Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Resetting Macbook - stuck in Russian language

Resetting Macbook - stuck in Russian language
drissa
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2016, 01:23 PM

I've bought used Macbook. I want a clean installation of the OS, so I reset. It has now defaulted back to Russian, so I'm unable to do anything, even follow simple commands!

Does anyone have any advice?

Also, does this indicate it was purchased in Russia (a dumb question perhaps)? The seller listed it as a 'UK Macbook', so I can return/moan.

Thanks

reader50
Administrator
May 26, 2016, 02:19 PM

Click on the System Prefs icon in the dock (the gears icon). Or choose System Prefs in the Apple menu - it's usually the 2nd choice down.

In Sys Prefs, choose the Language & Region (used to be called International) icon - it's a blue UN flag icon.

Preferred Language is selected in the left-hand pane. If English isn't shown, click the [+] box below and find English.

-----------

If for some reason the English localizations isn't included in your installs, you can always stop by an Apple Store and do a fresh OS install. Any local Mac nerd or service provider should be able to give you an OS install as well.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2016, 02:55 PM

I couldn't even get that far - I was at the initial installation screen ('welcome to Mac' thing). But it was all in Russian, with no language options.

I managed to guess-click my way through and get the machine set-up/language changed, but even that doesn't seem to change everything. For example, the colour tags in Finder are still labelled in Russian and needed changing manually.

Weird...

Spheric Harlot
Clinically Insane
May 26, 2016, 04:02 PM

The machine is blank, you have no data on there, right?

Reinstall the OS from scratch by restarting and holding down Command (Apple key) and R for recovery mode.

drissa  (op)
Dedicated MacNNer
May 26, 2016, 04:32 PM

Interestingly, that was the thing that triggered it. I did command-R, erased the boot drive and then reinstalled over wifi. Following that, the machine 'transformed into Russian'.

Anyhow, I've managed to get it sorted for now. But I'm just concerned there might be some more Russian buried in there to confuse my sister (receiving the MacBook as a present).

Thanks for input.

Waragainstsleep
Posting Junkie
May 29, 2016, 11:12 AM

It it was a Russian unit, it would have a Cyrillic keyboard.
I have plenty of more important things to do, if only I could bring myself to do them....

Forum Links
Forum Rules