Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Community > MacNN Lounge > Political/War Lounge > Government outlays rising at slowest pace since 1950s

Government outlays rising at slowest pace since 1950s
hyteckit
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 11:47 PM

The biggest deficit spenders are obviously Republicans like Pres. Reagan and Pres. Bush II.

Government spending has risen the slowest under Pres. Obama than any other president since the 1950s.

Obama spending binge never happened - MarketWatch

Bush Tax Cuts == Job Killer
June 2001: 132,047,000 employed
June 2003: 129,839,000 employed
2.21 million jobs were LOST after 2 years of Bush Tax Cuts.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 30, 2012, 11:59 PM

This is a few days old and I think it's already been debunked. Trick 1 was awarding most of Obama's first year spending to Bush. Trick 2 was representing total spending by plotting the growth. As I saw someone comment elsewhere, suppose President A spends wildly. If President B takes over and not only continues the wild spending but increases it (even by a small amount) can you really say that he's cut spending? Of course not.

Wouldn't a picture like this better represent the truth?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:USDebt.png

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by chabig View Post
This is a few days old and I think it's already been debunked. Trick 1 was awarding most of Obama's first year spending to Bush. Trick 2 was representing total spending by plotting the growth. As I saw someone comment elsewhere, suppose President A spends wildly. If President B takes over and not only continues the wild spending but increases it (even by a small amount) can you really say that he's cut spending? Of course not.
Pres. Bush pass the 2009 budget in Oct. 2008. You do know that right?

You see the little blue part in the 2009 budget? That's what Pres. Obama added to Pres. Bush 2009 budget.

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 12:09 AM

Obama is responsible for much more than little blue part. Do you really think Obama came into office and just accepted Bush's budget for the entire year?

reader50
Administrator
May 31, 2012, 01:06 AM

I wasn't aware Presidents spent at all - Congress passes all budgets.

hmm ... perhaps he does do the actual purchases. I haven't seen him myself in any stores. That would be one impressive CC to whip out, with a credit limit in the 100s of Billions.

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
May 31, 2012, 01:23 AM

Obama is responsible for much more than little blue part. Do you really think Obama came into office and just accepted Bush's budget for the entire year?
Can a new president simply cancel out the budget for that year that had been passed through Congress by the previous president? It seems to me that would be no small matter.

P
May 31, 2012, 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
That would be one impressive CC to whip out, with a credit limit in the 100s of Billions.
He should get one with frequent flyer miles, so he can retire the Air Force One.
The new Mac Pro has up to 30 MB of cache inside the processor itself. That's more than the HD in my first Mac. Somehow I'm still running out of space.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2012, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by Wiskedjak View Post
Can a new president simply cancel out the budget for that year that had been passed through Congress by the previous president? It seems to me that would be no small matter.
Well, it hadn't been signed yet, he could have just said, "Ya know, I don't like this. I'm just gonna veto it and we can take another run at it. What ya say?"

If I didn't agree with something that important there wouldn't be any way in hell I'd put my name on it.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

The Final Dakar
Games Meister
May 31, 2012, 09:06 AM

Is there some kind of Pro-Obama full court press going on I should be aware about?

Big Mac
Clinically Insane
May 31, 2012, 09:24 AM

It isn't too hard to show a slowed pace of spending increases when you massively ballooned the budget in previous years.

I'm also assuming this kind of stat covers just discretionary spending. Right or wrong?

"The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground." TJ

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
May 31, 2012, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Big Mac View Post
It isn't too hard to show a slowed pace of spending increases when you massively ballooned the budget in previous years.

I'm also assuming this kind of stat covers just discretionary spending. Right or wrong?
You can't figure that out just by looking at the amounts in the bar graph?

ebuddy
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2012, 09:41 AM

As long as you attribute most of the Obama spending to Bush (only 2 of 12 appropriations bills for FY2009 were signed by Bush), you can make the numbers sing whatever dishonest tune you want them to. Maybe our next President will push the Senate a little harder to produce a budget on time... or at least produce one at all.
ebuddy

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
Jun 3, 2012, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by reader50 View Post
That would be one impressive CC to whip out, with a credit limit in the 100s of Billions.
Bush probably lost it. Maybe left it at a pretzel stand or something. With the pin number was written on the back in Sharpie.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

hyteckit  (op)
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 5, 2012, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
As long as you attribute most of the Obama spending to Bush (only 2 of 12 appropriations bills for FY2009 were signed by Bush), you can make the numbers sing whatever dishonest tune you want them to. Maybe our next President will push the Senate a little harder to produce a budget on time... or at least produce one at all.
So you are still ignoring the fact that spending went down in 2010 and spending in 2011 and 2012 isn't much different than 2009?

Still doesn't change the fact that Pres. Bush and Pres. Reagan increase spending greatly and were big deficit spenders.

How do you think Pres. Reagan tripled the national debt?

besson3c
Clinically Insane
Jun 5, 2012, 09:14 PM

hyteckit: shouldn't your line of questioning start from the premise that ebuddy and the others think that Reagan, by today's standards, was some model of spending restraint?

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 7, 2012, 09:34 PM

I like this chart that sums up what happened over the last decade

In '01, The U.S. Budget Picture Was Rosy. What Happened? : Planet Money : NPR

Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Wiskedjak
Posting Junkie
Jun 7, 2012, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by ebuddy View Post
So, Obama is a clear example of the stereotypical big spending liberal because he didn't undo the 2009 budget set in motion by the previous conservative president?

subego
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2012, 09:58 PM

I thought Bush was a liberal.

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 7, 2012, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
Negative, just an idiot.
"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
- Thomas Paine

chabig
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2012, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shaddim View Post
Negative, just an idiot.
...according to a liberal.

Athens
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 8, 2012, 04:43 AM

Originally Posted by subego View Post
A War Criminal
Blandine Bureau 1940 - 2011
Missed 2012 by 3 days, RIP Grandma :-(

Shaddim
Clinically Insane
Jun 8, 2012, 06:23 AM

...according to a liberal.
I'm liberal? Really? I'm so fiscally conservative I make Ron Paul look like a commie.

Bush was/is an idiot, no sense in trying to defend the man.
- Thomas Paine

Forum Links
Forum Rules