Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Why is it....

Why is it....
bishopazrael
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009, 01:09 PM

Ok so I've always had the ability in Safari to just type in the domain name like lifehacker, macworld, etc... of any webpage and it would just go to that page. Safari would add on the www. xxx .com Now it's not doing that. Instead I get the roadrunner search page?

I just put in a new belkin n+ router. Is that the cause?
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2009, 01:13 PM

It was probably your DNS modifying the address in the way you like, and I know it's annoying at times that servers don't seem to do it anymore. There may be some way to modify things on the Unix layer to have OS X do that automatically, but if there is it sounds complicated.

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

Simon
Posting Junkie
Dec 7, 2009, 01:15 PM

It's the DNS settings. Probably related to installing a new router.

To get back the old behavior on your Mac set the DNS server to Google's.
Sys Prefs > Network > Airport > Advanced > DNS
Enter 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

If you like what you get you can probably also configure the router to use those DNS IPs and then every client will use them automatically.

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 7, 2009, 02:53 PM

Wow. Thanks guys. I thought for a minute that safari had quit automatically parsing things you typed into the address bar. I'll try this in a bit.
Backups are like guns and condoms. It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Chuckit
Clinically Insane
Dec 7, 2009, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It was probably your DNS modifying the address in the way you like, and I know it's annoying at times that servers don't seem to do it anymore. There may be some way to modify things on the Unix layer to have OS X do that automatically, but if there is it sounds complicated.
No, Safari adds the www. and .com when whatever is typed in the address bar can't be resolved. It's Roadrunner messing it up by not running a conforming DNS server.
Chuck
___
"Instead of either 'multi-talented' or 'multitalented' use 'bisexual'."

ghporter
Administrator
Dec 17, 2009, 10:54 PM

You can use OpenDNS and never worry about your ISP's DNS servers being up to date, slow, or just plain a pain. Works great.
( Last edited by ghporter; Dec 18, 2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Removed welcome for a spammer...)

Glenn -----OTR/L, MOT, Tx

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 17, 2009, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by ghporter View Post
You can use OpenDNS and never worry about your ISP's DNS servers being up to date, slow, or just plain a pain. Works great.
Google's DNS does the same.

Also, if you don't mind doing a *bit* more work, there is a sweet application called namebench that will find the fastest DNS for you. It's best if you can apply these settings to your router. At home, I found that using Qwest's local DNS servers were faster than either Google's DNS and OpenDNS.
( Last edited by ghporter; Dec 18, 2009 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Removed quoted welcome to spammer.)

bishopazrael  (op)
Mac Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2009, 01:43 PM

Thank you Mitchell for the namebench ... Putting it to good use now on all my systems.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Dec 18, 2009, 07:03 PM

Does Cmd+Enter add www. and .com in Safari? I know it works in Firefox...
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

imitchellg5
Posting Junkie
Dec 18, 2009, 07:09 PM

No, that opens the address that you typed in a new window or tab.

Thinine
Mac Elite
Dec 19, 2009, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Google's DNS does the same.

Also, if you don't mind doing a *bit* more work, there is a sweet application called namebench that will find the fastest DNS for you. It's best if you can apply these settings to your router. At home, I found that using Qwest's local DNS servers were faster than either Google's DNS and OpenDNS.
I've always found OpenDNS to be the fastest from my location, for the Alexa 10000 run anyway. And speed is only one part. Reliability and other features make it much more worthwhile than a few milliseconds response time.

turtle777
Clinically Insane
Dec 20, 2009, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by imitchellg5 View Post
Also, if you don't mind doing a *bit* more work, there is a sweet application called namebench that will find the fastest DNS for you.
Awesome

Thanks for the link.

-t

Forum Links
Forum Rules