Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Defending your mac

View Poll Results: Do you feel like you have to defend macs and their prices?
Poll Options:
Yes, b/c I think they're the best consumer computers on the market and everyone should use them. 6 votes (16.22%)
Yes, b/c I don't like being discriminated against when I tell people what computer I use and they go "ewww, you use a mac?" 13 votes (35.14%)
No, I don't really care. PC users can go screw themselves. 17 votes (45.95%)
Uhhh..I feel like I should defend them but I don't want to look crazy. 1 votes (2.70%)
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll
Defending your mac
kentuckyfried
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 04:13 PM

Just curious...
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

entrox
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 05:09 PM

Defend? I'm grinning from ear to ear when I sit amongst my Linux-using brethren at Uni with my 12"PB. Why? Because *most* of them use sucky Aqua skins to mask the hideousness of their StinkPads and I can just *feel* their looks

slider
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 05:41 PM

Awesome, usally I complain about these polls b/c the options are loaded, to say yes to one thing yet not really want to say yes to the tacked on bit. But, the option "No, I really don't care. PC users can screw themselves" is perfect. Exactly how I feel. I just shrug my shoulders with some blow off remark. I always think it's funny how when it comes to sharing files or producing some work for school I always come out shinning. Their PC's can do it, but it's always so complicated and most of the time you run it having to deal with the computer ie: reinstall driver, unable to locate, yada yada.

:XI:
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 06:11 PM

I've only ever had to 'defend' the mac once.

I guy I used to work with asked me what kind of computer I had, when I told him I had a Mac, he said: "Aren't macs crap?" My reply? "There's not a lot of games for it, but that's what I bought a playstation for. My mac does everything I want. I don't have to worry about it crashing down around me when I try to do simple things." Did I get any argument? No. "Fair enough" was all he said.

So, do I defend the Mac? Only against idiots. Most people aren't bothered. Yes, 'most people' includes 'most Windows/Linux/BSD/Solaris/Irix/BeOS users).

Do I need to justify my purchase? Nope.

kentuckyfried  (op)
Senior User
Jun 25, 2003, 07:11 PM

I was wondering what kind of reactions you guys were getting. Fastest in the world or not, it feels a little comforting that things seem to be looking up for Apple again.

A couple of weeks ago, I was at a birthday dinner, and during a discussion, it came out that I was a proud mac owner:

"you use a mac?!" the woman said with this incredulous, disgusted look.

"I LOVE IT"

"What about compatibility? It's like a toy...."

"You don't know what you're missing...I don't personally do any coding, but I hear the mac is a great platform for doing java development, like the stuff you do for work...have you ever used one?"

"No"

"Well...don't bag on it until you've tried it first"

I used to feel like I had to convince people that it's worth the money, but I'm tired of doing that. Most people go with the "cheap as possible" herd mentality. Trying to convince otherwise just makes you look crazy. If other people want to buy and use crappy machines, let them.
Now I know, and knowing is half the battle!

rezzi
Jun 25, 2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by :XI::
I've only ever had to 'defend' the mac once.

I guy I used to work with asked me what kind of computer I had, when I told him I had a Mac, he said: "Aren't macs crap?" My reply? "There's not a lot of games for it, but that's what I bought a playstation for. My mac does everything I want. I don't have to worry about it crashing down around me when I try to do simple things." Did I get any argument? No. "Fair enough" was all he said.

So, do I defend the Mac? Only against idiots. Most people aren't bothered. Yes, 'most people' includes 'most Windows/Linux/BSD/Solaris/Irix/BeOS users).

Do I need to justify my purchase? Nope.
Tooo-shay!

Mac Zealot
Professional Poster
Jun 25, 2003, 07:21 PM

only when i hear the words "mac sux"... and sometimes I just agree for the heck of it.

Why not? I don't really care because I send up + down stuff every day and have a bunch of PCs :shrug:

It's when they bash macs and start talking about how great windows xp is that i get mad
In a realm beyond site, the sky shines gold, not blue, there the Triforce's might makes mortal dreams come true.

goose
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 08:24 PM

Well not so much as to "defend" the Mac, but more so to promote it. However, I can't go for the prices of the PowerMac. I do wish they were cheaper (not going for the iMac/eMac).

There's never enough when you have too little

Forum Links
Forum Rules