Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 15" ALU PowerBook airport reception? real world experience.

15" ALU PowerBook airport reception? real world experience.
scctx
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Sep 30, 2003, 09:45 PM

So what kind of reception have people seen with their new 15" PowerBook thus far?

I can't get 5 feet away from my snow base station before I lose my signal.
Even when I'm right next to the base station I only get about 3 bars. I have another post on this board about how my card had become unseated and the Apple store supposedly said that was all that was wrong with it. I'm not convinced, there has to be something wrong with my airport card or external antenna if no one else is having these problems. At the Apple store I could only get 10 to 15 feet away from the base station before it was completely gone, and that was with the extreme base stations. They said this was normal and what they got when they put their airport card in my machine. So it's got to be the internal antenna right? I am thinking about buying a new airport extreme card and trying that, if that doesn't work I'll return it but that will cost me 10% for the restocking fee. Oh and the Apple store tried to charge me $50 for reseating the card. I got into a brawl with them over that since the thing didn't work straight out of the box so I'm not exactly ready to go back in there and let them have another crack at it since they think it's fine.

So now I'm going to look into the QuickerTek stub antenna if all else fails. I'm not even sure if it'll work in the new Aluminum 15". Why or why does this have to happen to me. I'm in the living room with an ethernet cable running across the house to the base station. That's portability for you.

12" rev B PowerBook SD APX
12" iBook 700

agentmouthwash
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 06:41 AM

Are you using the most updated airport firmware? Do you have a microwave of a cordless phone near by? All these effect the airport signal.
Powerbook G4 1.25GHZ

scctx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 09:05 AM

My ABS is at firmware 4.0.8, that is the latest as far as I know because it asked me to update it just 2 days ago. Surely the card has the latest firmware since it's a new machine right? It's not just my base station, ANY base station. I know it's the internal antenna or card, I just can't prove it yet. Unless this thing is like the TiBooks?? I'm this close to opening her up.

I did an experiment last night. I took the battery out and plugged the power cord in and opened the little airport door and kind of pulled the antenna out a little. The reception was at least 30 to 40% better, but still only got signal at only about 20 feet at the right angle. I know it's not my ABS, my iBook can be used across the street practically with it. So if I'm getting some signal the card must be good and it's the internal antenna. That's where I'm at now.

I need feedback if I'm the only one seeing this with the new 15".

Luckiliy I have a 2nd Apple store I can go to so I may go there today and just give them the $50 to look it over real good. I don't know if they will open it up there or not, that's what I really want. I need to know what is an exceptable number for the range of these things. It has to be more than 10 feet! Once I can get someone with Apple to commit to a number I can show them that I am way under that and it needs to be inspected UNDER WARRANTY.

Continuing to bang head.
12" iBook 700

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 09:40 AM

I would open it up and inspect that the card is seated properly and the antenna cable is fully connected, things could have simply came lose during shipment. If the aforementioned isn't the case, you probably have a bad card or antenna wiring, even with bad drivers you should get more than 5 feet.

Just follow the directions for installing the AE card.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

scctx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 11:17 AM

Originally posted by Crusoe:
I would open it up and inspect that the card is seated properly and the antenna cable is fully connected, things could have simply came lose during shipment. If the aforementioned isn't the case, you probably have a bad card or antenna wiring, even with bad drivers you should get more than 5 feet.

Just follow the directions for installing the AE card.
I've pulled the card out and reseated it no less than ten times now. The Apple store did too and said 15 feet was acceptable in their store given the interference there. I call BS.

12" iBook 700

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 1, 2003, 11:47 AM

Perhaps the problem is with your base station. What WAP are you using? If you've got the AEBS, see firmware version info below. Regardless of brand, the problem could be with the base station.

