impressed With Panther
bfurtado
Oct 29, 2003, 01:51 PM

So, I bought my First mac (powerbook Rev b) a month ago. The only problem I have is a slight case warp on the front with I have mentioned in a previous thread. Today I installed Panther and I must say its beautiful. As an experienced Windows user, it has always been the defacto standard to upgrade your hardware in order to handle a new OS. I guess with Apple, the concept is reversed - the OS speeds up the older hardware. My 12" PB scored 86.66 with Jaguar running the Xbench benchmarking utility. I ran it again with Panther and it scored 97.44 and I am still on the original 256MB of RAM (An additional 512MB is on order).

Very nice indeed. I am debating on whether to sell my Athlon Xp 2000 system with my Radeon 9800 Card, and DVD Burner, etc - so I can save up for a new G5 tower next year. I think Windows, is on its way out in my life.

Brian

nagromme
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 04:37 PM

I'm liking Panther a lot too.

If you save up, wait for at least the second generation of G5s--they will be faster if nothing else, and computers always get cheaper with time. Dual 3.0s by summer, supposedly!
nagromme

xylon
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 04:49 PM

After all those threads with people having trouble with their PB's, this is a much needed refresher. Glad everything is working out!

^Thanks to sealobo
Viva le ScrollWheel!

maconvert
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 29, 2003, 05:04 PM

I agree with bfurtado... I just recieved my first mac (powerbook) as well, and it works better, looks better, its just all around better.
I was getting files off of my old PC when it came in, and after awhile I couldnt even stand to look at my PC monitor - it looked so blurry after being on the powerbook. Then when I found out there was no registry or dll files in OSX I was so happy

I dont have much hope for Longhorn (by then who knows what Apple will have come out with)... and I seriously doubt now that i'll ever go back to PC.

cambro
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 05:42 PM

I'll add my strong endorcement to 10.3 too!

Panther kicks major butt all the way around...speed, new features, finder revamp (I like it!), did I mention speed?

The ONLY complaint I have is this: they did away with the internet preference pane. To change default browsers, you MUST open Safari. To change default mail application, you MUST open Mail. This BLOWS and reminds me of Microsoftian business practice.

If you agree, please tell Apple about it..

Podolsky
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 29, 2003, 05:42 PM

Be sure to configure and play with Expose - expecially the All Windows UI that you can access from F9 - it is really assume and really does make it easier to multi-task. I have not seen a UI feature that actually increases my productivity in a long time. Expose really does ROCK

cambro
Senior User
Oct 29, 2003, 05:46 PM

[offtopic]
Also, could someody PLEASE tell me what the big freakin deal is with Longhorn??? Isn't this supposed to come out in like TWO YEARS? WTF? I'm sick of hearing about what might emerge from Redmond someday.

Everybody goes around comparing Longhorn vaporware features to OS X features that you can buy and install NOW. This makes no sense at all.

Anyone want to speculate where the offspring of OS X will be in two years??!
[/offtopic]

macwalk
Forum Regular
Oct 29, 2003, 05:47 PM

Podolsky, I must agree!
I had several Windows Users drooling over the feature.

What makes it even better is doing it in slow- mo!!!!!

SHift+F9

That will freak them out for sure
Hmmmm..... maybe not!

bigben1024
Oct 29, 2003, 06:24 PM

cambro,
I'll speculate, and am willing to bet on it.
Where will the offspring of mac os x be in two years?

In my powerbook of course!

I'm still trying to figure out how I can save in a directory that is not given as a choice in microsoft word for mac osx.

Interesting my only gripe is with a microsoft software!

I love whippin this baby out in class. I can feel my powerbook getting hot from eyes of windows users burning holes.
<fancy signature here>

Eug
Clinically Insane
Oct 29, 2003, 06:38 PM

Panther is great and xbench can be fun to run, but xbench isn't very useful to compare two different versions of the OS, or across CPU generations for instance.

typoon
Addicted to MacNN
Oct 30, 2003, 12:40 PM

Welcome to the family. Panther DOES Rock. I just installed it on my brother's 600MHz iBook and it made a BIG imporvement on it. Expose was a littel slow but other than that it was great. Much better than Panther. Now I'm savin up to get a new Powerbook at sometime.
"Evil is Powerless If the Good are Unafraid." -Ronald Reagan

Apple and Intel, the dawning of a NEW era.

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
Oct 30, 2003, 04:04 PM

Originally posted by bigben1024:
I'm still trying to figure out how I can save in a directory that is not given as a choice in microsoft word for mac osx.
In all OS X open/save dialogs, you have a blue button to the right of the name field that will show/hide the file browser.

-s*

Forum Links
Forum Rules