Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Belkin Wireless DSL router

Belkin Wireless DSL router
Krypton
Mac Elite
Jun 3, 2003, 03:40 PM

Product Link

This is Belkin's 801.11g router - does any one have one, or any experience getting it to work with a Mac running OS X?

We have 3 macs (1 laptop) with Airport cards and basically dial up from one and share to the rest. However, on Friday our ISP will (finally) activate our ADSL connection - and this looked like a great alternative to using their free ADSL modem and having to have one computer permanently on.

Any info would be appreciated as the price is very attractive - as opposed to buying an Airport base station and a modem/router, and it does say Mac compatible, just no drivers as far as I can see

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 12:34 PM

No... This is attractive.

Krypton  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 4, 2003, 01:13 PM

Originally posted by aaanorton:
No... This is attractive.
Well yes, that would be my first choice too (the Netgear) - but it costs �180 here, while the belkin is �99 and doesn't look as snazy but I'd like to know whether it works.

iDORK
Forum Regular
Jun 4, 2003, 01:46 PM

Originally posted by Krypton:
Product Link

This is Belkin's 801.11g router - does any one have one, or any experience getting it to work with a Mac running OS X?

We have 3 macs (1 laptop) with Airport cards and basically dial up from one and share to the rest. However, on Friday our ISP will (finally) activate our ADSL connection - and this looked like a great alternative to using their free ADSL modem and having to have one computer permanently on.

Any info would be appreciated as the price is very attractive - as opposed to buying an Airport base station and a modem/router, and it does say Mac compatible, just no drivers as far as I can see
I use to the own the Belkin 54g and I had no issues with it. The range is VERY good compared to my Netgear 802.11g router. It recognized my Apple Powerbook 802.11g connection fine. Netgear doesn't recognize "G" on my Powerbook or my Linksys 802.11g PCI adapters; not yet at least until it 802.11g becomes finalized.

CNET has a review on the Belkin 54g. Good review in fact.

Zemrec
Aug 11, 2003, 10:53 PM

I have a 802.11b Belkin wireless router f5d6230-3 that works great with my ibook airport, but I can't get WEP to work. I've tried 64 and 128 bit automatic and manual, but can't get it to work.

Anyone have any luck? Or another way (VPN maybe?) to secure the link. I hear about wardriving all the time, and I don't think I've been a victim, but I'd like to be secure.

aaanorton
Mac Elite
Aug 11, 2003, 11:44 PM

Put a $ before the 128 bit password when joining the network.

Angus_D
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 12, 2003, 08:24 AM

I have a Belkin 54g running here with WEP and all. The range is sucky, but I think that's largely because we have thick brick walls and the g standard sucks

Forum Links
Forum Rules