Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Alternative Operating Systems > Boot Camp BSODs??

Boot Camp BSODs??
nfrank
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 22, 2008, 03:44 PM

I have been trying to install Windows XP on my mac for a couple of weeks now. The first time I did it, it worked flawlessly for about 5 days, then my hard drive completely failed, hopefully due to something besides boot camp/windows XP. But now that I've replaced my hard drive I'm trying to reinstall Windows XP. I'm using the same windows disc I used before, but every time I make to one of two places, either:
1. I get to somewhere between 50%-90% through the copying step of installing windows and I get a BSOD (not sure what it says, I'll post that later) or
2. I get all the way through the copying part, I restart my computer and continue to install windows, but actually with the windows theme involved(not sure really what this step is "called") and then it gives me a fatal error (which I will, again, post later)
I've used the same windows CD to install windows via Parallels Desktop just fine, so I don't think it's the disc, but I obviously have no idea what is happening!
Any help would be very greatly appreciated

Eug
Clinically Insane
Sep 22, 2008, 04:03 PM

Have you tested the rest of your machine? You can get similar problems with bad RAM for example.

Check out memtest. (Apple's memory testing app that's on the hardware test disk is useless.)

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 22, 2008, 04:45 PM

When you restart your install attempt are you completely rebuilding the partition? If not, I would do that in case it is a files system issue.

Also, this seems more like an alternative OS forum thread.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

nfrank  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 25, 2008, 12:55 AM

ok. anyone else?

olePigeon
Clinically Insane
Oct 1, 2008, 05:02 PM

Are you sure it's XP SP2 and not just XP?

Also, try removing one of your RAM chips before you install. I know Vista BSODs during install if you have more than 3GB of RAM while trying to install it.
"…I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than
you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods,
you will understand why I dismiss yours." - Stephen F. Roberts

Forum Links
Forum Rules