Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Advise for back-ups and maintaining several machines

Advise for back-ups and maintaining several machines
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 2, 2008, 07:01 PM

Hi

I run several MBPs at work and have just got three new iMacs. I've decide its time to use a proper back-up/restore strategy. All the machines will have the same software and user accounts (Me, Staff (both admin) then one for students).

I've had my eye on Superduper for my own use. Could I simply clone one machine (with all software installed, etc) to an external drive, use this to set-up the other machines (in Target mode) then hang-on to the drive to restore from if needs be?

Any better suggestions/solutions? I'd like to keep it as simple as possible - I guess I just need to be able to do a fresh install of OS, Apps and settings if needs be.

Thanks

jmiddel
Grizzled Veteran
Apr 2, 2008, 10:44 PM

You can use Superduper, or CarbonCopyCloner (free) to do what you want in terms of getting the new machines running. In terms of general backup, though, you would need a large backup HD to backup all the different users. You might have to partition this drive with a general partition with OS and apps, and separate ones for each user. SupDup allows you to back up just the user files, so each machine would just backup the changes of each user, not the rest of the stuff. Use the Smart Update option, which just copies files that have been modified, much faster and less wear and tear on the drive. I take it that you're networked, so drive size can be achieved by multiple ones, SupDup should be able to recognize any networked volume. Since the OS+app part is so small, relatively, I'd back it up to each BU HDs

Disclosure: my only relationship with the SupDup company is that of a satisfied, paying customer.

frdmfghtr
Senior User
Apr 2, 2008, 11:27 PM

Why not use Time Machine?

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Apr 3, 2008, 01:35 AM

Time Machine, hands down.

-t

Simon
Posting Junkie
Apr 3, 2008, 03:31 AM

There's no need for extra tools like Superduper or CCC when it all comes right with the OS: Disk Utility's Software Restore and/or Time Machine.

[Mods, could somebody please fix the thread title?]
( Last edited by Simon; Apr 3, 2008 at 04:34 AM. )

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Apr 3, 2008, 08:57 AM

I should have mentioned that the machines won't be networked. They are spread out over various sites/projects. If I transfer apps and user info from the 'master' machine to others, will I run into issues with licences and other settings?

Forum Links
Forum Rules