For improving reception, have you tried the following with the base station:

1. change the channel--it's usually set to 6, try 2 or 10
2. make sure it's set to the fastest, eg 11 mbps
3. change the location (move it at least 5 feet)
4. use macstumbler to get some actual reception numbers, relying on the "bars" of reception isn't accurate enough
5. turn any cordless phones and base stations off, check if reception improves.
6. Apple just released firmware 5.1.3 for the AEBS, airport software is version 3.1.1

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 12:06 PM

I have an AL15" and an AE base station with the latest driver. My apartment is long and narrow, and the greatest distance end-to-end is 32 feet. My airport is mounted on one far wall, and standing in the bathroom at the other end I can just barely get it to drop below 4 bars of reception. If I close the door or hide behind the wall it goes to 3 bars, if I stand in the open doorway it goes back to 4.

So at least with my configuration and whatever interference may or may not be in the air of my home, it sounds like you should be getting much better reception. In any case, it doesn't seem to be a flaw of the AL15 in general.

I hope that helps you figure it out. Sorry you're having problems.

macxtal
Oct 1, 2003, 02:18 PM

I have a Cisco Aironet access point. Reception with the AlBook is MUCH better than the Tibook.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 02:42 PM

This is purely qualitative, as I haven't even used the graphing utility to measure, but here goes:

Original base station, Four portables:

1) Pismo w/ AP card. 90% of max signal strength, on average, 50ft from BS. Drops the signal about 1/2 the time in my office (BS on other side of the house, conveniently).

2) iBook USB 700MHz w/ AP card. 100% of max signal 50 ft from BS. No issues anywhere in my house or yard or guest house (100ft away from BS).

3) TiBook 500 MHz w/ AP card. TERRIBLE reception. 50% of max signal 50' from BS.

4) New 15" AlBook w/ APE card. 100% of max signal (as good or better than iBook), 50ft from BS. No drop-offs anywhere I need to use it.

What I did was look at the signal strength bars --- as I said, qualitative. But my new PB is as good, if not better than my wife's iBook.

machem
Forum Regular
Oct 1, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by KP*:
I have an AL15" and an AE base station with the latest driver. My apartment is long and narrow, and the greatest distance end-to-end is 32 feet. My airport is mounted on one far wall, and standing in the bathroom at the other end I can just barely get it to drop below 4 bars of reception. If I close the door or hide behind the wall it goes to 3 bars, if I stand in the open doorway it goes back to 4.

No experience sitting in the bathroom using the 'book?

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Oct 1, 2003, 03:07 PM

OK ... I've re-emerged, somewhat, from last Friday's delivery :-)

RoadRunner, Toshiba Cable Modem, NetGear MR314 (804.11b ... WGR614 804.11g on order from Amazon, last nite, with $25 rebate :-) .....

Back on topic ... the 15" AL PB Airport Extreme seems to be the equal of my Dual USB 500 iBook ... range, speed, etc. ... works in the 2nd bedroom, outside, and yes ... even in the bathroom.

FiberOne Bill
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

scctx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 1, 2003, 04:00 PM

Well the latest.

I went to the other Apple store in my area and finally SERVICE! The 2 genuises there were very simpathetic to my plight and immediately determined that my machine has a severe problem with it's airport range. They couldn't believe the service I got at the other store. They placed my PowerBook right next to all of their base stations and got only half signal while all the other 15"s in the store were showing full strength. So since it is a BTO they could only send it off for repair or say it is Dead On Arrival and open a case for that and I can have Apple send me a new one.

Even though I'm scared of the white spots problems with other displays I've decided to get a new one. My display was flawless, no dead pixels.

So I'm talking to the Apple sales guy right now and I have an option of a refund, wait for the credit and then go to Apple store and pick up a stock one or they can send me another BTO. Believe it or not I'm going with the BTO. What an idiot I am.

I can change my mind to a refund before I call them with the FedEx tracking number, which releases them to ship my new one. So it looks like I'm about to go through the Airborne nightmare for a second time. I couldn't have the replacement machine sent to the Apple store or to any other address that is not on file with my credit card.

