Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Desktops > Yes/No Poll on the look of the new G5

View Poll Results: Do you like the new look of the G5 PowerMac.
Poll Options:
Yes 197 votes (84.19%)
No 37 votes (15.81%)
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll
Yes/No Poll on the look of the new G5
slider
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 12:22 PM

I like the look, but did see many did not like the look. A simple yes/no poll.

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 12:26 PM

Just wanted to mention that I decided I like the look after looking at some of the pictures of the machice set up on display at, I think, Spymac. It looks at lot better in a real setting.

ryarber
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 02:59 PM

Originally posted by slider:
I like the look, but did see many did not like the look. A simple yes/no poll.
I thought the flat panel iMac was ugly until I actually saw one in person. Like many of apple's products, the pics usually don't do them justice. I suspect I'll like them just fine.

dannyillusion
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 03:59 PM

This is freakin art deco!!!
So cool...
eeeh... iDeco?
Seriously, this makes my Cube look over designed...
DI

bradoesch
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by ryarber:
I thought the flat panel iMac was ugly until I actually saw one in person. Like many of apple's products, the pics usually don't do them justice. I suspect I'll like them just fine.
Agreed. I was the same way with the iMac, and I'll likely be the same way with the G5. I think Apple learned a thing or two after the flowerpower/blue dalmation experience.

Conscript
Jun 24, 2003, 04:20 PM

The inside is freakin unbleievable, but I'm not really a big fan of the fron face. I'm glad they moved away from the plastic front, but the aluminum mesh is just not doing it for me.

tanhauser
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 24, 2003, 04:24 PM

I'm sold... minimalist, simple, useful, sexy, clean look. I love it.

F

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 05:05 PM

You know you're right, the inside does look really really cool. How long do you think it will take for someone to make a really cool side panel made of clear or Apple logo etched quality plastic replacement for the removeable side panal? What a show piece. Seems like an easy enough thing to do, you could probably replace it with a thick piece of glass yourself. Hmm.

PowerCube
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 05:19 PM

Drool....I think I wanna sell my Cube now.
Somewhere out there is my sanity..... but I'm not looking for it!

zigzag
Addicted to MacNN
Jun 24, 2003, 05:22 PM

I dig it. I was never crazy about the looks of the G4 tower. This is much more in line with the server and the Powerbook - clean, elegant, machine-like.

My only concern is with dents. You accidentally kick one of these, and it's dented forever.

I can't wait to see what they have in store for the consumer line, although I expect that they'll continue to use a softer touch there.

Lateralus
Moderator Emeritus
Jun 24, 2003, 05:28 PM

I like it as well. It has a very professional and simple look, which is a welcome change from the MDD towers.

The thing that has traditionally been the reason that old Apple products look good in the eyes of people for years after being released has been that fact that Apple didnt go for 'sleek' when designing them. Specifically, I am referring to the beige age. The definition of sleek changes with the generations. I am pretty sure that in 5-10 years, people will consider the MDD and QS G4s ugly, but consider the professional simpleness of the G5 to still look good.
I like chicken
I like liver
Meow Mix, Meow Mix
Please de-liv-er

ASIMO
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 05:34 PM

What's not to like? Art deco in the computer industry - no one else comes close.

Beautiful, functional, and environmentally-friendly. Remember to recycle these babies.
I, ASIMO.

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 24, 2003, 06:01 PM

Its a perfect evolution of the towers. Like dannyillusion said: Makes the cube, [and every other desktop IMHO] look overdesigned. Minimal, functional, beautiful. the mesh is perfect because it allows for better airflow, and thus a quieter machine. If the mesh were just arbitrarily thrown in there, I might take issue with it.

Its the same thing with the handles on the previous tower cases. They would be weird if they weren't so dang useful.

terrancew_hod
Forum Regular
Jun 24, 2003, 06:10 PM

I'm not feeling the look at all; and they took away another CD-ROM bay. Not truly the direction you want to go if you're gonna market it as a high class workstation. The cooling system sounds pretty good though.

I'll save my money for the 970 laptop when that comes available; if I'm going to have a lot of cables and expansion devices hanging off the back of it, at least I can unplug it and take it with me...

