Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Consumer Hardware & Components > Apple Wireless Mouse Question/Observation

Apple Wireless Mouse Question/Observation
iDriveX
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 03:34 PM

I recently got a free wireless mouse for brining in some new business for an Apple Authorized Reseller as a gift. Since I don't have a desktop, and I use my laptop either in my bed or in my papasan chair, I could rarely ever use this mouse but I decided to do a little experiment. I've decided to leave the mouse on 24/7 (never close the optical shutter to turn it off) and see how long the battery life is.

Here's my question, I've noticed in other threads that people have said "Oh my battery life is at 85%" or "It's remaining steady at 90%". But I've had it for three days now and left it on all 72 hours and in the Mouse and keyboard Pref Pane in Panther, I click on "Bluetooth" and it has the name of the mouse and then under it a completely blue bar that hasn't moved at all.

First, Is this normal? Is it actually getting a reading of the battery life or is something wrong?

Secondly, have you guys been estimating the numbers 85% and 90% or is there some place I can look to see the actual percentage of battery life left in my Wireless mouse?

Version 4.0 - Now Powered By iWeb

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 03:38 PM

Also, I just noticed this as I was writing this from the other room, the mouse seems to have an extremely long range for Bluetooth. I would estimate that, in a straight line, going through walls and such, I am about 30 feet from the mouse right now, with one door and two walls between me and the mouse and two airport base stations are in the direct line of sight (through walls) with me and the mouse and the mouse still works.

I noticed this because as I was typing my last post I noticed that my bluetooth menu item still showed I was connected to a bluetooth device. I exited the room, went around the corner and into the room where the mouse is and moved it across the desk, came back into the room with the computer and the cursor was across the screen. My Bluetooth cell phone doesn't have near this much range...

cantcstr8
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Nov 7, 2003, 05:35 PM

I have had my mouse and keyboard for just over a month and have never turned them off. My mouse is one notch less than all blue and the keyboard is two. At this rate I think I ma good for six months.

Very pleased especailly with the mouse. I have used it as a remote clicker for presentations in a big auditorium and it has worked quite well even when a long way form the computer

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 7, 2003, 08:18 PM

I too am very pleased with the mouse. It does exactly what it is advertised to do. It's very smooth and sleek looking, there is no lag. I bet if you didn't allow me to see the mouse, i wouldn't be able to distinguish on-screen performance from the Apple Mouse and Apple Wireless Mouse. Another quality Apple product.

subego
Clinically Insane
Nov 9, 2003, 01:15 PM

Ordered mine right an hour after the Paris keynote. Fired it up the second I got it, and have left it on ever since.

I'd say I'm at 90%. This is an estimation. I haven't found anywhere that has a numeric reading.

I've found the same in terms of range too.

Good stuff.

scaught
Addicted to MacNN
Nov 9, 2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by cantcstr8:
I have used it as a remote clicker for presentations in a big auditorium and it has worked quite well even when a long way form the computer
thats a pretty good idear.

so is it safe to say if youre not actively using the wireless mouse, even though it may be "on", it doesnt use up any juice?

laptop users, does keeping bluetooth on kill your battery alot?

iDriveX  (op)
Mac Elite
Nov 9, 2003, 07:47 PM

It's now been 6 days since I turned the mouse on and I am still at what looks like 100% battery power. The mouse still works great and everything. As for your question saught, I notice very very little reduction in battery life with both airport and bluetooth on. What I DO notice a reduction in though, is if my computer is LOOKING to connect with a Bluetooth device, like actively seeking it*, internet speeds over airport are dramatically reduced. But if a device is connected, everything is fine.

*A good example of this is when Salling Clicker is connected to a phone and then you walk out of the room, the salling clicker (if set) will constantly search for the phone, until it returns.

Forum Links
Forum Rules