Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Screen dims automatically after 1 min?

Screen dims automatically after 1 min?
Zemrec
Mar 2, 2003, 12:04 AM

My iBook 700 (10.2.3, but has been doing it since I got in July, and I belive my old 500 did it too) automatically dims after about 1 minute of no input. Its not the screensaver, thats different, I have that set to use the "Flurry" after 20 mins, and in Energy Saver display sleep is also 20 mins. I can find no setting for this.

Its very annoying, especially when watching a movie! I have to keep moving the pointer or hit a key.

Agent69
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 12:23 AM

I don't recall my old iBook 500 ever doing that.
Agent69

mdc
Addicted to MacNN
Mar 2, 2003, 12:30 AM

mine does that if i set the battery 'scheme' to best battery life.

try put it on automatic and see what happens

Zemrec  (op)
Mar 2, 2003, 12:48 AM

Its already on "automatic". I wonder if theres a settings file I can delete....I'm digging around in the System folder. Mac OS X doesn't make this as easy as it was in classic...

awaspaas
Mac Elite
Mar 2, 2003, 04:15 AM

I believe it's supposed to dim the screen to half current brightness after half of the time to total display sleep has elapsed. Does the display dim to half brightness or does the backlight go out and the display blanks completely?

Zemrec  (op)
Mar 25, 2003, 09:51 PM

Originally posted by awaspaas:
I believe it's supposed to dim the screen to half current brightness after half of the time to total display sleep has elapsed. Does the display dim to half brightness or does the backlight go out and the display blanks completely?
It dims to half brightness. But if that "half of the time to total display sleep has elapsed" is true, that would mean my sleep time was set at 2 minutes or so, which its not. I'll check it out when I get home though. But I REALLY wish Apple had documented this and provided a checkbox to en/disable it.

Forum Links
Forum Rules