Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > DVD capacity

DVD capacity
ivi
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 11:34 PM

Can anyone please tell me whats the largest single sided dvd is there? I got a DVD of my friend with a customly burned films on it, the DVD was 7.3 Gb. Can I buy DVD-R as big as this anywhere?

G4ME
Addicted to MacNN
Jan 30, 2003, 11:38 PM

4.7 single layer, so 9.4 double layered,

when you go double sides you can double that, to about 17 gigs, (formating)

I GOT WASTED WITH PHIL SHERRY!!!

ivi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 11:42 PM

Originally posted by G4ME:
4.7 single layer, so 9.4 double layered,

when you go double sides you can double that, to about 17 gigs, (formating)

Thanx very much for quick reply, so I need to look for double layered DVD then.

ivi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 30, 2003, 11:48 PM

It's not actually that easy, does anyone know where can I buy some in UK?

xtal
Senior User
Jan 31, 2003, 12:19 AM

I'm not sure that consumer-level DVD burners can burn dual layer discs. I may be mistaken though.

To choose doubt as a philosophy of life is akin to choosing immobility as a means of transportation.

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2003, 12:36 AM

9.4 GB discs are double-sided not dual-layered. ie. You have to flip the disc over to burn the other side.

Each layer of dual-layer discs are stamped, then the two layers are glued together. They are not "burned" like with home DVD burners.

There is no such thing as a dual-layer single-sided DVD-R or a dual-layer double-sided DVD-R.

There are only single-layer single-sided DVD-Rs and single-layer double-sided DVD-Rs.

By the way, a "4.7 GB" disc burns 4.37 GB.

ivi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 01:04 AM

Originally posted by Eug:
9.4 GB discs are double-sided not dual-layered. ie. You have to flip the disc over to burn the other side.

Each layer of dual-layer discs are stamped, then the two layers are glued together. They are not "burned" like with home DVD burners.

There is no such thing as a dual-layer single-sided DVD-R or a dual-layer double-sided DVD-R.

There are only single-layer single-sided DVD-Rs and single-layer double-sided DVD-Rs.

Ok then, how was it possible that the DVD I had was 7.3 GB?

Eug
Clinically Insane
Jan 31, 2003, 01:07 AM

Originally posted by ivi:
Ok then, how was it possible that the DVD I had was 7.3 GB?
It's a commercial stamped and glued together dual-layer disc. See above.

ivi  (op)
Forum Regular
Jan 31, 2003, 01:31 AM

It's a commercial stamped and glued together dual-layer disc. See above.
ok, thanx for explanation.

Zemrec
May 22, 2004, 11:10 AM

I know this thread is quite old now, but this has been nagging at me. Why are my DVD-RW discs, that are labeled 4.7 GB actually only have a capacity of 4.4 GB or so?

I know its because the damned disc manufacturers are stingy and decided that they should use the metric meanings of Kilo, Mega, Giga, etc. (1000, 1,000,000, 1,000,000,000), instead of the computer use of powers of 1024 (1024, 1048576, 1073741824).

But WHY the change with DVD-R(W)'s???? If you buy a 700 MB CD-R, guess what? YOU CAN BURN 700 MB!! Thats not 700,000,000 bytes, thats 734,003,200 bytes! In fact, most 700 MB CD-Rs I've used are actually 702 MB discs!

So what gives with DVD-R(W)'s????

dracoleb
Dedicated MacNNer
May 22, 2004, 12:56 PM

actually sony is coming out with some dual layer burners soon, as are almost all of the other manufacturers, because not of then are out yet it is not possible to buy dual layer media. It is also possible, as I have posted here before, to flash one model of NEC burner to become a dual layer recorder, even-though now it is being sold as a single layer burner.
"To create a new standard takes something that's not just a little bit different. It takes something that's really new and captures people's imaginations. Macintosh meets that standard"- Bill Gates

Forum Links
Forum Rules