Welcome to the MacNN Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

You are here: MacNN Forums > Hardware - Troubleshooting and Discussion > Mac Notebooks > Anyone heard of Ice Pad?

Anyone heard of Ice Pad?
emumu
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Mar 19, 2003, 04:34 PM

Is this a pad that you put your PB17 on to keep the temp low? I saw it once on the net but couldn't find it anymore.

TheBum
Mac Enthusiast
Mar 20, 2003, 12:53 AM

I have one that I use with my 12" PB. You should be able to find them at about any Mac e-tailer. I got mine from Computers4Sure. Just make sure you search for "icepad" (no spaces).

RMXO
Grizzled Veteran
Mar 20, 2003, 12:55 AM

Originally posted by emumu:
Is this a pad that you put your PB17 on to keep the temp low? I saw it once on the net but couldn't find it anymore.
http://www.computers4sure.com/Produc...524714&iid=342
MacBook Pro 15" Unibody | iPhone 16GB 3G

DekuDekuplex
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 03:33 PM

Originally posted by emumu:
See the Macally� ICEPad Web page.

Originally posted on the Macally� ICEPad Web page:
The specially designed air circulating channels reduces [sic] heat build-up from the notebooks. Elastomer coated surface will grip firmly on any objects placed on top of the ICEPad. It can be used both on a desk or on your lap.
--DekuDekuplex
PowerBook® 17-inch [Rev. A] @ 1 GHz
512 MB RAM, 60 GB HD, AEBS, APP/PB
"Furuike ya, kawazu tobikomu mizu no oto."
-- Matsuo Basho

belldandy
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Jan 3, 2004, 03:40 PM

I am playing devil's advocate here. =D

KoolSink
http://www.koolsink.com/

U know you want it, but if your wallet is hurting, don't click the link. =P

mainemanx
Dedicated MacNNer
Jan 3, 2004, 07:32 PM

Originally posted by belldandy:
I am playing devil's advocate here. =D

KoolSink
http://www.koolsink.com/

U know you want it, but if your wallet is hurting, don't click the link. =P
OK, I'll bedevil the advocate ... if this industrious fellow can make this for the 12" ...

http://homepage.mac.com/osamu_i/pb12...nd_200306.html

... then why can't we make it for the 15" and the 17"? I still like it betteer than the KoolSink, a close second choice.

Eh?
HWMO: 2.5gHz DP G5, 1.25 gHz 15" AL PB, 1st Gen iPod, Shuffle
SWMBO: 0.8 gHz 15" FP iMac, 0.5 gHz iBook, 3rd Gen iPod, Shuffle

mmintler
Forum Regular
Jan 4, 2004, 06:50 PM

I use the lapbottom for my al15". It doesn't raise your pb. but it's perfect for sitting on your lap and working.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-
Albert Einstein

Phat Bastard
Mac Enthusiast
Jan 4, 2004, 11:01 PM

I use an Icepad with my 12" PB primarily to raise the screen up. I suppose it keeps the computer cooler, since the fan doesn't come on that much, but the keyboard still gets warm when I use the PB for a long time. The Icepad is great for raising the screen up.

If you're looking for something to cool the computer down, here's an idea: put it to sleep for 5-10 minutes, walk away, have a drink, put some Kraft Dinner on the boil, then come back to a laptop nicely at room temperature. Nothing you can possibly be working on can prevent you from leaving it for 10 minutes.

One last point: the Icepad is sized for a 12" PB/iBook for use with its raising functionality (you can fold it and one half has a leg to raise it over the other half). If you have a 17" PB, you won't be able to fold it in half or raise the laptop much.
The world needs more Canada.
PB 12" 867 MHz, 640 MB RAM, AE, OS 10.4.2
Black iPod nano 4GB

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 11:47 PM

I believe the icepad is made by Laptopdesk . They make 2 types, one that stays flat, and one that you can incline.
David

ddiokno
Mac Elite
Jan 4, 2004, 11:48 PM

Whoops, in my last post, I meant that Laptopdesk probably makes the IcePad for MacAlly....
Warmest regards,
david

hart
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 02:33 PM

well, it's been a while but this is the topic I want so...

I was just looking at the icepad myself and this thread led me to that koolsink thing.

Basically I'm looking for something to raise the 17" powerbook up on an angle so i can work with the keyboard better. I also want to feel fairly certain it isn't going to fall off. whatever I put it on must be stable.

Any one have any up to date feelings about products mentioned here or any additional suggestions.

meanwhile I'm trying the hi-tech book-propping method.

SQLDba
Fresh-Faced Recruit
Oct 3, 2004, 04:12 PM

I use the traveler coolpad (www.coolpad.com). Got it at Staples for under $20. It travels nicely, is very well built, raises your laptop up just a bit, and is a 2 part platform w/ a swivel, kind of like a lazy susan. Really nice when you want to turn your laptop to show someone somthing cool you just did.

Kinda funny - when you look at the Koolsink site, they have a comparison w/ all the other pads out there - including the coolpad. The only thing bad they can say about it is it doesn't look as cool, and since it's plastic, it may break. However, Roadtools (the maker) has un unconditional, lifetime guarantee - so that's a non issue.

Koolsink looks cool - but at $60+ after shipping, I'll stick with my coolpad.

Saramin
Forum Regular
Oct 3, 2004, 04:39 PM

Anyone have any experience with the Koolsink in terms of heat/noise reduction? It seems pretty nice, but 35+ dollars for what is essentially a sloped piece of metal seems a bit steep.

hart
Senior User
Oct 3, 2004, 05:39 PM

I'd be worried with the coolpad that a 17" powerbook would be succeptible to getting catapulted off it if you pressed on the upper corner.

I really like the looks of the koolsink. all the others look fairly....PC. The overall price is a bit much but I'm not totally averse to paying extra for looks and simplicity.

Forum Links
Forum Rules