Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Software - Troubleshooting and Discussion > macOS > Should I give up on this Macbook and visit Apple Store...?

Should I give up on this Macbook and visit Apple Store...?
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2013, 11:50 AM

I keep thinking I've finally found a fix for my girlfriend's Macbook, then another curveball comes my way.

It started with a suspected dying/dead drive. I replaced the drive and successfully installed M/Lion from a USB stick. The machine worked for a couple of days, then started flaking out again. It seemed to be consistent with other user's issues with 'faulty' M/Lion installation...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

I decided to start back from S/Leopard (original Macbook OS) and ordered disc. I tried to boot from this disc, but got 'three beeps' fault. I know this is associated with bad RAM, but it also seems to be linked online to issues booting from disc. I can successfully boot using internet recovery. I've tried swapping out both RAM modules, reseating, etc.

I was able to boot from the disc on my own Mac, so attempted an installation using target disc mode. I then faced the 'can't unmount disc' error when trying to reformat the Macbook drive.

Does any of this ring bells with anyone? Any tips? With so many issues happening concurrently, I'm wondering if there is a major fault (eg. logic board).

Many thanks

Mike Wuerthele
Managing Editor
Sep 15, 2013, 12:13 PM

My inclination is a Northbridge or SATA controller failure on the motherboard, but that's not user replaceable. Time to head to the Applestore, I think.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2013, 12:49 PM

I would definitely take it to the Apple Store for a diagnostic. I can't remember if they charge now (at least in the US, dunno about the UK) for running hardware diagnostic tests - I don't THINK they do, but don't hold me to that.

If they charge and you can't afford it, what you need is something called "Apple Service Diagnostic", or ASD, for your specific MacBook model. It will run through a complete list of hardware tests and let you know if any hardware is actually failing. It might be a problem with just the SATA cable, which is super easy to replace. If it's the logic board, you're probably better off just upgrading to a new machine.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
Sep 15, 2013, 05:19 PM

Thanks for responses. Are ASD tools generally available to public? The only links I could see were for torrents...

An Apple store visit is probably due. Fingers crossed for SATA issue, rather than l/board.

shifuimam
Addicted to MacNN
Sep 15, 2013, 09:10 PM

They are not officially publicly available. That being said, they are extremely valuable and can save you the trouble of taking the machine to an Apple Store, waiting for someone to look at it, checking it in, and possibly being without the machine for at least a night.
Sell or send me your vintage Mac things if you don't want them.

Forum Links
Forum Rules