Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Mac Pro Quad 2,66 - two weak points

Mac Pro Quad 2,66 - two weak points
Mac Hammer Fan
Forum Regular
Aug 15, 2009, 04:09 PM

I bought a Quad 2,66 Nehalem and I am happy with the speed.
But there are two flaws:
1) the sound of the built-in speaker is bad: no bass. It's inferior to all my other Macs. Is it so with the other Mac Pro's too?
2) there is a constant hum. The Mac Pro isn't silent. I don't know whether it is the fan from the video card (Geforce) or because I installed 3 hard disks. The Mac Pro is noisier than my old G5 Dual 1,8.
Is this normal?
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 15, 2009, 06:49 PM

The built-in speaker never sounds good...just adequate for simple sounds, alerts, etc. My MacPro (1st Gen w/ nVidia 8800 and one internal HDD) is nearly silent. I'd guess yours is louder from the additional HDDs and video card. Run a program to show the speed of the fans and the internal temperature and you'll probably have a better picture of the cause. iStat is a good (free) program. I personally use the iStat Menus version...

If you find your temps aren't too high yet the fans are spinning too fast, try SMCFanControl to lower the fan speed a bit, but I'd caution against doing much with that.

Leonard
Professional Poster
Aug 16, 2009, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post
I bought a Quad 2,66 Nehalem and I am happy with the speed.
But there are two flaws:
1) the sound of the built-in speaker is bad: no bass. It's inferior to all my other Macs. Is it so with the other Mac Pro's too?
There's these things called external speakers... they work great.
Mac Pro Dual 3.0 Dual-Core
MacBook Pro

tooki
Admin Emeritus
Aug 16, 2009, 04:53 AM

There are two kinds of Mac Pro users: the ones who care about sound (everyone but graphic designers), and the ones who don't (graphic designers).

The latter don't really need speakers except for beeps, which the built in speaker is fine for.

For everyone else, that's why there's analog and digital output, since you want the speakers on your desk, not on the floor.

bearcatrp
Senior User
Aug 16, 2009, 05:41 PM

Pick up a pair of bose speakers. They sound awesome. Like tooki said, some folks don't need good sound, some do. If you need good sound, time to buy some.
2010 Mac Mini, 32GB iPod Touch, 2 Apple TV (1)
Home built 12 core 2.93 Westmere PC (almost half the cost of MP) Win7 64.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Aug 16, 2009, 06:36 PM

Tower Macs have very weak speakers. That's a known. The G5s speakers were really weak. You need externals.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 17, 2009, 02:40 AM

Sure, but even so my MDD internal speaker is heaps better than my Mac Pro's. Even for Text to Speech alone, such an expensive computer deserves a better internal speaker.

Mac Hammer Fan  (op)
Forum Regular
Aug 17, 2009, 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
Tower Macs have very weak speakers. That's a known. The G5s speakers were really weak. You need externals.
The internal speaker of my G5 Dual 1.8 is definitely much better!
MacPro SixCore 3.33 Westmere - MacBook SR 2.2 Ghz - PowerMac Dual G5 2.3
Besides Macs, I love Gothic Horror Films

SierraDragon
Mac Elite
Aug 17, 2009, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Mac Hammer Fan View Post
...there is a constant hum. The Mac Pro isn't silent. I don't know whether it is the fan from the video card (Geforce) or because I installed 3 hard disks. The Mac Pro is noisier than my old G5 Dual 1,8.
Is this normal?
NO! Mac Pros are relatively very silent towers. If the noise is not one of the hard drives you installed return the MP immediately for repair. If it is a hard drive, replace it. It is true that we graphics users often do not care much about built-in speaker quality, but we often hate noise...

Towers and their built-in speakers usually are placed in acoustically inappropriate locations anyway, buy external speakers.

-Allen Wicks
( Last edited by SierraDragon; Aug 17, 2009 at 02:03 PM. )

rozwado1
Mac Elite
Aug 18, 2009, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
Pick up a pair of bose speakers. They sound awesome. Like tooki said, some folks don't need good sound, some do. If you need good sound, time to buy some.
Bad plan. Don't waste your $ on BOSE. Paradigm?

cgc
Professional Poster
Aug 21, 2009, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
Sure, but even so my MDD internal speaker is heaps better than my Mac Pro's. Even for Text to Speech alone, such an expensive computer deserves a better internal speaker.
Really? I can see putting a better speaker in a consumer Mac but not in the MacPro.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2009, 03:49 PM

The only time i ever hear the internal tower speaker is the initial power up sound then my audio interface takes over as the cpu boots up.... I understand what you are saying but then again i have never heard of anyone that would buy a top of the line tower and not use externals. Even my G5 has monitors (studio speakers).

Even our graphic designers use external speakers as we usually are working with audio as well as video.

Umm, i don't really ever see the reason to not have either monitors or just externals with a tower... Don't you like to hear sweet musics while you design or do whatever it is you do? iTunes... i love you.

Ok, recap... there is no reason for my post to really exist other than to basically say, "When spending thousands on a tower its always nice to have a pair of really nice speakers or monitors so you can hear the really bad you tube audio . Sarcasm abounds.

p
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Aug 29, 2009, 05:26 PM

I understand. You don't buy such an expensive computer to then rely on the tiny internal speaker.

Actually, my Mac Pro speaker sound level is set to mute most of the time, but when I download a movie trailer from Apple's website, it does sound terrible, needless to say I am not going to buy some expensive speakers just for that and headphones has always been uncomfortable for me.

I had bought the first harman/kardon SoundSticks back in the day and ended selling them to a friend cause I didn't really use them. Maybe my Mac Pro's internal speaker is the lowest on the totem pole, cause any gameboy iteration I have had, did sound leaps better.

sadpandas
Forum Regular
Aug 29, 2009, 05:53 PM

You just got that Arabian style Tetris song in my head!!!! . I miss my gameboy, i have a psp that i never use and only got it to test UMD design out... I can't believe some studios are still putting those out. oh well any kind of design work is good design work... These days that is .

P
*Dual 2.8 quad core Mac Pro, 512 8800 GT, 1tb boot, 500gb audio, 340gb video, 6gb ram
*15"pb*1.67*128vm*100hd*2g ram*
*PMac*Dual 2.0GHz* 4g ram*
*3.0 p4 630* gigabyte848p775* radeon X800 Pro 256* 2g ram*

drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 2, 2009, 07:09 PM

Originally Posted by angelmb View Post
The thin sound is down to the case design - largely 'open' at the front and rear. The older tower designs allowed the case to act as a crude speaker enclosure.

angelmb
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 3, 2009, 02:46 AM

Thanks for pointing that out.

Forum Links
Forum Rules