Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Hard Drive / Cell Phone Q's

Hard Drive / Cell Phone Q's
LiquidGuy
Sep 24, 2004, 11:20 AM

First off, I just scored a sweet job as Graphic Designer for a communications company, my first GD related job that doesn't involve the word "freelance". Great folks, great pay.

Which brings me to the point: Before hoarding cash for the future, I'm going to spend a few bucks to improve/upgrade my equipment. Here's my short list for now:

- Max out RAM on Powerbook (in progress)
- Replace warped case (long story... in progress)
- Logitech MX900 (done)
- New HD
- New Cell Phone

I'm set to upgrade my dinky 4200 RPM drive in my 15" 1.25Ghz AlPB. The choices as of now are narrow, between a 7200/60GB and a 5400/80GB, as I understand it. However, I've heard there is not much difference in speed between 7200 and 5400. I've been doing some reading, and the most recent info I found said some new 7200 RPM 100GB drives would be coming out Q3 '04. Well we're nearing the end of Q3, and I've yet to see one on the market. Has anyone heard of any stalls on this? I don't want to spend money for a new HD, then have it become obsolete in a month.

As for a phone, I'm a cell virgin. Never had one, but it's a necessity now, as I'm averaging a 13 hour day (work + night school) away from home. I would like a phone that interacts with my Powerbook. I would also love to have one that lets me keep up to date in the sports world, but maybe that's a service issue, not a phone one...

Price? Not sure how high they go for, but let's say "mid-range".

Thanks in advance for the help gang.

iREZ
Professional Poster
Sep 24, 2004, 11:45 AM

Where'd you hear about a 100Gig 7200RPM HD, I thought that the 100Gig was going to be a 5400RPM, while the 7200RPM was going to get bumped to 80Gigs by Hitachi and Toshiba. Either or, your computer isn't going to become obsolete if you get a 7200HD right now, it's just that you'll have more storage space if you wait a little more. As for Graphic Design the 5400 is just as good as a 7200 HD, but if you were, let's say, going into pro music or video, then I would urge you to go with the 7200, just my dos pesos.
NOW YOU SEE ME! 2.4 MBP and 2.0 MBP (running ubuntu)

meatyocre
Sep 24, 2004, 11:49 AM

I use the Sony Ericsson T610 with my PowerBook. They connect via Bluetooth and works great to sync contacts and wireless internet connection. Plans and services vary greatly and it also depends on the particular area in which you reside.

For cell phones and plans - this is the best online resource:
http://www.howardforums.com/

LiquidGuy  (op)
Sep 24, 2004, 12:23 PM

iRez, I might have misread that info. Either or, I think I read it here, so it's not like it's concrete info or anything. Still, a 100GB 5400 model does sound tasty...

I probably won't dabble with audio/video much, so thanks for recommending a 5400. I might shoot for the 80GB, since that's what I have now and I have some room to move around. Do hard drives come down in price when a newer model comes along? Do you think there will be a price break on the 80GB when the 100GB appears?

meatyocre: thanks for the info on the T610, and thanks for the link! I will definitely check that out.

spiky_dog
Mac Elite
Sep 24, 2004, 09:45 PM

i've used a nokia 3650 for about a year (june 2003-july 2004). it worked well. i especially enjoyed browsing the "full" web (as opposed to miniature wap-only sites) with opera for symbian os. the built in email client with pop and imap support was also nice.

my current phone is a sony ericsson t637. it actually hasn't arrived in the mail quite yet from amazon.com, but all signs point to it being a nice evolutionary upgrade from the t610, with a brighter and richer screen being its major selling point. google on any of these terms (nokia 3650 review, se t637 review, opera for symbian) and you'll find a wealth of information. both the 3650/6600 (basically the same in a slightly different casing) and the t637 are available for free or actually for negative dollar amounts through amazon.com, provided you buy a plan there too.

bbugge
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 28, 2004, 07:45 AM

I recomend the Nokia 6600. Used it for about a year now, and it sync perfect with my G4 PB 1,33! AND, lot�s of great software for i on the web.

Randman
Posting Junkie
Sep 28, 2004, 07:50 AM

I agree with the 6600 as far as a phone goes.
For hard drive, I'd go with the faster speed as you can always add an external or iPod if you need more space (which you'd likely need as a GD anyways).
And you're right about maxing ram, that should be job 1. And congrats on the new job.

This is a computer-generated message and needs no signature.

JKT
Professional Poster
Sep 28, 2004, 08:22 AM

Phone wise, I only have experience with Sony Ericsson (T68i to be precise) and it works well, so I imagine latter day versions of this phone would be good to. However, before you decide on a phone, I recommend you read the list of compatible ones for Salling Clicker and get one of those. Salling Clicker lets you automate a number of things via your phone if it has Bluetooth, such as pausing/playing iTunes when you leave or enter your room, Keynote/Powerpoint presentations, pausing DVD player when someone calls, displaying the name of whoever calls, etc. In other words, it makes your mobile phone even more useful.

Obviously, this necessitates having Bluetooth on your computer too (either built-in or via a USB dongle).

LiquidGuy  (op)
Sep 28, 2004, 11:24 AM

Just an update:

I received my 1GB memory chip from newegg last night, and it caused kernel panics. Again. This is the second Kingmax chip that's gone faulty, and I am about to blow.

Meanwhile, I went with the 5400 RPM upgrade, and I am loving it. Everything seems much faster. I can't wait to see how my PB performs at max ram.

I'm still scouting phones, but I am really interested in Sony Ericsson phones.

Thanks for the help, all.

MountainMac
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 29, 2004, 12:07 AM

The Samsung i500 is a schweet Palm phone if kind of thing's your bag, baby.

MM
Plato--what's a "Chickie Run"?

amazing
Professional Poster
Sep 29, 2004, 01:12 PM

Bluetooth phones are the way to go, because of how easy it is to sync the address book with a laptop and because of Bluetooth headsets. There is one mobile provider out there that has disabled the address book sync in the bluetooth phone they offer--they want you to buy their cable, so be sure to read up on everything.

mobile coverage depends on where you are, so asking for phone recommendations is a bit the wrong way to go. Find out how about various companies' mobile coverage in your area, then sort out how you're going to be using it.

For example, t-mobile offers the best minutes per plan, but don't have coverage everywhere, especially if you travel in the back country, or plan long driving vacations.

Once you settle on a mobile provider, then go into their office and ask several salespeople which phone has the fewest dropped calls, which phone has the best antenna. People at t-mobile recommend the Nokia 6600 over the Sony Ericson for reception. The Motorola V600 is small and light, but reception may be a problem. Another for example, the Treos don't have the best reception, and they're bulky and heavy.

amazon.com offers the best phone prices and rebates when you sign up for a plan through them. Stay tuned for the upcoming holiday season when all the cellphone providers seem to come out with better promotions.

Lastly, reconcile yourself to receiving poor customer service, regardless of service provider. That way, you won't be disappointed. Brush up on your Hindi accent.

Forum Links
Forum Rules