Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Spill + Safeware = Hmm...

Spill + Safeware = Hmm...
tavilach
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 04:13 AM

I spilled iced tea on my PowerBook a few months ago, and recently sent it to a Safeware affiliate to have the internals checked for damage, and the sticky keys repaired.

I got it back, and it seemed great...well, except for the two pink marks on the keyboard and the wrong (and broken) power adaptor.

...but after a few hours, I noticed the stickiness of the keys once again. When the laptop is left unused for a while, it seems that the moistness of the air temporarily gets rid of the stickiness. Perhaps they didn't notice the stickiness, either...but that's not my fault. I wrote a one page summary of everything that was wrong with the computer, and they should have examined it fully.

In any case, they say that they completely cleaned my system "inside and out."

The most frustrating thing is that I've been without my computer for three weeks so that it could be repaired, and for what?

The stickiness of the keys is more than just cosmetic. Typing is loud enough to be quite annoying, and the keys do lock up occasionally and are a bit harder to press.

I paid for laptop insurance, and it specifically covers spills. I'm going to try to get them to replace my PowerBook with a new one, because they already cleaned my system, and it seems that there'd be nothing more they can do. And I don't want a sticky computer. I'm allowed to be picky when I'm paying for the insurance, and after I've waited three weeks for my laptop to be fixed!

Do you think I have any chance of getting them to replace it? My dad is a social worker, and has been successful in the art of persuasion for decades. I'm going to set him on Safeware like a rapid dog, and just hope that I get what I want.

One thing's almost certain: I ain't sending it back for another three week "repair" job.

I'd just like your opinions on the situation .
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

irus
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 06:48 AM

What they should've done is replaced the keyboard... Doubt you'll have any luck replacing the entire computer. Would your insurance replace your car if you scratch the bumper? I think not.

macxtal
Jun 22, 2005, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by irus
What they should've done is replaced the keyboard... Doubt you'll have any luck replacing the entire computer. Would your insurance replace your car if you scratch the bumper? I think not.
You can replace your keyboard yourself. You need a few special tools but most of the powerbook places can sell you what's required. It is a bit of a PITA but doable.

Boo hiss on apple for making the keyboard so hard to replace, btw.

tavilach  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 22, 2005, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by irus
I know that, but it's their fault that they didn't do that. They neglected to perform the proper service, and I refuse to (and shouldn't have to) send it back in for another three weeks.

Either they agree to send it back within one business day, or just give me money for a new one. I think my argument is valid. I'd appreciate more comments, though.
"Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world." -Archimedes

irus
Forum Regular
Jun 22, 2005, 06:05 PM

Originally Posted by tavilach
I know that, but it's their fault that they didn't do that. They neglected to perform the proper service, and I refuse to (and shouldn't have to) send it back in for another three weeks.

Either they agree to send it back within one business day, or just give me money for a new one. I think my argument is valid. I'd appreciate more comments, though.
I'm not a Safeware advocate, but like any business, Safeware does what they do to make profit. And I seriously doubt they would buy you a new computer since your computer is "sticky". Perhaps if it was stolen or damaged beyond practical repair, but that's about it... I would recommend reading the actual contract and seeing what your rights are (repair, replacement, duration of service, etc) instead of complaining that your computer is "sticky". Could be something as simple as misunderstanding between you and the agent who filed your claim.

Forum Links
Forum Rules