Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > FrankenMac dead or dying

FrankenMac dead or dying
Zemrec
Oct 22, 2003, 11:02 AM

Hi, up until last night my FrankenMac was running beautifully almost non-stop since I built-in in mid-September. When I got home last night, the machine was still powered up, but locked up.

Reset didn't help. PSU comes on, fans come on, no chime. I reseated the video, CPU, and 3 DIMMs, and checked power/IDE on HD and CDRW/DVD. Unplugged power, held PMU button for several seconds. Plugged power back in, again, fans, PSU comes on, but no chime.

I started systematically trying just one of my 3 DIMMs in each slot. Finally I gave up and started to work on my Linux box to get it to read the Mac disk for salvage.

Then I tried the Mac again...this time it chimed and booted! Everything seemed great for about 5 minutes, then it locked again. Back to no chime after a reset. So went back to the linux box, then tried mac again with just 1 DIMM.

This time it booted and worked great for 30 minutes at which point I decided to try another DIMM. It booted! And went for at least an hour and a half, at which point I left it on and went to bed. This morning it was hung again.

So far I've only been able to get it to chime a few times, its very inconsistent, I can't find a pattern. Doesn't matter if I use one of my 256 MB DIMMs or my 128 MB one in any of the slots (except the first one, which has never worked, just get a scratchy hiss and 3 tones whenever somethings in there, but like I said I had been running it fine before.) Doesn't matter if I hold down the PMU, unplug power, etc. Just seems to need to "cool off" for about 5 minutes before it'll chime again. And its not heat...nothing feels hot. And again its been running fine until yesterday.

But today it won't complete a boot. I let it sit for 15 minutes at the Grey Apple with Spinning Clock screen. Next I tried holding CMD-V, and it seemed OK for a minute, then stopped a little bit later, keyboard/mouse unresponsive (USB Microsoft kb/m, I've noticed whenever it hangs, the power goes off on these.)

HELP! What's going on!

superlarry
Senior User
Oct 23, 2003, 05:10 PM

edit: i should've read the whole post first to see it wasn't heat :c) but i still think that might be the case. make sure all your fans are working. what kind of upgrades are making this a "Frankenmac"?

Zemrec  (op)
Oct 23, 2003, 05:42 PM

yeah. so I came home, and it started up. but wouldn't load up normally, stuck on the grey apple/circle tick thing. use CMD-V for text mode start up, have to wait a while, hit enter a few times, and it seemed to boot. but locked up. I moved ram around, took out the 128 MB dimm. wouldn't start right away. I left it unplugged for 5 mins. started up, (again sits there on grey apple) but cmd-v works. and it was fine. :-? I dunno. suddenly it doesn't like that one dimm? and even if you take it out you have to let it sit for a few minutes.....

Its a gigabit ethernet and PSU I got off of ebay, plus a OWC 1.0 Ghz G4 with 2 MB L3, 512 MB (currently), Geforce4 MX 32MB, LG Combo drive, 80 GB Hitachci Deskstar.

Zemrec  (op)
Oct 25, 2003, 12:47 PM

Sadly, FrankenMac is sick again. It worked fine Thursday, but Friday and today its been locking up and then not chiming after a reset again.

I had reinstalled Jaguar yesterday to try to get rid of the start up problems, but Friday night it started locking up again.

I have a suspicion its the motherboard, but I don't know how to test it. And I really don't want to have to buy another $180 3-year-old motherboard. Anyone have any suggestions?

Forum Links
Forum Rules