Terrance

rcpmac
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 06:37 PM

This couldn't be true but here it goes.
A Sprint-car racer Steve Osborne did some custom auto work for Steve Jobs. Osborne happens to be a Macintosh fan and at some point when Steve Jobs came by to inspect or pick up his car, Osborne invited Jobs to see his dual chip Franken Mac. The custom case was a simple takeoff of the G4 plastics with a plain screened front. Steve Jobs was so impressed he arranged to have the unit brought to Apple HQ for a design review. The design of this custom unit is said to be almost exactly the same design of the new G5

daniel999
Jun 24, 2003, 07:16 PM

Muji feel
Simpology

like it!
Got a 12" Powerbook ^__^

AssassyN
Professional Poster
Jun 24, 2003, 08:13 PM

At first glance, I didn't like it.

However, after seeing several actual photos of it setup at the WWDC, I think I dig it...plus, as stated, things *always* look better in person.
5G 60GB video iPod
512MB iPod Shuffle
Westone UM1 Canalphones

GlobalNomad
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 08:36 PM

When you look in the inside of the New G5 it remindes me of IBM servers. IBM servers do not have alot of cables running around. When you looked at the fans they look just like the fans in the g5. I think Apple had a little talk with the good people down at IBM.

This is great news!
Look inside the case no stuiped cables running everywere.

One word Beautiful.
I am also very happy they kept the 'lan handles'.

I also think it is cool to be able to see threw the holes. This is going to keep people intertaned for hours on end. 'YOu mean that is the fan'.

I am very glade they kept the door, or a way to easily open it up.

I just wish I had some $$$ but being a colloedge student I don't have any money.

I am also confused when people get upset that it doesn't have more than two Hard drive bays.
If you need more than 500 Gb you need to get a RAID server or something .

vsurfer
Senior User
Jun 24, 2003, 10:47 PM

Like it. Much.

---------------
So now what's an "IBM compatible Personal Computer?"

jukepiss
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jun 24, 2003, 10:53 PM

I think the G5's look ugly. Maybe I'll have a different opinion when I see one in person. They look way better on Apple's website than in the pictures I've seen on the web. They look like big ole cheese graters. They also look too generic for something that I would spend $2000+ for.

Gamoe
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 07:38 AM

I think it's an interesting, practical design. It does give off a sense of being powerful, but ascetically it seems to be missing something. Too plain and boxy. It looks more imposing than friendly.

However, I will reserve my final judgment for when I get to see one in person. And, of course, in the end, one does not buy a new Power Mac for looks.

tonewheel
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 09:23 AM

Blah. Am I looking at the front or the back, or...no, it's the back. Wait, the front...with ports, no, the back?

GORDYmac
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 09:43 AM

It's winning me over. I did hate it. Like, I thought the G4/B&W G3's design was so good because of the fold out design and being able to access everything easily. Has that changed now? Is that no longer a good thing? Also, I thought the MDD move was a step in the right direction, but, now we're back to one optical drive? Not even an option of adding one?

I voted "Yes", but I'm still iffy about the whole thing.

silverlode
Forum Regular
Jun 25, 2003, 10:27 AM

I was surprised to compare the dimensions of the G5 to the G4 and see that it's actually quite a bit larger. The G5 is 3 inches TALLER than the G4.

That kinda bums me out. Makes it seem less like a hot rod and more like a semi.
calibrated in-phase cylindrical chamber technician

neilw
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 11:56 AM

I'm liking it a lot. Sleek, minimalist, practical.

The inside is a marvel; this thing appears to be built more like industrial-grade equipment than a typical PC (actually it looks a lot nicer than a lot of industrial-grade stuff I've seen, by a longshot). This is not an inexpensive design, to say nothing of the plethora of fans.

It appears that there are plenty of ways they can make it much smaller if they want to, either for a mini-tower or consumer system. An awful lot of room, for instance, seems dedicated to the second processor.

Adding a second optical bay would have required another 2 inches height on the whole thing. Maybe they felt it was as tall as it could be?

All in all, very impressive for a pro machine.

The Jackalope
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 12:50 PM

I'm all about having a friend of mine pin-stripe it when I get one. Aluminum and One-Shot are friends.

MacLone
Jun 25, 2003, 01:47 PM

All that ventilation holes will make it verty dirty in no time. It looks great but is not the right design. I think they should use WATER COOLING systems instead of 9 fans; it does not matter how "quiet" this 9 fans are, they obviously are going to make very audible noices and will be a permanent dirty machine.

daydreamer
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 02:44 PM

Originally posted by MacLone:
All that ventilation holes will make it verty dirty in no time. It looks great but is not the right design. I think they should use WATER COOLING systems instead of 9 fans; it does not matter how "quiet" this 9 fans are, they obviously are going to make very audible noices and will be a permanent dirty machine.

