Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > 10.3.2 15" AlBook S-Video out port no longer works

10.3.2 15" AlBook S-Video out port no longer works
Zemrec
Dec 27, 2003, 01:05 AM

Prior to 10.3.2 I had been able to plug in the S-Video - Composite adapter cable and connect to a TV for output, it would detect the TV as a separate display. But today it won't work at all, doesn't do anything when I plug the cable in. "Detect Displays" doesn't, and neither does CMD-F2 (the same function?)

I've rebooted a number of times, from warm and cold start and no difference. Its like that port is just off.

I saw on the MacFixit front page about 10.3.2 problems with DVD player and ATI cards (which this has), and search for "ATI monitor.plist", but it doesn't exist. There's nothing in my whole hard disk that has the words "ATI" and "plist" in it, nor can I find any "display" or "video" plists.

Help!

ATY,RV350M10:

Type: display
Bus: AGP
VRAM (Total): 64 MB
Vendor: ATI (0x1002)
Device ID: 0x4e50
Revision ID: 0x0000
ROM Revision: 113-xxxxx-117

Display:

Type: display
Display Type: LCD
VRAM (In Use): 64 MB

ATY,Jasper_B:

KP*
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 27, 2003, 01:38 AM

Sorry I can't offer you a solution, all I can contribute is that I use the S-video port every day with my 15"AlBook and have seen no problems as a result of upgrading to 10.3.2 or any other OS upgrade from Jaguar, so it's not just the upgrade causing the problem.

Zemrec  (op)
Dec 27, 2003, 02:05 PM

Originally posted by KP*:
Sorry I can't offer you a solution, all I can contribute is that I use the S-video port every day with my 15"AlBook and have seen no problems as a result of upgrading to 10.3.2 or any other OS upgrade from Jaguar, so it's not just the upgrade causing the problem.
Someone suggested doing the old pram reset trick, but it didn't work of course.

But this proves that its a software issue:

Via the S-video to Composite adapter I connected the PB to my compostite to coaxial adapter (older TV...), and no video, just static. Displays menu doesn't show anything other than the LCD.

Since the TV doesn't have S-video direct, I connected S-video to my Tivo (which is then connected via composite to the composite adapter.) VOILA!! I get a picture from the Powerbook and the displays menu shows NTSC TV 800x600.

Now, here's the funny part that HAS to be software related:

I disconnected the S-video cable, but the Displays menu still shows the TV listed. And if I move the pointer to the edge of the LCD it disappears just as if the screen were still there. So I connected the S-video adapter and composite cable to the TV adapter. Guess what I get now? Video over the composite line to the TV!

And, hmmm....what happens if I hit "Detect Displays".....well, none other than the "NTSC TV 800x600" disappears from the menu and the TV shows static again, and I can't get it to come back, unless I plug in a S-video cable again.

So to sum it up:

When using S-video to composite adapter with a composite cable, the Powerbook does NOT detect the TV and won't display anything.

However if I use a straight s-video cable, it DOES detect a display. **AND** it fails to remove it once the cable is removed, hence I can connect the S-video to composite adapter with a composite cable and get composite **AS LONG AS I DON'T HIT DETECT DISPLAYS**.

Apple screwed something up.

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Dec 27, 2003, 06:57 PM

Sounds to me like maybe the S-video to composite plug went bad?

It's normal for the system to not detect the removal of a video cable (be it VGA, DVI, or s-video). It also doesn't detect when you connect it. You need to press Detect Displays to make it see whether you attached or removed a display.

tooki

MacsGalor
Senior User
Dec 27, 2003, 07:11 PM

In order for your powerbook to detect a display it needs to be sleeping when you connect it. try that, but it also should work if the machine is off hope this helps though.

If you want the Apple Service manual I put it on my idisk's public folder username: paulmeyer

Forum Links
Forum Rules