Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > airport and os9 - no internet.....

airport and os9 - no internet.....
rich82fox
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 12:23 PM

hi

I ma trying to browse the internet via airport on my os9 ibook g3.

I enable airport and it connects to the network after typing in wireless password

yet when I go to browse the internet, no page displays

Is there any other control panels I need to configure?

(my wireless router is a BT Voyager 2091 - Wireless ADSL Router)

rich
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 12:42 PM

What type of WIFI security is the router using currently? I don't think you can use anything higher than WEP on OS 9. It also depends on what model iBook G3 you're on. I've had trouble connecting to WPA on my old clamshell G3 466 even in Panther. I think I read that the original Airport card in the clamshell models may not have hardware support for WPA.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
What type of WIFI security is the router using currently? I don't think you can use anything higher than WEP on OS 9. It also depends on what model iBook G3 you're on. I've had trouble connecting to WPA on my old clamshell G3 466 even in Panther.
the router is at least 3 years old
PowerMac G5 Dual 1.8GZ, 2GB RAM, 150 & 300 GB Internal Hard Drives, AGP Geoforce 5200 64MB Graphics Card, Superdrive.

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 12:52 PM

Doublepost deleted.
( Last edited by Tuoder; Jun 17, 2010 at 12:58 PM. )

Tuoder
Mac Elite
Jun 17, 2010, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
Do you know what sort of encryption you're using?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 17, 2010, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by rich82fox View Post
You need to determine if it's using WEP or WPA. WPA has been around for more than three years so I can't determine what you're using with that information alone.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 17, 2010, 01:15 PM

You need to determine if it's using WEP or WPA. WPA has been around for more than three years so I can't determine what you're using with that information alone.
apparently is prefigured for WEP

rich

tinkered
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 17, 2010, 01:22 PM

I only kind of remember Mac OS 9 but if I recall Airport was managed through an application that would tell you the signal strength once you joined a network.

Also, I believe I recall that you could confirm that you were connected to a network and assigned a an IP address by going to Apple menu > Control Panels > TCP/IP.
17" MBP C2D 2.33/3 GB RAM/500 GB 7200 rpm/Glossy Display|-|
17" iMac CD|-|15" PB G4 1.25 GHz|-|iBook g4 1Ghz|-|Pismo

rich82fox  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 18, 2010, 02:47 PM

What type of WIFI security is the router using currently? I don't think you can use anything higher than WEP on OS 9. It also depends on what model iBook G3 you're on. I've had trouble connecting to WPA on my old clamshell G3 466 even in Panther. I think I read that the original Airport card in the clamshell models may not have hardware support for WPA.
But it does connect to the wireless network in os10.3 - just not in os9

so I take it there is no way of updating OS9 to connect to a wpa wireless network?

rich

amazing
Professional Poster
Jun 18, 2010, 03:20 PM

OS 9 can't "talk" WPA

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Jun 18, 2010, 04:42 PM

OH WAIT WAIT WAIT!!!!! Hope I got your attention!

I just remembered that if we're talking about WEP under OS 9 you usually need to add a $ before your WEP password. Has something to do with not being HEX encoded by default, IIRC.

Why anyone would still be using OS 9 at this point is kind of beyond me, but I hope that tip helps.

Forum Links
Forum Rules