Hmmm, You got a point there.

awcopus
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 03:05 PM

The looks of the new machine...

If you're really horny, and some woman comes along, and she doesn't have a perfect body, and she's sweaty, even a little dirty, wearing gray sweat pants with cheesegrader-like holes, and she starts dancing, and you're watching the way she moves, like no woman you've ever seen before, and then the beat kicks in (uh cha uh cha uh cha), and her semi-see-through sweaty cheesgraded blouse is clinging to her voluptuousnesses, and she's looking right at you and smirking, and remember, you were an absolute horn-dog before she even entered your room....

...and then she leans forward and whispers in your ear....."Want the ride of your life? <uh cha uh cha uh cha uh cha> three <uh cha> thousand <uh cha> dollars <uh cha>...."

What? You're going to say no?

In my case, I'm saying, "later." But that's not the point. The G5 case design isn't going to change by the time I bust a move and grab one of these beasts. I'm inconvenienced by Apple's decision to shun expandability, but I love that you can run this machine with a see-through side-panel and actually see the guts while it's running. It's sexy in a kind of minimalism meets voyerism kind of way. Ives refers to this in his interview with Wired. Check it out:

"Ive picked up a clear plastic cover that sits inside the side door. It is oddly shaped to help air circulate inside the G5.

A purely functional component like this would have been paid little heed by the rest of the computer industry, Ive said. But it was made transparent so people could run their machines with the door off.

"People have disconnected (function) from cosmetics," he said, with a shake of his head."

http://wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,59381-2,00.html

Crusoe
Mac Enthusiast
Jun 25, 2003, 03:48 PM

I really don't like the look compared to current G4 towers but still much nicer than a PC. The vertical ports on the front is the only thing that is off to me. Granted they want to keep the inside uncluttered and these ports line up with the motherboard BUT I spend more time on the outside than the inside. Horizontal, centered ports set lower would look better.

Another thing is all my towers go on the floor, this thing will need a button to eject static fluff bunnies.

Maybe the uncluttered inside is so it's easy to clean.
If a group of mimes are miming a forest and one falls down, does he make a sound?

DeathMan
Mac Elite
Jun 25, 2003, 04:54 PM

So whats the big hangup on only having one drive bay?

Skywalkers new Hand
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 25, 2003, 05:09 PM

Originally posted by DeathMan:
So whats the big hangup on only having one drive bay?
Apple liked to push on the G4's that you could burn a superdisk while using the other optical drive to do other things at the same time.

Also, it is great for copying CD's.

"Wedge, pull out! You're not doing any good back there!"

slider  (op)
Mac Elite
Jun 26, 2003, 10:32 AM

Wow, 200 votes, that has got to be a pretty good sampling. I would not have guess that less 20% didn't like the G5 based on some of the initial post I saw right after the keynote. And if you read the MacNN news page one paper says it lacks the elegance and grace typical of Apple hardware. I think it has a retro feel to it with it's metal case and the grates. I think this is another example of Apple being far ahead of the pack as far as design.

clarkgoble
Mac Elite
Jun 27, 2003, 02:32 AM

I really disliked it at first, but it has grown on me. I think I now like it considerably more than the current or previous gen towers.

jamesa
Grizzled Veteran
Jun 27, 2003, 02:36 AM

should be poll options for one more extreme answer on either side, better gauge of its reception. ie I really, really like the new look, or I really, really don't like the new look.

Just so you know, I really really like the new look

-- james

MusicalTone
Dedicated MacNNer
Jun 27, 2003, 03:17 AM

I love it. I love the texture, the form and the mixture of new and old. It reminds me of an old English sports car, especially with the panel removed to show the two G5 boxes inside, through a clear plastic cover!. Mmm. Very classy. Classic sports car meeets 2003 start of the art cooling. Apple is very much 'ahead of the curve'. It is a testimony to its newness that opinion is divided. I predict that it will become a modern classic before long. Open your mind. Can you imagine how this is gonna evolve over the comming years. Along with better and better chips this thing is gonna be the dogs ****ing ****!

DrBoar
Senior User
Jun 27, 2003, 09:40 AM

It is a pro tower that look pro as well Much as I love the Blue and white smurf tower, pro looking they ain't

Forum Links
Forum Rules