So don't ever give up and stand your ground, you'll be rewarded in the end!

So rack em up and lets do it again!
12" iBook 700

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Oct 1, 2003, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by machem:
No experience sitting in the bathroom using the 'book?

Not yet. I prefer to use my PDA with Wi-Fi card for that. Better than Readers Digest, and you know how hot those 'books get on the lap!

Drakino
Grizzled Veteran
Oct 1, 2003, 05:54 PM

Just to add to the confirmation that something was definitly wrong, I see my neighboors "linksys" wireless network from my house. This is the neighboor across the streat from me, and by what I understand, he has the basestation in the back of hs house.
<This space under renovation>

hart
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 06:03 AM

With my card I've been able to call up and add shipping addresses to their files. Call your card company and find out.

scctx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 08:25 AM

I talked it over with my wife and decided to end this crazy train. I just called Apple and asked for a refund. Now I'm free to just go down to the store and pick up a stock one. That way I can take the BTO and Airborne problems out of the picture. It'll take a while for the credit to show up on my credit card (about 5 business days) but that's ok.

So now I'm re-evaluating my purchase and may switch to a 12" SD. I know, I am a nut.

I'm not going to bash on the 15", it's great, but I'm reconsidering my needs now and while I was stuck using my wife's 12" iBook again last night I fell in love with the 12" again. So I've been thinking about it all night and have decided that I'm just going to get a 12". I read AssassyN's review of the rev B 12" and was sold. That guy should get kickbacks from Apple or something.

I don't really need the 15" 1.25Ghz, which is what I would have to buy in order to get the 80Gb, lit keyboard I had on my 1Ghz BTO. I'll miss the lit keyboard but it's just a silly little thing. I'm not a power user and I don't play that many games. I think I'm gonna take the extra cash and buy a Bluetooth mouse for it. Either way I'm going home with a new Powerbook today. (I hope they have the new 12's in stock.)

And I will pop the airport card in and check the reception before I leave the store, I can guarantee you that.
12" iBook 700

InterfaceGuy
Senior User
Oct 2, 2003, 10:28 AM

I just received my new 15" yesterday. My Netgear router is in my basement on the east wall. On the first floor the signal is 100% no matter where I am. On the second floor on the east wall its 75% and on the west wall 50%.

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 01:17 PM

When MacWorld reviewed the snow vs the AEBS earlier this year, they used MacStumbler to get actual figures. Using 'bars or reception' as a guage is notoriously inaccurate. I'm told that MacStumbler now supports the AE card.

Anybody with an iBook and a new PB interested in using MacStumbler to get figures from each?

One other way I used to measure the range was to connect to a broadband speedtest site: That way you can guage whether you're still getting full bandwidth as you increase the range from the WAP. For example, MacWorld noted that the AEBS dropped off precipitously in bandwidth compared to the other g-WAPs (50% reduction in bandwidth compared to the others, as I recall)

http://bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

scctx  (op)
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 2, 2003, 01:37 PM

In my experiments I also used a Konfabulator widget that gives the reception as a % from 0 to 100. From 5 feet away I was seeing about 65%. From there it dropped off really quick.
12" iBook 700

amazing
Professional Poster
Oct 2, 2003, 06:38 PM

scctx: That's pretty terrible range. Reminds me of my Ti-400, which had a range of about 10-15 feet, with loss of signal around 20-25 feet. Bandwidth dropped off very quickly. I finally solved the bandwidth problem by getting rid of the internal card and getting a Cisco Aironet. I had full reception with no loss of bandwidth on the patio, where the internal card couldn't even see any base station.

This really begs the question: How is it that some people are reporting excellent AE range, and others are getting terrible range?

Same thing with the battery: Some people are reporting 3.5 hrs of battery life, others can barely eke out 2.5 hours (if that.)

Forum Links
Forum Rules